The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas.

I wrote this tune and recorded a short video (anyone know the city?)

But I don't know what genre to define my own song. I'd like to check out other artists with a similar sound. If ya know any, throw their names my way.

Here is the piece.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Sounds cool. Would probably fall in the rock/pop genre.

Couple of things that stood out to me:
String noise in the into. So loud I thought maybe they were seagull sounds you had intentionally mixed in to go with the video.
Bass drum. Too thunky. More boom less thwack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds cool. Would probably fall in the rock/pop genre.

Couple of things that stood out to me:
String noise in the into. So loud I thought maybe they were seagull sounds you had intentionally mixed in to go with the video.
Bass drum. Too thunky. More boom less thwack.
Thanks for the feedback. How would I go about removing the string noise? I think I could fix the bass drum by watching a tutorial vid or 2. I use Logic Pro

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’d call it alternative, personally.

I’d also keep the string noise in the intro; it’s got a similar vibe to the band “Brand New”. If you’re not familiar with Brand New (you probably are) I’d recommend giving them a listen as I think you could take a lot of inspiration from them and IMO they’ve never put out a bad album. Their latest album “science fiction” is very strong for a group that was on a break for 9 years. If you want melodic picking and weird chord structures, you’ll find lots of it with this band.

Other than that, I really enjoyed your playing and think you’re headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Hey fellas.

I wrote this tune and recorded a short video (anyone know the city?)

But I don't know what genre to define my own song. I'd like to check out other artists with a similar sound. If ya know any, throw their names my way.

Here is the piece.

Cheers.
Nice 6/8 feel there. Very airy. Don't worry about what genre you sound like. A number of genres use that type of device in their tunes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’d call it alternative, personally.

I’d also keep the string noise in the intro; it’s got a similar vibe to the band “Brand New”. If you’re not familiar with Brand New (you probably are) I’d recommend giving them a listen as I think you could take a lot of inspiration from them and IMO they’ve never put out a bad album. Their latest album “science fiction” is very strong for a group that was on a break for 9 years. If you want melodic picking and weird chord structures, you’ll find lots of it with this band.

Other than that, I really enjoyed your playing and think you’re headed in the right direction.
I love weird chord structures. I'll check them out. I am actually not familiar with them. Yeah I guess the string noise just comes down to preference. You can't please everyone I suppose

1 - 16 of 16 Posts