The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost exclusively a clean player, so I'm mostly searching to see if anyone has played a guitar that goes from jazz warm through to tele bright with the least compromise - or as close to that as you've experienced!

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
My Telecaster is about the most versatile electric that I have followed by my Firebird V.

·
Premium Member
10,759 Posts
166295_10150106789806291_1797371_n.jpg

I had a Godin Richmond Belmont, 5 position switch, SD humbucker at the bridge and two SD lipstick pickups, so basically wired like a Strat with the ingenious pickup combination. If it hadn't weighed so much I would have kept it. Gobs of tone in every position.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
My tele with an old supro pickup in the neck.
Goes from dark wooly almost archtop types tones to almost gretchy type tones.
Bridge pickup is a broadcaster - can do the tele thing and with the tone knob it can do a thick rock tones too.

Add a bigsby and it can cover pretty much anything I need.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I have a Parker Nitefly and it is the most versatile I own. It's an HSS configuration with a Duncan JB in the bridge, Duncan hot rails for strat in the neck and the stock dimarzio single coil in the middle. It has a coil split to make it a SSS configuration and also has a piezo that can be used on it's own or blended with the normal pickups. 5 way switch. Just packed full of tones. If I had to cover a lot of ground at a cover gig it's what I would take.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
I'm almost exclusively a clean player, so I'm mostly searching to see if anyone has played a guitar that goes from jazz warm through to tele bright with the least compromise - or as close to that as you've experienced!
Sounds like you answered your own question. Check out the Baja Telecaster for an extra range of tonal options from the basic two pickups.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I buy different types of guitars for their unique voices.
That said, my HSS American Ultra Stratocaster with the 5 position selector and S1 switching, which splits the humbucker, is probably the most diverse sounding guitar I own.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
A Gibson Nighthawk will do a lot. Unfortunately they look weird and never really took off. Plus if you didn't like the slanted bucker, you couldn't get a replacement.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have almost the same answer as @DeeTee - used to have a Gibson Blueshawk with P-90's and "varitone" circuit would be my pick still. I expect to see a lot of Godin's on this post - my A6 Ultra Koa would be up there in versatility.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
@davetcan +1 That was such a fantastic guitar! Do you still have it?

A hot rodded tele with a bucker in the neck is always my go to
No that went in the first purge. I'm starting purge 2 right now. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Check out the Baja Telecaster for an extra range of tonal options from the basic two pickups.
Wired my tele Baja style years ago,
series/parallel plus in/out of phase switches via push/push pots.
Replaced the bridge pu with an SD noiseless for higher output rock twang
and the neck with a GF '63 for clear warmth, kinda jazz-like.
Lately I also changed the tone cap.
In the middle position out of phase I can get a bit of a stat vibe.
It has some good variety of tones.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts