The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I have loved about this board over the years has been its civility, focus, and generally friendly 'vibe.' This seems to be changing and the board is becoming a lot like others. Political crap appears in threads for no reason, forms of racism and sexism (veiled and not so veiled comments) are becoming more prevalent, and a mean/angry/aggressive spirit seems to be setting in. It makes the board a lot less fun, even though there are some great people here.

I'll probably get flamed for this, or have a snarky joke about "there's the door", but it is sad to see this place changing for the worse.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone,
TG

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Jordan, I don't really think it's changed much. There are a couple (only) of pretty vocal members who've become more active, and can't seem to get a handle on or take the time to read the rules, and seem to enjoy trolling. A few can't help but feed them, so it escalates a bit. I will however say that the very fact that is happening, seems to illustrate that the moderation here isn't quite what it was, that would be my main observation.

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
It does get to me sometimes as well but there are various variables (ex. age) to consider and i live with the general concept that most people want to do good. Take the good with the bad. In paraphrasing Jodi Foster from the movie Contact:

"I've always believed that the "forums" (world) is what we make of it."

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
To me it seems OK here; particularly as there is very little moderation which I see as a good thing.

I wouldn't want it to get as sterile as the AGF which to me seems overly moderated and a place where the members occasionally get on with a lot of hand wringing and apologizing over nothing along with the idiotic and unsolicited confessional posts about things that are no more serious than having concerns about whether or not James Taylor's tutorial about guitar tuning is more interesting than his music.

·
Registered
24,728 Posts
The trick is to populate the forum with as much neighbourliness as possible.

The DIYstompbox forum regularly gets incredulous posts from new members about just how friendly, helpful, and positive it is, compared to everything else out there, and how happy they were to find it. And the secret there seems to be that its focus is on achieving goals (i.e., making/modding/deciphering effects), which brings out the helpfulness in people. And helpfulness tends to crowd out any meanness, even in those long-time members who have answered those same questions so many times in past that you would think their reflex would be to say "Use the f-ing SEARCH function, you moron!".

In contrast - and I don't mean it as any sort of criticism - a forum like this is simply a hub for those interested in guitars, or who like to be around folks who like guitars. People do, but no one has to necessarily seek or provide help. That's perfectly okay. It's just that if one is going to be taken seriously when providing help, or eliciting offers of help, one can't really sow the field with irritating posts.

Again, that other forum benefits from having a point of view that is more hospitable to, and encouraging of, encouragement. It has the luxury of starting out a few steps ahead. That's not to say such an orientation could NOT be maintained here as well, just that folks need a running start to get there. I might point out that the stompbox forum does NOT have any sort of political sub-forum, and that the OT sub-fora make a point of staying away from that sort of stuff. Like they say: good fences makes good neighbours. Sometimes you need to set boundaries to get along better with people.

In the meantime, traynor, do your part by just being fair, helpful, and civil. Which, as near as I can tell, you do. So, thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
To me it seems OK here; particularly as there is very little moderation which I see as a good thing.

I wouldn't want it to get as sterile as the AGF which to me seems overly moderated and a place where the members occasionally get on with a lot of hand wringing and apologizing over nothing along with the idiotic and unsolicited confessional posts about things that are no more serious than having concerns about whether or not James Taylor's tutorial about guitar tuning is more interesting than his music.
That's interesting - I only posted a few times and had a bizarre post from a member that is now a moderator. Not for me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
One of the reasons I registered (very) recently is because my lurking indicated that the forum was pretty friendly, and my experience has for the most part confirmed that impression. However, I steer clear of the political or hot button threads. There's no such thing as a civil political, ideological, or religious public topic

·
Premium Member
17,623 Posts
Jordan, I don't really think it's changed much. There are a couple (only) of pretty vocal members who've become more active, and can't seem to get a handle on or take the time to read the rules, and seem to enjoy trolling. A few can't help but feed them, so it escalates a bit. I will however say that the very fact that is happening, seems to illustrate that the moderation here isn't quite what it was, that would be my main observation.
I think @keto makes some excellent points here.

·
Registered
24,728 Posts
One of the reasons I registered (very) recently is because my lurking indicated that the forum was pretty friendly, and my experience has for the most part confirmed that impression. However, I steer clear of the political or hot button threads. There's no such thing as a civil political, ideological, or religious public topic
Well, technically, there IS. Scholars have been engaging in it for generations. The trouble with on-line forums is that nobody can hear your tone of voice, facial expressions, hesitancy, or hand gestures. And emojis don't go the distance to fill in those gaps in what linguists call "paralinguisitic cues". Conext is largely absent. Plus, given how many folks post from their phone, rather than a thoughtful typed-out post, there is a tendency for on-line forums to be replete with short "zingers" that, in turn, have a tendency to be sarcastic and caustic, and also devoid of much context. We post as if we're having a conversation over a beer or coffee, but the folks who read our posts have none of the background info that would make what we say seem every bit as friendly or plausible as if we actually were sitting down at a counter or on someone's back deck, and they could hear our voice, hear when we're hesitant or hedging, see our facial expression and gestures.

So, we, and pretty much the majority of on-line forums, are generally swimming against a fairly strong current, that tends not to encourage our better nature. I can't speak for others, but I just resolve to assume that the vast majority of people have good intentions, have friends and confidants, and people who love them, and that whatever I've read from them here or anywhere else on a forum is likely a misrepresentation of what a nice person they really are. That gets me through the nonsense. I recommend it.

·
Premium Member
17,199 Posts
I think a few regulars may just be on edge lately. Im in that category. Not everyone discloses their personal life on here, so I wouldnt be surprised if people are lashing out here because they wont do so offline.

Also, that's another thing; if the forum is annoying you, get off the device and do something else. No harm in a PM asking whats up if a regular seems to be pissy on a regular basis and they werent before.

That's my take on it. People have seemed more irritable in general lately.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I attended a lecture a few years ago about this. Can't remember the guy's name. He postulated that most of us have our real personality and our digital personality. Our real personalities have evolved over centuries and are mostly based on the culture we grew up in. We have only had digital personalities for around thirty years. The digital culture has not evolved yet. Our digital personalities are operating like a two year old. We are still learning how to interact with others. It's an interesting theory. Personally I think we are more at the teenager stage.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
sometimes people disagree. sometimes they don't. that's humanity. afaik we are all human here. we wont get along every single time. the minute we all have to feel guilty about not agreeing with someone else, there is no longer any point to have a discussion at all.

that said, i haven't seen anything sexist posted on this board in ages. if you mean the red pill thread, it's not sexist.

·
Premium Member
17,623 Posts
I think a few regulars may just be on edge lately. Im in that category. Not everyone discloses their personal life on here, so I wouldn't be surprised if people are lashing out here because they wont do so offline.

Also, that's another thing; if the forum is annoying you, get off the device and do something else. No harm in a PM asking whats up if a regular seems to be pissy on a regular basis and they werent before.

That's my take on it. People have seemed more irritable in general lately.
Excellent observations, comments and suggestions. You always appear to me to be someone who is well "grounded".

I totally agree, somehow the level of irritability around here seems increased recently.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, technically, there IS. Scholars have been engaging in it for generations. The trouble with on-line forums is that nobody can hear your tone of voice, facial expressions, hesitancy, or hand gestures. And emojis don't go the distance to fill in those gaps in what linguists call "paralinguisitic cues". Conext is largely absent. Plus, given how many folks post from their phone, rather than a thoughtful typed-out post, there is a tendency for on-line forums to be replete with short "zingers" that, in turn, have a tendency to be sarcastic and caustic, and also devoid of much context. We post as if we're having a conversation over a beer or coffee, but the folks who read our posts have none of the background info that would make what we say seem every bit as friendly or plausible as if we actually were sitting down at a counter or on someone's back deck, and they could hear our voice, hear when we're hesitant or hedging, see our facial expression and gestures.

So, we, and pretty much the majority of on-line forums, are generally swimming against a fairly strong current, that tends not to encourage our better nature. I can't speak for others, but I just resolve to assume that the vast majority of people have good intentions, have friends and confidants, and people who love them, and that whatever I've read from them here or anywhere else on a forum is likely a misrepresentation of what a nice person they really are. That gets me through the nonsense. I recommend it.
I agree, and respect your view of things because it's a viewpoint that's sorely missing in society as a whole, nevermind the forums. But I've never encountered a forum thatvdidn't have some friction as soon as values entered into the dialogue. Jeez, I've witnessed some nasty exchanges between folks discussing pickups magnets (not here).

1 - 20 of 146 Posts