The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exact copy with Gibson headstock and logo.

On an American forum, someone is arguing that a USA made copy is legit, a made in Japan copy is desirable, but a Chinese made copy is highly illegal and should be burned.

As I see it, anything made and packaged to look like the real thing, and made without the consent on of the original owner of the brand, is illegal.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I agree. If it says "Gibson" or "Fender" and it's not then it's fake. For some reason I especially take issue when it's stamped "Made in the USA" and it's Chinese.
If it says MIA and it's not, it's fraud. As for the clones, if they don't claim to be a Gibson and are honest about what they are, I don't have much of an issue with them.

The market demands vintage spec Gibson guitars, and Gibson keeps them priced out of reach for the lower 90% of the market.

There's a big market for quality clones, and I believe that it exists because Gibson created it.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
If it says Gibson, Fender, PRS, Rickenbacker and it is made by someone other than them it is fraud.

The same thing if Gibson makes a guitar and puts Agile on it, it's fraud.:D

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Exact copy with Gibson headstock and logo.

On an American forum, someone is arguing that a USA made copy is legit, a made in Japan copy is desirable, but a Chinese made copy is highly illegal and should be burned.

As I see it, anything made and packaged to look like the real thing, and made without the consent on of the original owner of the brand, is illegal.

I've seen that argument made too and it is a stupid one.

Anything that says 'Gibson' on it that was not produced by Gibson, or one of its subsidiaries, is a fake regardless of quality.

But Gibson muddies the waters by putting out Slash signature guitars when the one he played was a copy. So Gibson is against counterfeits but has made a sig model out of a copy.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
What exactly is a signature guitar anyway?
A guitar based on someone famous' guitar? A guitar partially designed by someone famous? A mix of both?

Most of the time, the "reproduction" type is not 100% accurate
And how often do you see said famous guitar player play his stock signature guitar?
It's all marketing

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm honestly so bummed by the frauds lately. It makes it so difficult to feel confident when buying on the used market.

I think they're okay when it is made abundantly clear that they are clones and do not have any decals or labels that say otherwise. But it's just a pain in the ass to sift through sales ads for clearly fraudulent guitars.

A friend of mine had a les Paul he was really proud of, the type of guitar you leave to your kids he told me... it didn't feel good when I told him the reasons the guitar was a fake...

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Most of the time, the "reproduction" type is not 100% accurate
And how often do you see said famous guitar player play his stock signature guitar?
It's all marketing
Strangely enough Randy Bachman often plays an Epiphone Les Paul Slash signature guitar live. I can't find it now but in an interview he said it was stock except he'd added a bigsby.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The reason Chinese guitars are so hated is because some people buy them for $300 and try selling them as legit $3,000 Gibsons. Nobody will do that with a replica.

There totally is a double standard when it comes to fakes and replicas, myself included, but Gibson did do this to themselves and opened the market for high end copies by not offering a period correct product from the start. Instead, they chose to treat customers like chumps by making a few changes every few years. If they offered the 2014 spec historic from the start back in 1993, I'd bet they would have killed a good chunk of the replica market.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Strangely enough Randy Bachman often plays an Epiphone Les Paul Slash signature guitar live. I can't find it now but in an interview he said it was stock except he'd added a bigsby.
Yep, here he is playing the Grey Cup with it. Not sure if it's a Slash sig or a GT, but you can see a Gibson serving a backup role behind him. A good guitar is a good guitar.

I wish Gibson woulda put microchips in their 'bursts in the late 50's. Sure would have solved a lot of problems in this era. ;)

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
In my humble opinion I think that any guitar that is produced for sale which outright duplicates another companies design AND logo in an attempt to pass it off as the real deal is a fake. I have no issues with something like a Tokai or whatever, that copies a Gibson or Fender in every detail but who put there own brandname on the headstock.

In the case of Slash's famous "Les Paul" I really don't have an issue with one off's like this either. There is a difference between a high quality luthier-made copy and a mass produced import copy. Most luthiers (at least based on the one's I know) wouldn't try to pass off a copy as the real thing. Also the quality of such a guitar would be far superior to a Chinese copy and at least on par (if not better) with the guitar it copies. For artists who use vintage and highly desirable guitars it is likely more practical and consistent to have a high end copy of a guitar made than to bring out an original. Same idea goes for the not so famous players, they might never be able to buy a '58 Les Paul but could probably find a luthier who can make one. I would hope that any luthier building one of these would take some sort of measures to indicate that it is a copy (not necessarily the headstock logo but perhaps somewhere else).

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would hope that any luthier building one of these would take some sort of measures to indicate that it is a copy (not necessarily the headstock logo but perhaps somewhere else).
What is the obsession with having a logo that doesn't belong there. If you are going to have a luthier build your dream replica, get your own logo on the headstock. IF I had the money to go that route, I'd make sure MY logo is on the headstock. I have a luthier build me a guitar, it is a custom made JUST FOR ME. I am not spending all that money for it to be mistaken for another Joneses's guitar.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
What is the obsession with having a logo that doesn't belong there. If you are going to have a luthier build your dream replica, get your own logo on the headstock. IF I had the money to go that route, I'd make sure MY logo is on the headstock. I have a luthier build me a guitar, it is a custom made JUST FOR ME. I am not spending all that money for it to be mistaken for another Joneses's guitar.
I agree when it all comes down to it, it's a silly point but I can also see wanting a 'Gibson' that you could never have or that doesn't exist and the only way might be to have it made for you.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
to me, it's not the logo, but the headstock thast is iconic. A logo should neverbe replicated as it could be passed off as such and an unknowing person could really overpay (much more than normal)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This.

I've seen that argument made too and it is a stupid one.

Anything that says 'Gibson' on it that was not produced by Gibson, or one of its subsidiaries, is a fake regardless of quality.

But Gibson muddies the waters by putting out Slash signature guitars when the one he played was a copy. So Gibson is against counterfeits but has made a sig model out of a copy.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts