The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like some, some I hate. I ask this question because I recently covered Taylor Swift's new song, "Call It What You Want". I made a clean electric version of the tune. I do enjoy this song, but I know pop music is controversial. It's an easy choice when I choose what to cover since it's so searchable and helps bring exposure to me.

The song has only been out for a few days so I had to work quickly to get this one out there. I threw in some fills and decorations too. (That sweep at the start isn't part of the song haha)

Here's the performance if anyone is interested

Let me know what you fellas think. Cheers

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I listened to some of it. Pretty good playing and maybe you could do session work if that kinda career move came your way.

As for popular music, a lot of it is competent but I can never listen to the stuff on the radio for more than 10 seconds in fact I hardly ever even try.

But then again, I'm pretty far away from that demographic anyway. I will listen to classical music and even opera then pick up a guitar and play shit kicker bluegrass or southern rock type stuff from Blackberry Smoke to the Stanley Brothers.

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
I've never really been into mainstream pop. I pay more attention to the instrumentation than the vocals.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I didn't click the vid either.
There are plenty of things to dislike about new music.
Lack of originality is one.
Lack of talent is another.
Lack of musicality ... that's a big one. Where are the melodic and harmonic flows?

Most of those things only matter to musicians, though.
The general public couldn't care less what we think of it.

Personally, my biggest issue with music today is the filthiness of it.
Lyrics, yes, they're filthy but that's not what I mean.
Everything has built in distortion now even when it should be crystal clear and clean.
It sounds fucking awful.
It's not just the top 40 club music, either.
Even country music is starting to sound like shit.
Everything sounds like they recorded it on a hand held device and then pushed all the volumes up until it's cracking.
And the fucking idiot young people today, if they don't hear "that sound" in the music they hate it.
Holy shit, I know I sound like my dad right now but the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I didn't click the vid either.
There are plenty of things to dislike about new music.
Lack of originality is one.
Lack of talent is another.
Lack of musicality ... that's a big one. Where are the melodic and harmonic flows?

Most of those things only matter to musicians, though.
The general public couldn't care less what we think of it.

Personally, my biggest issue with music today is the filthiness of it.
Lyrics, yes, they're filthy but that's not what I mean.
Everything has built in distortion now even when it should be crystal clear and clean.
It sounds fucking awful.
It's not just the top 40 club music, either.
Even country music is starting to sound like shit.
Everything sounds like they recorded it on a hand held device and then pushed all the volumes up until it's cracking.
And the fucking idiot young people today, if they don't hear "that sound" in the music they hate it.
Holy shit, I know I sound like my dad right now but the world is going to hell in a handbasket.
Lack of originality? What genre?
Lack of talent? again what genre?
Lack of musicality?
There's an entire genre that's based vocal rhythms consisting of triplets.
I get the idea of you not liking it, but you're obviously uneducated in "modern music" I do not care for a lot of it but you really don't have a grasp on it whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I watched it and i say its always good to expand your horizons by playing things that aren't really "your style" i always basterdize songs to me. I don't know the song and don't follow the singer... but you nailed it man, kudo's to you.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I never have a radio on anymore. I know some names but don't know any of the music.

I stopped listening to current popular music...a long, long time ago. So, no opinion.

The stuff that was popular when I was in school was very simple and happy, and I couldn't stand it. Then everything got violent and stupid, and I couldn't have cared less.

And now I don't even hear it.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I find a lot of people will get stuck or not so much stuck but just play and continue to play the music they grew up with. My dad for example is in his mid 60’s and does not care for or will not even listen to any new music, depending on how “good” it is or not. He’ll continue to play the songs he grew up with.

I’m in my 30’s so yeah I like the older stuff but going through high school in the 90’s you couldn’t help but hear all the alternative as they call it music. I’ll continue to play the older stuff but always look into new bands like arcade fire or cage the elephant. Both or not really pop bands and cage the elephant has some cool guitar riffs and actually prett wild bass lines.

It’s all about expanding your horizons as someone already mentioned. If people like my dad had all the music that he can handle in a lifetime than that’s fine but all new music is not garbage.

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
I gave up on radio many years ago, make that decades ago. Besides, I live in a radio wasteland anyway, except for CBC. Online radio is the way to go, though it's hardly radio in the historical sense.

Current pop music is too repetitive to interest me, even when I consider that all music is derivative. I do hear a lot of it as it's regularly requested by my private music students, and I comply where I think it's appropriate. Not much of it seems very clever, either musically or lyrically, but there are benefits to kids learning some, primarily that it becomes a gateway to other music. I'm careful not to impose my tastes on students too much, but it's also my (self proclaimed) duty to introduce them to music that they were previously unaware.

Too many songs are based on a short repetitive chord progression, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself (I dig a lot of riff rock), but when combined with an equally repetitive melody line, bland dynamics, looped tracks, pitch correction software, little or no instrumental solo/cadenza/improvised section, forgettable lyrics, and a tendency to sound like all other pop music, it becomes pablum.

It's not that there aren't gems among the gravel, it's just that one has to shovel too much gravel to find them.

One little corner of the pop music world I really enjoy is the corner occupied by the re-interpreted versions by Post Modern Jukebox.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Lack of originality? What genre?
Lack of talent? again what genre?
Lack of musicality? There's an entire genre that's based vocal rhythms consisting of triplets.
I get the idea of you not liking it, but you're obviously uneducated in "modern music" I do not care for a lot of it but you really don't have a grasp on it whatsoever.
We are talking about popular music, the one that's built in factory to fill in the brains of kids with garbage; modern is a broad concept that probably excludes today's canned pop songs

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Not a fan of mainstream pop music. Some of it is okey but prefer the older stuff, whether its rock, pop, country,jazz, classic etc..

·
Registered
662 Posts
I like modern music, but modern pop music is pretty much garbage. If I hear one more song about girls and love, or “partying all night”, I’m gonna give myself the Van Gogh treatment. Basically, the songs have no substance and are unrelatable to 90% of the general population.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
For the most part, the only radio I listen to anymore is talk radio. The music stations are just droning loops of droning loops.

I'm even less interested in clickbait of covers of said droning music. What's the point? Fame? Fortune? Chix? OK, the last one I get. Been there, done that.

This thread is going places. Subscribed.
LOL

I would just like to say that all guitar players that use any effect pedal of any type at all are lazy buggers. Lazy!!!! Flame suit on .............

Reactions: bw66

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
On road trips, the radio is tuned to classic rock,as long as there is a station within range. I do indulge the Mrs. with a few teeth clenching kilometres of pop, made bearable if the news hits at the top of the hour or a contest comes on the station. Artists? Well I can stomach a couple of Adeles and maybe Ed Sheerans but most tunes have pointless lyrics that I can't even understand. I mean who has a kitchen by the water's edge to make cake by the ocean! Apparently there is enough of an audience to pay the bills. I do have a couple of questions. Does anyone else find Virgin Radio to be an ironic channel name? Am I allowed to try an Ed Sheeran acoustic if I don't listen to the artist? Should I give him a listening chance? Has anyone tried, owned his Martin model? Deep, yea troubling thoughts indeed.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts