The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a hum, white noise, what?

My question is what pedal would stop this - a regular noise gate, a hum debugger, etc.

I have all four Eventide Factor pedals in the loop of my amp and it sound like a plane driving on the tarmac.

I'm using a Pedal Power Digital with 4 isolated supplies. When I roll back the volume on the guitar, everything is quiet.

The sound is HUGE, but I want the noise gone. I start here with all 4 pedals on and then take them out one at a time near the end.

[soundcloud] https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fklon-solo%2Feventide-factor-noise

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Member @CMCRAWFORD indicated his H9 had issues with hum in my Eventide H9 thread. It can also be many factors contributing to the hum including having 4 units plugged into the loop. Your situation is not unusual and unless the noise gate is going trough the loop, not sure it can help. A power conditioner may help as well when the 4 units are powered on - the Furman unit I have does an incredible job at the rehearsal space - from loud jet hiss to almost nothing.

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/eventide-h9.164953/

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Member @CMCRAWFORD indicated his H9 had issues with hum in my Eventide H9 thread. It can also be many factors contributing to the hum including having 4 units plugged into the loop. Your situation is not unusual and unless the noise gate is going trough the loop, not sure it can help. A power conditioner may help as well when the 4 units are powered on - the Furman unit I have does an incredible job at the rehearsal space - from loud jet hiss to almost nothing.

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/eventide-h9.164953/
Thanks. I'll look into what a power conditioner does exactly and see what the difference is between it and my pedal power. I really expected the Pedal Power to deal with it.

Here is the description of my pedal power:

Pedal Power Digital® is a linear (analog) power supply for high-current DSP-based pedal effects and accessories. With 4 completely isolated, filtered, and regulated output sections, Pedal Power Digital Keeps your pedals dead quiet and free from high-frequency noise that occurs with digital "switching" power supplies.

G

·
That sounds very annoying. What is your volume at on the pedals vs the amp? I would try to set the pedals up so when they are off, the straight through volume is close to what it is when they are on. As in you don't want a big jump in volume coming from the pedals.

I saw a video about ACDC's rig rundown. Angus's rig uses the Rocktron Hush pedal. I bought a Rocktron Guitar Silencer pedal. It really has changed my pedalboard for the better, but more so with OD style pedals, and more when the guitar is not playing. But I would say it is one of the most important pedals on my board. I run it before all my delay and time based pedals though. If your noise disappears with the guitar volume off, it would help immensely with that. The GS pedal has both the Hush and a really nice noise gate.

G

·
The other issue is the Eventide pedals are not true bypass, so each pedal may be making some noise and the next and the next building it. Single coil or buckers?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, they definitely feed off each other.

Would eliminating the non-bypass with a looper stop the pedals from feeding off each other?

There's a youtube set-up with three factor pedals and I can't hear any noise. I'm not sure if it's the two non-eventide pedals.
Cable management Electronics Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Technology

G

·
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, they definitely feed off each other.

Would eliminating the non-bypass with a looper stop the pedals from feeding off each other?

There's a youtube set-up with three factor pedals and I can't hear any noise. I'm not sure if it's the two non-eventide pedals.
View attachment 158033
I would think the looper would just take out of the equation what you are not using, making your pedals very true bypass. As in bypassing them completely when clicked off at the looper.

I am curious about the volume levels with the pedals on and off.

Also if you have single coils or humbuckers?

G

·
What is the voltage and mA draw on each pedal and what voltage and mA is provided by each tap on your power supply?

I checked PP has 2 9v 400 mA, and 2 9v/12v/400 mA

There may be some slight starvation at powerup but you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Having the noise go away when you turn the guitar volume down says to me that the noise is coming from (or being picked up by) the guitar. Dimmer switch or some other noise source nearby? Single coils?

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
I know I keep extolling the virtues of this little bit of magic but it does also have an excellent noise reduction built in. Works very similar to an ISP Decimator, and in my opinion it's actually a bit better. The one drawback to any of these that I've tried is that there is a trade off between noise and sustain. having said that the MS70 does allow me to find a sweet spot. I don't use multiple modulation pedals very often but when I get carried away stacking OD's the noise gate comes in very handily.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
Loopers are great. Just wires, jacks, and if you want lights then LED's and a battery clip or power jack.

You can put as many pedals as you want, from 1 to infinite, in any single loop - say I want fuzz and delay for a solo, put them in a loop, turn them both on, turn that loop off until needed then they are 100% out of the signal chain.

You can run the loops out front or in your FX loop. You can run as many of each as you want, it more depends on your tolerance for running lots of cables, as they can fairly quickly add up.

Dave and his mental new avatar are talking about sustain, I'll elaborate on that a bit. Noise gates like an ISP Decimator G String, which is what I used to use (I play bass now, I don't need a big board and loops and gates) cut noise by cutting off the noisy part of the signal. The sensitivity is what you adjust - turn THIS knob until you don't hear any more noise when amp and guitar on, but not strumming or picking strings. Problem can be, the higher you turn that to tame noise, the sooner it will kick in when you ARE playing. I'd be droning out a feedback ending or holding a sustained note and the ISP would grab and cut off if I had it set high enough to take ALL of the noise out of my signal when not playing. So, there had to be a compromise. I still loved the ISP (and so did my band mates) even if it left *some* noise when not playing, it tamed so much and so well.....I could just put my hand on the strings and get silence, instead of having to mute the whole amp output. Rambling run on paragraphs are the BEST, aren't they?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would think the looper would just take out of the equation what you are not using, making your pedals very true bypass. As in bypassing them completely when clicked off at the looper.

I am curious about the volume levels with the pedals on and off.

Also if you have single coils or humbuckers?

I would be using them together for the most part.

There is no significant drop or rise in volume.

I will be using single s and humbuckers

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the voltage and mA draw on each pedal and what voltage and mA is provided by each tap on your power supply?

I checked PP has 2 9v 400 mA, and 2 9v/12v/400 mA

There may be some slight starvation at power up but you should be good to go.
Those numbers are right. However, the back of the factors all say 1200mA

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like the biggest culprit is the Reverb for some reason.

I'm on the cusp of just selling everything.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
I've heard Pedal Powers can introduce noise. Maybe you need some kind of power conditioner?

It could also be an issue of trans-conductance somewhere, meaning one item is making noise, therefore, by powers I don't understand (but maybe an engineer could) the item beside it will make noise, even though they're not directly connected.

·
Administrator
17,302 Posts
It looks like the biggest culprit is the Reverb for some reason.

I'm on the cusp of just selling everything.
probably because they didn't call it "reverbfactor".

I can't think of a single modulation/delay/reverb type pedal that added noise to my pedalboard, at least in a home setting. I've played in bars, one in particular, that played havoc with the entire board but that was 60 cycle hum. The sound you recorded sounds to me like what I get when I'm running too much gain or stacking OD's.

Reactions: Adcandour
1 - 20 of 32 Posts