The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
When doing a Google Image search (right click), i get this

Zappa also owned a Les Paul Custom guitar that had a Dan Armstrong Green Ringer installed in the body cavity. An extra knob was added to this guitar which was actually a nine position rotary switch. This allowed for split coil and out-of-phase sounds, as well as series and parallel options.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Found this,it was up for auction a few years ago...it apparently started life as a 52/53 Goldtop...then it got FRANKensteined.

70: Frank Zappa's Les Paul Goldtop Guitar : Lot 0070

Frank Zappa's customised 1952/53 Les Paul Goldtop Guitar, extensively used during the early to mid 1960s in both studio and stage, this gold top was Zappa's main guitar before his famous SG. The guitar is a 1952/53 Gibson Les Paul with a single cutaway mahogany body. It has a maple top and neck and rosewood fingerboard with crown inlays. It has one P.90 single coil pickup, one single coil pickup one humbucking pickup and six rotary controls a toggle switch, a pick up selector switch, a Bigsby tremelo tailpiece. A Mahogany body with maple top. In it's original case. The Mothers of Invention first single 'Freakin Out features this guitar played by Zappa. The guitar was sold by a guitar dealer known to all of the famous bands at that time in the Bay area in San Francisco in late 1969 or possibly early 1970 for approx $300.00. The current owner was friends with Mike Pendegrass & Howie from Big Brother & The Holding Company and the Grateful Dead and allowed him to jam with them occasionally. He recalls "It must have been painful for them. But I had some great times." He has owned the guitar ever since, but when he took up sailing and became a yacht captain, the guitar ended up in an attic gathering dust with some friends for the last thirty years, and then with an auction house over the last few years.

·
Administrator
17,159 Posts
Well done guys, that was a tough one!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The torture never stops guys.

If someone makes a filter mod that fits on board like his, I'll be your first buyer. Using my modded and noisy cry baby is getting old.

Also, HMV sale on right now, go grab those zappa albums for pretty cheap. The production sounds like nothing else. Im pretty young at 32 and only heard him on youtube and mp3 until recently. Night and day.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
The torture never stops guys.

If someone makes a filter mod that fits on board like his, I'll be your first buyer. Using my modded and noisy cry baby is getting old.
have you checked out the Son of Kong pedal? Based on a filter circuit that he used in the 70s/80s

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Googling it right now. Regardless, its much better on a guitar. Frank used to tune it to the room to get the great feedback and harmonic resonance.

I used a Line6 FM4 for years to get that kind of tone. To be honest, it was a better 'boost' that anything I've used, but its huge, needs a separate power supply etc. Having you're own presets rule though. Fuck I have to go buy another one.,............

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
FRANKensteined it. Love it. Just like his SG.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Googling it right now. Regardless, its much better on a guitar. Frank used to tune it to the room to get the great feedback and harmonic resonance.

I used a Line6 FM4 for years to get that kind of tone. To be honest, it was a better 'boost' that anything I've used, but its huge, needs a separate power supply etc. Having you're own presets rule though. Fuck I have to go buy another one.,............
Have you considered the M5? It has all of those mod patches - plus delay and verb and distortion, etc. Everything but amp models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts