The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of mods people have on their guitar (i.e the Gilmour switch). Maybe if you can, include how it effects the tone (i.e gives it a more "phat" tone).

Thanks

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
both of my current guitars are stock. but the lp has coil taps on both pick ups. that means i can have humbucker sweetness, or quiet muddy muted tones, depending on my needs.

the ibanez has "tri-sound" switching.

that means i get the hummer in series, (normal) or split (similar to tap) amd paralell, which seems to be a little like 2 single coil pick ups. it's similar to the series sound, but not quite.

the strat i had used to auto split the bridge in position 2, which combined it with the neck pup. stratty quackery with a hummer

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
I swapped the Dragon II's out of my PRS Custom 22 for Seymour Duncan '59's. Turns out, they sound rather similar hahaha! I do prefer the duncans though, and I'm going to hopefully have time to experiment with individual pole piece height etc to really get the most out of it.

I usually swap anything that doesnt say "Seymour duncan" out of a guitar for their medium output pickups. The only time I didn't was an EMG-loaded LTD MH1000, because EMG's in an LTD is a ton of fun!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This SG pictured on the right had at one time 2 DiMarzio Dual Sound Humbuckers and the middle single coil. Each HB was controlled by a 5 way rotary switch(frt coil, rr coil, series, para and phase), both HB together could be joined series, parallel and phase and the single coil could be added to any combination. I believe there were approximately 90 different tone switching options - some subtle, others dramatic.

When I was a Kid I was given a chemistry set. Me being what I am, combined all in one test tube to see what I get. Did the same, later, to this guitar.

·
Premium Member
12,847 Posts
Put a humbucker in a Tele - an SD 59. Didn't do what I hoped so I went back to stock. Put SD's in another guitar and loved what they did there. Other than that, I've been pretty happy with many of the stock pickups I ended up with (like those P90's in the Tribute SG - they rock). I tend to like low output pickups and don't change them unless I have a clear direction I want to go.

But I've put Bigsby's on a couple guitars (me personally on one, my luthier on the other). Nice reversible mods that add to the guitar's sound, weight balance and sex appeal. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
This is how my 3 pup black beauty is wired. PIO caps and 6 way switch

Attachments

Reactions: Mike Darolfi

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Zhangbucker (best p/u winder out there IMO) alnico 6b/4n set in my SG and P90's in my Firebird, some Dimarzio's in a couple others, couple capacitor value changes here and there. My Firebird also had all the gold hardware (yuck!) ripped out in favour of nickel, changed to Gotoh with nylon saddles for the bridge/tailpiece.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
American Standard Strats.

Done several pickup swaps and other odds and ends over the years, but these are the mods that stuck around and are now standard on all my Strats.

Tightened the claw screws to effectively create a fixed bridge. I don't use Trem.
Installed custom pick guards and added high quality, 1 piece copper shielding to back for noise suppression.
Wired the bridge pickup into the mid pickup tone pot for control of the bridge tone.
Installed orange drop cap to tone pots, same value as original, for slightly smoother treble roll off.
Rewired tone and volume pots to right hand sweep. I'm a lefty and righty pots wired backwards to lefty sweep just don't work right. I could have ordered lefty pots but you can't get lefty numbered knobs.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Dimarzio PAF 36th anniversary PUs in my Hagstrom Ultra Swede. I found I lacked dynamics with the stock (hot) pickups. The change worked very well for me. I also added a Duesenberg Tremola (like a bigsby B5). And just yesterday I ordered a roller bridge. All the mods have replaced chrome with nickel as well.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
my strats all have some kind of non-stock pickups,
have dummy coils, and are wired for a single master tone and volume.
a couple have a treble bleed cap added as well.
one of them ive had long enough that pretty much everything but the body and some of the screws and stuff are aftermarket-
just replacing things as needed.
ive got a couple of teles, but they were partscasters and so were never stock, or always have been.
depends how you look at it.
the rest of my electrics are weird old cranky things-
but pretty much stock aside from things that had to be replaced to keep them functioning.

·
Premium Member
4,298 Posts
Okay, here we go!

Telecaster:
Started as a 52 RI.
New tuners, aluminium scratch plate, harmonic design S90 pickups, callaham bridge/saddles, costum lazer cut control plate with 3 toggle switch and reverse controls.

Jaguar:
Started as a 62RI.
New tuners, removed all electronics (no more lead circuit), costum lazer cut control plate for a 3 way toggle switch, removed tremolo, fixed tailpiece, staytrem bridge, seymour duncan lil '59 and JB, updated pots.

Les Paul:
Started as a Traditional.
New tuners, swapped bridge and tail piece for Faber, JS Moore pickups set, new electronic (pots, caps, switch).

Why? 'Cause I don't wanna play a Jag, a Tele or a Les Paul but my Jag, my Tele and my Les Paul. I change what I think would be improvments to my needs and I enjoy the little project it brings.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Most of my mods involve superficial changes - aesthetic ones rather than ones that change the tone... like swapping out vanilla plastic pick guards for ones made of exotic wood or stainless steel, or refinishing the body, that sort of thing... although I am having a lot of fun with a kill switch on one of my Godins... it's a bit of a gimmick but it's nice to have one guitar with that ability.

Reactions: Mike Darolfi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This SG pictured on the right had at one time 2 DiMarzio Dual Sound Humbuckers and the middle single coil. Each HB was controlled by a 5 way rotary switch(frt coil, rr coil, series, para and phase), both HB together could be joined series, parallel and phase and the single coil could be added to any combination. I believe there were approximately 90 different tone switching options - some subtle, others dramatic.

When I was a Kid I was given a chemistry set. Me being what I am, combined all in one test tube to see what I get. Did the same, later, to this guitar.
That is some serious stuff man aha i would love to see a video one day of all the tones

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zhangbucker (best p/u winder out there IMO) alnico 6b/4n set in my SG and P90's in my Firebird, some Dimarzio's in a couple others, couple capacitor value changes here and there. My Firebird also had all the gold hardware (yuck!) ripped out in favour of nickel, changed to Gotoh with nylon saddles for the bridge/tailpiece.
Nice man do you have a pic?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, here we go!

Telecaster:
Started as a 52 RI.
New tuners, aluminium scratch plate, harmonic design S90 pickups, callaham bridge/saddles, costum lazer cut control plate with 3 toggle switch and reverse controls.

Jaguar:
Started as a 62RI.
New tuners, removed all electronics (no more lead circuit), costum lazer cut control plate for a 3 way toggle switch, removed tremolo, fixed tailpiece, staytrem bridge, seymour duncan lil '59 and JB, updated pots.

Les Paul:
Started as a Traditional.
New tuners, swapped bridge and tail piece for Faber, JS Moore pickups set, new electronic (pots, caps, switch).

Why? 'Cause I don't wanna play a Jag, a Tele or a Les Paul but my Jag, my Tele and my Les Paul. I change what I think would be improvments to my needs and I enjoy the little project it brings.
Ya man forsure, always gotta make you own tone sound how you want it to be

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Also have my Bass VI project...
20160127_124946.jpg

So that started life as a Pawn Shop version. I got a new guard from Tony @ Pickguardian (awesome to deal with), installed Dimarzio FS1's in the middle and neck, and I've got a 57 Classic in the bridge for now. Put the Staytrem bridge on, got a chrome control plate cut by a guy at the Offset forum... Kalium strings... that's it for now but there's still work to be done.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The most important mods on my guitar are the Fender high ratio locking tuners
and the Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele neck pickup
I had to drill a hole for the pickup and expand the cavity under the pots to install a 3 way switch
The noiseless together with the stock Duncan designed gives me a few no typical Tele sounds that I use quite a bit.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
ive done other mods to my guitars, but some of them seemed kinda common so i didn't mention them. i have had several guitars i changed pick ups on, and the strat got locking tuners, a gold bridge, tremol-no, new knobs, pickguard and plastics as well as copper shielding and a roller nut. the 533 got tuners, a graphite nut, and all black hardware as well as new pots and caps. sometimes i like working on guitars, but sometimes i don't. i like it when i do it cause i want to. i don't like it when i do it out of necessity

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Some Gibby purists might not like what I did back in the 80's. I had my '79 LP Deluxe rerouted at the Bridge to facilitate a Duncun Custom (DCJ) which is an original S5 (folowing the JB models). It was wired with a push pull knob on the tone for coil tapping. The guitar has a really unique sound compared to stock. Everything else is original.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts