The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
I took my Marshall Jackhammer off my board for last week's band jam, first time it had been off in oh god 10 years or so.

It's going back on this weekend. I felt naked.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Fairfield Electronics Barbershop OD. Clean boost, "transparent" pushing of your amp's overdrive, saggy tweed distortion, mild fuzz. It has many uses and is made in Canada to boot.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm a Kingsley fan. Just got a Jouster and already had a Minstrel. Both incredible pedals with so many OD tones that I think I am set for OD. Sold my OCD, which was good before I heard Simon's stuff and then that was sold too..........

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Basic Audio Futureman is rubbing me the right way these days. OD to mild fuzz, but I almost exclusively use it as a tone colouring OD. Can't stand TS's myself - don't care for that sound.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Too many to choose. I'm somewhat partial to 4049-invertor based overdrives, and I also kind of like Doug Hammond's Highway 89 design.

It also depends on whether one considers an "overdrive pedal" to be something that produces an overdriven sound on its own, or something that sends an amp into overdrive.

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
At present, I'm using either the Zendrive or the Lovepedal Eternity Roadhouse. I don't know if I'll consider them my best OD though. Depending on how I feel at a particular moment, I could be using a Barber Direct LG, a Fairfield Barbershop, a Timmy, a Mojo Pedal Klon Klone or a Catalinbread Super Charged Overdrive.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My personnal favorites right now are the Wampler Euphoria and Analogman Beano Boost.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I am a simple man.

the first OD i ever bought was my OCD and it's still on my board.

I also have a green rhino on my board that i use from time to time

I'll be honest and say I haven't tried many others, but mostly because I'm quite happy with what I have

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
MJM Phantom OD. I keep trying other stuff, and there are lots of really cool sounds out there, but nothing scratches the itch like a good Tube Screamer.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
It's a hard question to answer. It's like asking which guitar is my best - the answer is it depends on the song I'm playing or the band I'm in.

For dirt pedals, I've gone through dozens over the years and the ones that I liked best are the Paul Cochrane Timmy, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2, and Carl Martin Plexitone. Out of all the pedals I've tried, these ones had the most versatility and the most useful characteristics in terms of sound, ergonomics, etc. I've owned the Timmy and and FD2 twice now, and I'm keeping the ones I have forever this time. My OCD has been with me for 3 years or so, which is FOREVER in terms of pedalboard life for a dirtbox. The Plexitone is newish to me, only a few months in. It's huge and requires AC, both of which are annoying, but it sounds so glorious and has so much versatility (given that you like a nice driven tone, it doesn't do low gain at all, really) that it's worth the drawbacks.

Honourable mentions for me also go to the Tubescreamer, which I love to push amps, though the Timmy and FD2 also do that well; also the Z.Vex Box of Rock is awesome too - sounds amazing, but I really dislike the form factor. Switches are too close to each other and the knobs. I've owned two, loved both and gotten rid of both because I just can't use them live.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've been through a whole bunch of light gain ODs over the past few years. Lots of them are excellent, like the Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop, the Timmy, the C&E FET Dream, etc.

Currently using my favorite of the bunch, the Stunt Monkey Tone Grenade. Goes from light-mid OD, uses a real 12au7 tube for a good natural/rich sound and nice decay. Stacks really well, and I run it at the end of my dirt chain for that reason.

The rest of my current dirt pedals are all super tweakable, with all kinds of OD/Distorition/Fuzz tones on tap, and still I find myself going for that Tone Grenade time and time again.

Dirt section runs: Blackout Effectors Seriously Special Twosome -> Empress Multidrive -> Farndurk Mega9 -> Stunt Monkey Tone Grenade

·
Registered
12 Posts
love my wampler plexidrive for grindy marshall tones out of my cathode biased EL84 Traynor YGL2 and my visual sound angry fuzz for some radical gary clark jr tones

1 - 20 of 158 Posts