Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Jam with people for fun

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Session musician

Votes: 3 6.4%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
G

·
I currently play bass with a local basement band. We're weekly jammers. Covers.
Not really going the gigging scene yet, but if something comes up ..
Last night I joined/auditioned for a second band. Bass there as well.
I'm actually freelancing with them at the moment because they're not sure of future plans, as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
For at least 20 years (if not more) a friend has been holding jams in his garage. I have attended these sporadically, depending on what has been happening in my life. We have always maintained phone contact. The jams are now only acoustic and I have started attending a few recently.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I played in original bands in Vancouver and Toronto until I was 30 and then I called it a day when someone quit the band and I just couldn't deal with wading through the crazies again to find another replacement yet again.

"Hey I'm calling about your ad for a drummer!"
"Cool, what kind of drums do you have?"
"Well I don't have any drums right now but let's jam dood!"
Repeat

Now I play at home by myself, a buddy and I get together and jam/record, various campfire jams and occasionally I attend a folky song circle type thing with an amazing fiddle player.

Rarely touch the electric these days.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
I played in original bands in Vancouver and Toronto until I was 30 and then I called it a day when someone quit the band and I just couldn't deal with wading through the crazies again to find another replacement yet again.

"Hey I'm calling about your ad for a drummer!"
"What kind of drums do you have?"
"Well I don't have any drums right now but let's jam dood!"
Repeat
lol, that sounds really familiar.

We once auditioned a bassist and decided to call him back for a 2nd run a week later. He couldn't remember auditioning for us and got upset when I mentioned a few things he'd told us at the audition (info about his old jam space and stuff, nothing personal). He legit seemed upset that I knew anything about him! Nothing more weird than musicians :p

I'm in a working cover band. Been in the band for 9 years. Everything from Motown to Top 40. Lots of fun!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This band...

February, by National Divide

We used to gig a lot. Not nearly as much anymore. For single-set shows, we'd be 90% original with a couple of covers thrown in. If we had to do 4 sets in a night, by necessity we'd end up playing 75% covers.
Hey man I just listened to a couple of your songs and you guys sound really good.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Active with 3 different groups plus jams with others when i have time. I have been fortunate to be in bands non stop since 1978. I still enjoy playing and hope to for a long long time.......

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
I'm in 2 bands right now. One is an original acoustic blues quartet, Carolyn Fe Blues Collective 4 (singer, 2 guitars and upright bass) and a 5 piece blues/R&B cover band called River Blues, that I'm in the process of forming, should be out and gigging early next year.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
My personal live project is on bypass. I'm currently playing bass with as many projects as I can fit in my schedule, I usually arrange different prices for rehearsals and shows. Most of the work I get as a guitarist nowadays is making recordings online, I have a fixed price per song no matter if its acoustics, electric or both.
Still I have plenty of time to work on my recording project and I'm about to release my second album in 2018.

·
Premium Member
18,551 Posts
Nice.

Looks like you are a playing a show with Protest The Hero.

My sister is good friends with Tim's wife.
We played with them last december and shared a jamspace with them before that (never met then). I would love to play with them again!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
lol, that sounds really familiar.

We once auditioned a bassist and decided to call him back for a 2nd run a week later. He couldn't remember auditioning for us and got upset when I mentioned a few things he'd told us at the audition (info about his old jam space and stuff, nothing personal). He legit seemed upset that I knew anything about him! Nothing more weird than musicians :p
Bass players are a different breed. A few years ago, we had one contact us re: a Craigslist ad and agreed to meet at Grossmans where we were playing an open mic. The guy took a video of one of the tunes and posted to YouTube but never introduced himself or responded to follow up emails :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts