The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
Mainly Fenders and G&L
1,852 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I think you have summed it up pretty well here. I would agree with what you are saying. As time goes on "vintage" will change. I am also a fan of the early MIJ guitars. Love them.

I love the early MIJ strats, they approach custom shop quality...

· Premium Member
Mainly Fenders and G&L
1,852 Posts
Robert1950 said:
For Amercian gear, I'd agree with the 1950-60s definition. Take Epiphone for example, you have the Before Gibson and the Kalamazoo era Epiphones. From 1970 on, they were made in Japan, then sometime after 1985, they were made in Korea. The pre Gibson and Kalamzoo Epis are Vintage. The Japanese are not, unless you throw them in with other Japanese makers like Tokai, Greco, Burny, etc. Anything made before 1985 is considered vintage in terms of Japanese guitars, the law suit guitars for example.

I have a 70s Epi Riviera. Definitely not vintage by Amercian definition, but is it by the Japanese one?? Just a thought.

Fender Amps is another example. Anything built before the CBS era, But then they did continue to build the black face amps until 1967 unchanged. So anything from the 1968 silver face era on is not vintage in my eyes. Though I've heard that the Rivera era amps are killers (82-86?), but that's another topic.
The first few years under CBS the amps didn't change drastically. The first silverfaces were just a change basically in grille cloth. After the stock ran down the changes started to come on. Same with there guitars until the early seventies other than logos not much change, woods the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.