The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to an ANTIQUE/JUNK STORE and for $54 Dollars bought a Torino Acoustic guitar. 3/4 size. It looked like crap. I cleaned it and and did a setup on it. I spent two days working on this piece of junk.

But now I love it! I plays so well that I just can't put it down.
SOOO my question is is this a parlor guitar?

I have high end guitars but this little piece of junk gets more attention than the Fenders and Gibsons and all the others.
So please help!
What is a parlor guitar?

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
It was just a smaller guitar that was popular back in the dizzle.

What's a dizzle?

It's my rapper way of saying 'day'.

Am I a rapper?

I was a rapper.

I used to tour montreal, ottawa, and quebec under the alias "Comment t'appelle dude". You heard?

Now I just sorta hang out with my wife and boy thinking about marketing my killer gangsta nursery rhymes - which are not only off the hook, but also the chain.

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
That's easy. A parlor guitar is a guitar you play in the parlor. The parlor is the old name for living room. So if you are in the living room and are playing a guitar there, it is a parlor guitar. Once it leaves the living room, it becomes something else.

Reactions: amagras

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
@amagras

It's pronounced "parlour" in Cancun, but "parlor" in the rest of the world. I think it has something to do with the Hepatitis C you get from an ice cube, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
I've seen both parlor and parlour
Parlor is made in the USA. Parlour is made in Canada and has a bit more depth, resonance and power due to the longer name.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Pics?

A parlour guitar is a small bodied guitar - the smallest size that is widely available. Typically with 12 frets to the body and a standard width neck. (Typically a 3/4 size guitar will have a narrower neck.) Lots of great playing parlour guitars out there - and they travel well too!

·
Premium Member
13,429 Posts
This my $75 Arts & Lutherie Ami parlour guitar. The guy's kid decided to pull an Ed Sheeran on it. Got it with Hercules stand which costs almost that much. Neck joint is at the 12th fret which common for parlours.

This is my first acoustic, a Fender CP100 parlour. Got this first virtually unused. cheap. It's neck joint is at the 14th fret. May not have the greatest sound but it is a great player.

·
Premium Member
27,770 Posts
Parlour guitars were intended for, or assumed, being played in smaller more intimate settings - such as one's parlour. If you live or lived in one of those older more traditional 3-storey brownstones you find in Canada's largest cities, that were long and narrow (because price varied with frontage), with a very slender front room (often divided by a curtain in the archway), there might be a piano in the front "parlour", and perhaps a guitar.

Parlour guitars are contrasted with "concert" models, that were designed around the idea of being on a stage, and being able to project out to the back rows, rather than to the few people sitting on the sofa across from you.

I love parlour guitars. They have an intimacy about them in their tone that feels like someone snuggled up beside you and whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I reread the post I started I think it is hilarious the comments gave me a chuckle. Thanks to all that participated!
Also some really good serious comments!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,855 Posts
Not sure if my CBS Masterworks is a parlor guitar but yes, smaller size ment to be played in small venue,home etc...
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument String instrument Acoustic guitar

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If I recall correctly, parlor guitars were the largest sized guitar or typical size of guitar prior to the twentieth century.

Being 12 frets clear of yhe body as well causes the bridge to be closer to the middle of the lower bout tather than towards the sound hole which causes a more equally balanced tone across all strings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts