The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured I’d ask the gurus here their opinions.

I’m basically trying to piece together a setup that would allow me to play bass and guitar through the same rig; Not shooting for studio quality here as I’ve already got better options for that.

Anyway, that brings me to the zoom multistomp pedals, specifically the ms50g and the ms60b. I’ve got the funds and room for only one on my board, but I can’t decide which deserves the spot.

Primarily, the Zoom will be used as a tuner because I need to save some space on my board. But the plan is to also use the other open slots for an equalizer, noise gate, possibly an amp sim, and then a few other effects like tremolo that I rarely use but would like access to.

The main issue is that I don’t know which would suit my needs better; I have all of my bases covered in terms of dirt, I’ve got a dedicated wah, phaser, compressor, chorus, octaver, and a few others already picked for the board.

I’m thinking about the ms50g because it’s voiced better for guitar (I don’t use as many effects on bass), and I’m assuming that since it’s a digital pedal that the eq section is pretty tweakable and I should be able to bring back any low end that my pedals suck from my signal.

But then the ms60b kind of jumps back into my mind because it’s also infinitely tweakable, but already configured for bass so that I won’t have a low end drop to deal with; it’s easier for me to just cut some bass from my guitar signal than it is to try and put back the right frequencies in my bass signal.

The one other issue to me, and this may be a non issue, is the tuner. Does the tuner on the ms50g track as low as it’s bass brethren? I play a 5 string with a low B and the only pedal I’ve found that consistently tracks a Low B in a noisy environment is the Korg Pitchblack.

I know this is a huge block of text, but I’m hoping that someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction. Probably going to order the pedal this week so I can finish up this board.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
This isn't going to answer your question but I have the MS100 & since it's discontinued, all of the add in patches from the iOS Zoom store were free. I loaded it chock full of effects that I may rarely ever need (but are fun to have). I use it only for guitar though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Lord-Humongous how do you find the quality of the effects? Good? Good for the price? I’m essential going for this option for space savings, and I don’t need the absolute top of the line sound quality. If it will get by in a gigging situation, it’s good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I've gigged with it (and will do so again). The dirt patches are disgusting so I use analog pedals for distortion/od. I've used an envelope filter (which I think is called M-Filter) and a few of the different chorus, delay, and even the spring reverb - all for different cover songs that needed a particular effect that wouldn't otherwise be something that I'd keep a pedal for. I was using the acoustic simulator too at one point but caught a little too much ribbing about that one, I honestly though the acoustic patch sounded fine though.

It's a great pedal though for the modulation effects and it also has a noise gate and compressor (forgot about those, which I've also used).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a bit more googling, I think the ms50g has taken the lead by a hair.

The ms60b apparently sounds better on bass, which makes sense, since it’s geared towards bass. But the ms50g has a lot of the same effects, plus a lot more, as well as being just as tweakable as the ms60b.

So, I’ll probably order the ms50g in the next few days, unless someone has a good reason for me to pick the ms60b instead.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Between the bass and guitar versions I couldn't say which I'd recommend. But I will say that the noise gate on the zoom is superb so I wouldn't buy a separate one. I haven't fiddled too much with its eqs but I would imagine they'd do the job too. I agree that for dirt you're better off with analog.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Between the bass and guitar versions I couldn't say which I'd recommend. But I will say that the noise gate on the zoom is superb so I wouldn't buy a separate one. I haven't fiddled too much with its eqs but I would imagine they'd do the job too. I agree that for dirt you're better off with analog.
Just seeing this post now; I actually went ahead and ordered the ms50g and although I haven’t had a lot of free time to fiddle with it and nail down my settings, I’m pretty impressed with what a pedal of this form factor can do.

Thinking about picking up another for a mini board with just the ms50g, my trusty mxr distortion + and a mini wah.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts