The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Seconds is my guess. Still a rip off. Add $500+ worth of guts to find its full of geometry issues???

I wouldn't risk $500 on one

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Stratosphere buys guitars, strips them down and sells them by the part. They have been doing that for years. Their shipping is too expensive, unless you spend something like $300 USD and ship to the USA.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
Seconds is my guess. Still a rip off. Add $500+ worth of guts to find its full of geometry issues???

I wouldn't risk $500 on one
295K feedback with a 99.7% positive rating ... sounds legit to me ...
i don't think they would have such a good rating if they were selling damaged goods.

i haven't done the math to see how it works out, but the idea itself is interesting to me. having a body you really like, you could fit it out any way you'd like.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i don't think they would have such a good rating if they were selling damaged goods.

i haven't done the math to see how it works out, but the idea itself is interesting to me. having a body you really like, you could fit it out any way you'd like.
I looked at a few and they had flaws clearly documented. Kudos to them for that, but the skeptic in me says they were seconds, and possibly had playability issues which is why they were parted out. $2k for a base is a real gamble (to me), especially when I can pay the same or close for a mint player that I can play first AND without the scrounging, risk and work.

It's a fools game IMO.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I get the part it out thing. I've parted out my share of cars and trucks. What I don't get is paying $2k for a gutted standard. So you have pickups, bride, tailpiece and tuners. Pots are cheap, new. No case. You are littererally on par with buying new, plus the work which pays you pennies on return.

I've made and lost and broke even on projects and I see buying one of these as a loss or no special deal, even if you have guts.

YMMV of course. I don't see it is all. It's akin to buying a parted out project and doing all in reverse for next to no savings, if any at all

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I remember buying from Stratosphere years ago from EBay, when I believe that they were still a very small outfit. I talked on the phone with them, the service and shipping to my US address was good. They had the special, one of, oddball items that could not easily be found. Somewhere along the way they became a successful business and took on other brands of guitars, other import items as their own lines at good prices. However, the shipping went through UPS exclusively and a higher cost.

I don’t need the $300 USD worth of small items to make an order, and I don’t need the UPS experience to Canada.

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
I get the part it out thing. I've parted out my share of cars and trucks. What I don't get is paying $2k for a gutted standard. So you have pickups, bride, tailpiece and tuners. Pots are cheap, new. No case. You are littererally on par with buying new, plus the work which pays you pennies on return.

I've made and lost and broke even on projects and I see buying one of these as a loss or no special deal, even if you have guts.

YMMV of course. I don't see it is all. It's akin to buying a parted out project and doing all in reverse for next to no savings, if any at all
You get to outfit your guitar exactly how you want. You get to pick the wiring, pickups, bridge and tailpiece, tuners and plastics. Rather than buying a new one and stripping it down, buying one that's already stripped and doing it yourself is quite appealing to some people. I’d say the StratoSphere has a market as it seems like they sell a lot and have been around for a while.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I remember buying from Stratosphere years ago from EBay, when I believe that they were still a very small outfit. I talked on the phone with them, the service and shipping to my US address was good. They had the special, one of, oddball items that could not easily be found. Somewhere along the way they became a successful business and took on other brands of guitars, other import items as their own lines at good prices. However, the shipping went through UPS exclusively and a higher cost.

I don’t need the $300 USD worth of small items to make an order, and I don’t need the UPS experience to Canada.
UPS stands for ultimate postage scam

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
In regards to Stratosphere, some of the stuff is obviously seconds and some of the stuff is damaged goods during shipping. But they are up front about any damage, paint chips dings etc. I've bought from them a few times and my only complaint is the high shipping prices.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
They are a long time legit eBay seller. They seem to part out a mix of new and used guitars - from where they get them I don't know.
Right now they might have lots of Gibson parts, in a few months they might have none. I guess if I had a nice Les Paul that I bust the headstock off, it might be an option to buy one of those bodies, if I was in the US. But I find the prices to build a complete guitar from the parts seem to add up to more than a complete guitar bought used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts