The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a guy selling an SG in my area and I'm hoping to grab it. He says it's a 1990 '61 re-issue, but it's toggle switch and input jack are in a different location than normal.

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/information-on-vintage-gibson-sg-guitars.htm

If you scroll down there and check out the blue SG, he says it's that exact same model but in the natural brown colour. The website labels it as an SG Standard, but the pickguard is smaller...So is that a Standard or '61 re-issue?

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Thats not unusual Gibson has done that from time to time. I own a 1987 SG Standard and it's basically a 61 re-issue with a couple of changes... the toggle and input are as pictured above.
Great GTR's IMHO and I prefer this electronics setup... the toggle never gets in the way and the input location looks better especially when the guitar is plugged in... the cable is away from the GTR's top. How much is the seller asking for it?

Khing

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! He's asking $925 but I'll try to lower it. I agree I prefer this setup better. Like the smaller pickguards more as well.

So you say it's basically a re-issue with 490R/498T pickups? Is there any difference in SG's from this era to brand new ones? Better/same/worse craftsmanship?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
So you say it's basically a re-issue with 490R/498T pickups? Is there any difference in SG's from this era to brand new ones? Better/same/worse craftsmanship?
I'd ask anyways about the pups but likely you are right... as for build quality.. my 87 is solid with excellent detail but I'd have a good look at the frets, inlays, and binding as I've seen some nasty issues from those aspects in Gibbo's from the early 90's. It is likley that it's a solid guitar tho. Doent hurt to take a close look at the neck to headstock transition area and the neck joint for possible damage, repairs, and other issues.
Hey if you go in with your eyes open you cant loose... right.

Khing

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Its an early 1980's model SG. Only in the 80's...possibley late 70's the SG had the input jack on the side of the body and the pickup switch in that location. If you look close, there is a small chip out of it and you can see brown under it. bassicly all those model SG in the early 80's where painted brown. I honestly cant tell you what model it is...but I would have to guess maybe an SG Special? or maybe a Standard...but those are usually red or black

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts