The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am ready to invest in my next guitar, as my A&L Legacy will be getting a new home up at the cottage used mainly now for campfires . . . I have been doing lots of online research and have played various models in the stores. So I have narrowed it down to a Taylor 214ce but I am struggling with the price difference from $1399-$1850? Other than the variation in woods which equates to sound preference . . . what am I missing in these three guitars that makes up the price difference. I would appreciate any feedback ~ thanks :cool:
214 ce GA Sitka/Layered Koa $1399
214ce GA - CF DLX GA Copafera/Sitka $1699
214 ce K DLX Koa back/Solid Sitka Spruce top $1850

·
Registered
208 Posts
It’s nothing more than the wood itself. It’s that simple, really. Some woods are really expensive. Having said that, I think that for this price range you can do better than a humdrum 214 Taylor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am gathering you are not impressed with my possible selection? lol fair enough . . .

I didn't like the Martin's deeper sound, wasn't impressed with the S&P I tried, Seagulls have weird head stocks, Norman wasn't for me, Furch is out of my price range

Ok so what might you suggest . . . I prefer a slightly smaller, lighter sized guitar - and I am looking for a more fuller sound that what my basic A&L provided - price under $2k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does it have to be new? If you look at high end used in mint condition you get a better guitar, better wood for sure, usually better sound, resale value at what you paid and, well, status. Under $2000 is more than I paid for a number of high end perfect condition guitars that I searched out. Made it seem crazy to buy new imho.

Looking is actually a fun process. You may even find a perfect boutique hand built guitar at $2000. And people won't make comments like 'humdrum' :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
As you tried so many, you probably are at a level for solid wood instead of cheaper layered woods.
Yep ! You can surely find higher grade great guitars though used in the same price range.
No doubt I am quite a Taylor guy though I also own some guitars from other crafters.
I gave myself my Taylor 510 brand new some ten years ago on a special occasion.
Thereafter, got three used Taylors, 512, GS-5 and 712, at around half price of that brand new one, say under 2k$.
I rarely bought brand new ever since. Did you look for Taylor 400 series (solid woods)?
There is currently a nice Taylor 512k in the same price range on reverb... ;-)
Did you also look at Larrivees ? Only solid woods.

Reactions: Cosmo29

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought a gently used Taylor 314ce solid wood......liked it better than new Martin' in the same price range, hardly humdrum. Play them all, different woods have different tones, your ear will tell you what you like.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So I am gathering you are not impressed with my possible selection? lol fair enough . . .

I didn't like the Martin's deeper sound, wasn't impressed with the S&P I tried, Seagulls have weird head stocks, Norman wasn't for me, Furch is out of my price range

Ok so what might you suggest . . . I prefer a slightly smaller, lighter sized guitar - and I am looking for a more fuller sound that what my basic A&L provided - price under $2k.
No, sorry, but I am not a fan of Taylor guitars. I had a 414ce which was a bit of a lemon. Recently sold it for $1700 and was glad to see it go. It’s just me but I think they’re over rated and over priced.

As for the your pick, consider the hi-end solid wood concert S&P and Seagulls (if you can stomach the headstock). They are well within your budget but might be harder to find and try in stores. I am guessing you tried the “lower models?

Breedlove, Takamine, Yamaha, all offer good options in concert, 000 styles.

In used, you might be lucky and find Martins, or Bouchers in OM size in that price range. If you must have a Taylor then you should consider used in the 4 or 5 series.

Either way, happy hunting and do buy what feels good to you so try lots of guitars. It’s all good fun.

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
I checked L&M and Taylor's website and the 214 ce GA Sitka/Layered Koa for $1399 probably has a satin finish and comes with a gig bag. I think the 214ce GA - CF DLX GA Copafera/Sitka for $1699 has a gloss finish and a hard case and may be last year's model. The 214 ce K DLX Koa back/Solid Sitka Spruce top $1850 probably a gloss finish and a hard case and is still a current model. If it has a sunburst finish this could also be an up-charge.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
If there are any Alvarez guitars in your neck of the woods, try one out. I would describe their tone as somewhere in between Taylor and Martin.

Opting for a used Taylor is not a bad idea either.

Reactions: Cosmo29

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
The new PRS SE Tonare is shockingly good and beat out (imo) much more expensive acoustics. I was playing mine last night and it's hard to believe than it is less than a grand all in with taxes. Comes with electronics and hard shell case(!).

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
The new PRS SE Tonare is shockingly good and beat out (imo) much more expensive acoustics. I was playing mine last night and it's hard to believe than it is less than a grand all in with taxes. Comes with electronics and hard shell case(!).
They do sound pretty good. Unfortunately, I think the neck is on the narrow side (1 11/16"). Most other acoustic manufacturers are offering a wider neck on acoustics these days.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
As someone suggested, the S&P Showcase series are well within that range - all solid wood and amazing value. Also, there are Larrivees in that range that would be worth checking out. Laminate back and sides aren't the end of the world, but I would have a hard time paying well over a grand for a laminate guitar.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a Furch. Prefer my Larrivee (a quarter the cost) by quite a large margin (quality/tone/cs/value). Nothing against Taylor tho.

Enjoy your search, and reap the benefits of patient effort.

+1 'used' is a buyer's market. :cool:

Reactions: blue_dog

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Daniel, you hate Taylor but recommend Breedlove.
That speaks to me of a person with very little experience with Breedlove.
Perhaps if you knew more about Breedlove, their historical roots, their building techniques, their tone, their feel, you would also hate Breedlove.

I suggest you do some digging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Perhaps if you knew more about Breedlove, their historical roots, their building techniques, their tone, their feel, you would also hate Breedlove.

I would assume you are saying Taylors are the same because Breedlove came from Taylor ? Maybe he is talking about how they were good before 2011 and for some reason went to crap after.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts

I know for me, I want to like Taylor. I like the brand, and I love their newer pickups and preamps. But, I've never played a Taylor I loved. They have never made me want one. Any Taylor I ever played, I wouldn't pay more than 500 for. The tone just doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I know for me, I want to like Taylor. I like the brand, and I love their newer pickups and preamps. But, I've never played a Taylor I loved. They have never made me want one. Any Taylor I ever played, I wouldn't pay more than 500 for. The tone just doesn't do it for me.
I'm the same. I think they are great guitars for those who like that type of tone and 10's of thousands do.

Reactions: cboutilier

·
Registered
14 Posts
The expression system you like ? Really ? The ES1 wasnt the worst but getting decent sound out of them really takes work. Heard this 09 712 or714 that was cedar/rosewood. Really great sound. The rest ? Nah.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts