The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Oh yeh ! Fifteen minutes does matter : Frequent short repetitions is always better than rare long tiring practice bouts of exercises to drive muscles and brain to perform better.
I am currently correcting the wrong way I have been used to fret notes for more than thirty years: I do so working pentatonic scales a few minutes each time I come by the guitar lying at hand on her stand.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Warm-ups, scales, drills, and exercises (etudes) provide the greatest physical (technique) and auditory (understanding) benefit in the shortest period of time. Excerpts are more practical than full pieces when there are time constraints. I make 15 minutes make a difference all the time, because my day is broken up by appointments and interruptions, otherwise I wouldn’t progress or have any fun.

Frequency is more important than duration, and helps avoid mental and physical fatigue.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
I’ve heard that it’s better to practice regularly for short periods than once in awhile for a long time.

I don’t exactly practice I just pick it up and play when I feel like it which is pretty much every night for about an hour usually but sometimes less. Then I’ll play on the weekends for hours sometimes most of the day and go to a jam also for 3 hours or so.

Some days don’t play at all just to rest my hands. I don’t need to play as much as a do to stay in practice so been thinking I should conserve a bit so I don’t get hand problems. No physical problems yet or arthritis and such but to play bluegrass type runs and stuff like that on a dread with mediums for hours on end does take a lot of strength.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I'll concur with most that short practice sessions like 15 minutes is a great approach. As long as you're consistent with it. You'll get a hell of a lot more accomplished with seven 15 minute sessions a week than one 2 hour session a week for example. Short sessions everyday reinforces what you've been learning and you won't forget what you did the day before typically. Shorter sessions also help you focus on specific goals. Want to get better at bends? Practice them for 15 minutes. Slides? Trills? Keys? take your pick. Great topic @apixamonkey

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I've always got a guitar within easy reach in the living room. I'll often pick it up and put in 10 to 15 minutes - usually going over band songs I'm learning. Of course, sometimes that 15 minutes becomes 60 or 90 if inspiration suddenly rears it's head.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
I try to go a minimum of 30 minutes, after all my research it seems frequent short sessions per week is better than an hour one day a week. I do my major scale fingering, the never lost pentatonic system, play a few riffs, maybe a song or two.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
15m? 3/4 of the set.

Reactions: bw66

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
A bit OT for the thread question but......I'd like to suggest that 15 minutes is probably close to the minimum of time anyone should spend practicing every day. Another good approach is to take a certain chunk of time of the day....say 7 - 8 at night, and break that into 4 - 15 minute chunks on various things or 6 - 10 minute chunks. The point is to get the most out of the time allotted to that specific goal. If you sit there for an hour just randomly noodling at whatever comes to mind, it won't turn out to be a focused and accurate end result. You want to achieve a set goal. Sorry for going OT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts