The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that many players like the patina that builds on Gibson nickel hardware after 20-25 years, but my issue is that it is very uneven and spotty, sort of like post-gig sweat spots. I tried the Gibson low-abrasion metal cream, and (very gently) some commercial cleaners like Brasso and NevrDull, no dice. I don't want to bring it back to factory (and I don't want to age it either), but I'd like to get rid of the most obvious spotty tarnish. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
18,037 Posts
Get the rest of it sweaty?

If you dont want to go back to factory fresh, im not sure what the options are.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Connoisseurs Revitalizing Jewelry Cleaner may do the job, but you will have to remove the hardware to dump it in the fluid. On our old British bikes, we used autosol on chrome, aluminum, any metal surface.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Good time to upgrade the hardware.
Sometimes it's the plating that disintegrates and leaves the exposed metal that will never polish. You either play as is or replace.
Hey, a better bridge can go a long way to improve the responsiveness.

The pickup covers can be taken down to the raw metal to do that brushed steel kind of look. I just did this with some tarnished gold covers. They look great now.

·
Premium Member
5,191 Posts
I think you are on the right rack with the Brasso, except that brass is very soft so the brasso is probably even milder, especially if you are trying to polish nickel. Something that is an actual metal polish should do the the trick. Simichcrome is one that comes to mind.

Reactions: Powdered Toast Man

·
Premium Member
11,061 Posts
Google “nickel plating near me”

·
Registered
35 Posts
The best I found for all my detailing is Autosol, pricey $20 tube (CTire) but it last a long time , you dont need much. I used it on my 57 chevy for all the chrome and stainless steel and it looks like new, so I started using it for my guitar work with great results. The Gibson stuff is ok for polishing but to bring back rust/pitted/ dull spots this stuff worx best of anything Ive used. My clients are impressed with results, Ive used it on all my vintage guitars, if this doesnt work replace the part.
Be careful!! some of the cheaper products have abrasives which temp work but cause more damage in the long run.

Lovin the Blues, Livin to Cruz

·
Registered
881 Posts
The best I found for all my detailing is Autosol, pricey $20 tube (CTire) but it last a long time , you dont need much. I used it on my 57 chevy for all the chrome and stainless steel and it looks like new, so I started using it for my guitar work with great results. The Gibson stuff is ok for polishing but to bring back rust/pitted/ dull spots this stuff worx best of anything Ive used. My clients are impressed with results, Ive used it on all my vintage guitars, if this doesnt work replace the part.
Be careful!! some of the cheaper products have abrasives which temp work but cause more damage in the long run.

Lovin the Blues, Livin to Cruz

I did not know this product, tank's to share

Capture d’écran, le 2020-12-18 à 14.26.28.png

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I've had good results refurbishing metal bits on cars and guitars with a 6" soft brass wire wheel on a bench grinder. Once you get a feel for the right amount of pressure , you can get a nice finish back very quickly without destroying the part.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry for the necro thread resurrection, it took a long time for me to get around to this. So I decided to keep it to a simple polish and not go the route of changing covers or re-plating. I Googled the most popular recommendations and ordered Autosol, Music Nomad, Blue Magic and Flitz.

Here is the worst I have to clean - Gibson 57 Classics pickups. They came out of my Epi doubleneck which I mostly used live. They ended up sweaty from wrangling that beast under the stage lights and not being able to wipe it down till after the show. I'll report back on results as soon as I get the polishes next week!!!

If all else fails, I will try the Anusol - you never know! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far, I tried Blue Magic, MusicNomad and Autosol on the above pickups - they all worked reasonably well, but Autosol seemed to have the best results.
Given that it is locally available at Canadian Tire and reasonably priced, I would definitely recommend Autosol.
I have not received Flitz yet but it came strongly recommended so I will try it last. I still have 2 sets of pickups and assorted hardware to do, but I will not remove it from the guitar to polish it.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
So far, I tried Blue Magic, MusicNomad and Autosol on the above pickups - they all worked reasonably well, but Autosol seemed to have the best results.
Given that it is locally available at Canadian Tire and reasonably priced, I would definitely recommend Autosol.
I have not received Flitz yet but it came strongly recommended so I will try it last. I still have 2 sets of pickups and assorted hardware to do, but I will not remove it from the guitar to polish it.

These are the same pickups as above? Wow - look great. I'll have to give Autosol a try.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,050 Posts
If you have a Dremel tool you can do some fine detailing with the proper buffing pads...apply some compound to the pad and work it in, start at low rpm and work up...shining like a xxxx's navel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These are the same pickups as above? Wow - look great. I'll have to give Autosol a try.
Yup, same pickups. I tried the different products in a half/half way. They all worked well but the Autosol seemed to cut through the most corrosion with the least elbow grease. Very efficient.
I wanted to determine the best product because I will not be removing the other sets of pickups from the guitars, so I want to use the most efficient polish.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...And it's Autosol for the win! I got the Flitz and tried it. Although Flitz did a good job on the bridge pickup, the Autosol did better in less applications and seemed to remove more gunk easily. I even went back to the bridge pickup after with Autosol and saw a slight improvement (which could not show up in pictures). I think these are the best results you can get without major replacements or re-plating.

Edit: I would also note that Blue Magic and Flitz are suspiciously close to one another. Autosol seems to have a slightly different composition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts