The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into buying a good electric guitar. I will play greenday, marooon 5, red hot chilli peppes, led zepplin, .... those type of songs. so mostly rock. im not interested in country, blues or jazz...
guitar should be under 900 cdn. dollars..

preferable either a ibanez, gibson, epiphone or fender... (or is there another manufacturer that makes quality guitars like that for rock??)

so what guitar do yo think I should get??

any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
17,007 Posts
why's it gotta be so pricey?

get a used elitist epiphone SG IF you can find one.

aside from that, go play everything you can with at least 1 humbucker and maybe a single coil (you did mention RHCP).

off the top of my head:
epi LP standard/custom
schecter C-1 classic
C-1 elite
Fender Fat Strat (used MIA?)
used gibson LP studio

go play everything you can in your price range AND LOOK AT CARVIN

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
so out of gibson, ibanez, fender, and epiphone... epihone would be best???

i heard ibanez make great guitars especially for rock music...?

gibson guitars are i think too expensive, so im thinking..

1. epiphone

2. ibanez

3. fender

are those three all good for the type of music im planning to play??? what are the diffrences between those three manufacturers??
thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
652 Posts
BC Rich Mockingbird is cool.
Gretsch Pro Jet hardtail is nice.
Jackson DKMG is a blast.
Ibanez S series is decent.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Washburn makes great stuff, much of which easily comes in under nine bills. For that money I'd also look at Reverends and high-end Epiphones... I just got a Yamaha Pacifica from Craigslist and it's a well-built guitar for the money. But really, you have to check out a lot of stuff with your own hands... do you want a set neck or a bolt-on? A classic thick humbucker or a long-scale with single coils and a whammy bar? Or do you want to go with a sleek fast neck and a floating trem? If so look at Ibanez, but be aware that string changing is going to be a different story on a guitar with a Floyd Rose or Edge tremelo.

Good luck with the hunt. In any case, provided you take your time and choose carefully, your money will take you quite far - more than enough to get you going.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
what guitars do red hot chili peppers, guns and roses, and led zeppelin use???

i think fender gitars are used more for country is that true??

so what do you guys think is better Ibanez, Epiphone, or Gibson?

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
what guitars do red hot chili peppers, guns and roses, and led zeppelin use???

i think fender gitars are used more for country is that true??

so what do you guys think is better, Ibanez or Epiphone....

RHCP - Fender Stratocaster.
G&R - Les Paul
Zep - Les Paul (and Telecaster)

Ibanez and Epiphone, some overlap but mostly very different:
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html
http://www.epiphone.com/

Go into a guitar store and plays dozens of them and do what Violation says - find the one that feels and sounds best to you. You might end with Schecter or some other you never even thought of.

Jimmy Hendrix played a fender strat. So did Stevie Ray Vaughan. So does Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck - not exactly country :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
(or is there another manufacturer that makes quality guitars like that for rock??)
Just about anything available on my site will give you the quality and style you want without the high price...:smilie_flagge17:

You should get out there and try some out if your not quite sure what your looking for but get your head out of the brand name vanity rut. A guitar doesn't have to have a certain name on the headstock to be a good guitar.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks...

but rhcp and led zepplin, what type of Les Paul??? Gibson right???

What exacly are the diffrences between the Fender Stratcoster and and the Gibson Les Paul ??

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Too many to list here. Different scale lengths, different pickup and switching conventions, set neck vs. bolt-on, usually different woods and necks... you really need to get a feel for these many differences, because of course they also contribute to a host of very different sounds. You're not going to learn this overnight... hell, I've been playing and tinkering for decades now and I am always learning more about the vastly different characters guitars can have.

You basically have to jump in and learn through trial and error. Don't worry, it's fun! You'll learn tons along the way.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Again, try out different guitars. Go for what feels or sounds best.

And just for your reference ( or something you can aspire to ) :

The Slash Signature Gibson Les Paul ($4400 US):

The Jeff Beck Signature Fender Stratocaster ($2200 US):

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
hey marlon.

there's one big problem with the internet, as far as guitar is concerned. long gone are the days where you had to physically go downtown to your local music store, and ask advice from the supremely uninterested sales clerk there, who would invariably tell you to buy the guitar he would buy (double neck kramer 6/12 with floyd rose bridges). it's a sad day. [/sarcasm]

look, here's the deal. you don't need to spend nearly that much (but if you've got it, and you want to, there's no reason you shouldn't). but the important thing isn't "what's the best guitar", the answer is all of them. for any style. you can play country on a les paul (keith urban does), or a stratocaster (vince gill does), or a telecaster (brad paisley does). you can play blues on a flying v (albert king did), or metal on a flying v (dave mustaine did). you can play alt/goth metal on a tele (john 5) or jazz on a telecaster (mike stern). you can play rock on a es-175 (george thorogood), or a telecaster (jimmy page, jeff buckley), or a stratocaster (stevie ray vaughan, eric clapton, david gilmour), or a les paul (slash, or anyone from "theory of a nicklefault"), or a flying v, or a danelectro, or a hockey stick with copper wire.

what you need isn't the right guitar for rock, or the best guitar for rock. you need the right guitar for you, the best guitar for you. you'll only find that by going to all sorts of guitar stores and playing as many as you can. you'll find that there's one that you keep going back to. that's the one you should buy, and who cares what it looks like, or what it says on the headstock? just buy it, and play rock on it :D

sorry i know that that doesn't help, lol. but you're getting excellent advice here on brands and models, and truth be told, these days, all the guitars are well made and aggressively priced. you literally can't go wrong (but i'd avoid a floyd rose if you're new to guitar, not because it's bad, but because it's complicated). but don't buy one because someone said it was the best for rock. buy one because it's the one that makes you play best.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.

Tomorrow im going to the guitar store and wll be playing some guitars.

These are the ones that seem to be popular and that I like.

1. Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe.

2. Ibanez RG Tremolo

3. Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Anyone have any of these?? How are they??

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
i have owned all of those and more over the years. they're all first rate quality, you can't go wrong. as i said in that other thread, and above, i'd avoid a floyd rose style whammy bar (the ibanez rg trem) unless you're really sure you want one (ibanez's ax guitars are great). they require a more in-depth knowledge of the guitar than most beginning players have. i'm not saying don't buy it, i'm saying be prepared to learn how to work with it, it's not easy at first. enjoy yourself, looking at guitars is almost half the reason we all play ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts