The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will all the furor lately over the Tazer incidents in BC and Quebec, I just can't help but to think that people would like to see police unarmed? I just wonder how else they are supposed to deal with an erratic/voilent individual in a public place. My heart goes out to the families of those affected, but what else is expected of Law enforcement when confronted with someone "sweating profusely, yelling, throwing computers and chairs around"?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071121.TASERSIDE21/TPStory/National

C

·
0 Posts
I am not qualified to judge what happened to that dude who died... I'll wait until the official inquest reveals it's findings.

But I'm loath to tie the hands of law enforcement officers any more than they already are. It's their job to corral dangerous people, and the fact is, some times people are going to get hurt... and sometimes, just sometimes, people are going to get dead.

L

·
0 Posts
I just wonder how else they are supposed to deal with an erratic/violent individual in a public place.
Call in Judge Dredd.

Not to poke fun on the issue, but I'm with ClintonHammond on
this one. Wait for the inquest.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i agree with clint, as well. the police need every advantage possible.

that said, its beginning to look like there has been a lot of misuse and overuse of the tazer.

that's not to say its not a good idea.

however, if the trend to misuse and abuse continues, it will have to be banned.

i hope that's not the case.

-dh

·
Premium Member
325 Posts

-dh
And if that does happen watch everyone get really upset when a PC is forced to shoot someone dead because they don't have any non-lethal alternatives.

The same "controversy" happens every time an asthmatic with a heart condition gets peppersprayed and drops dead...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
...i agree with clint, as well. the police need every advantage possible.

that said, its beginning to look like there has been a lot of misuse and overuse of the tazer.

that's not to say its not a good idea.

-dh
Perhaps we the public have too high an expectation of the device. Since most folks aren't really that technical in background they've accepted tazers as totally non-lethal, like a Star Trek phaser set on "Stun".

The hard reality is that what will stun on individual might kill some others. Maybe the media is also to blame. They seemed to have branded tazers as non-lethal from the start. I've never heard many reporters that knew any more about electricity than how to change batteries in a flashlight.

I agree though that it would be too bad if these unrealistic expectations result in a tazer ban. That would mean that cops would have only the choice of a bullet or letting them walk away.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
737 Posts
But what did they use before Tazers? Nightsticks possibly? It *seems* in the video that the cops were gung-ho to taze, there were 4 cops. The disturbing part was after the initial taze they did it again while he was squirming in agony.

C

·
0 Posts
"like a Star Trek phaser set on "Stun"
According to the 'technical specs' multiple hits from a phaser set on 'stun' are capable of killing...

,-)

There is no such thing as a completely non-lethal 'weapon'...

"It *seems* in the video"
Video is WAY too interpretive, especially to the untrained eye.... I'll go so far as to suggest that it's very likely nobody on this forum has half a clue what they're seeing in that video.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ClintonHammond;76420"It *seems* in the video" Video is WAY too interpretive said:
Of course and that's the problem isn't it? The general public is able to pass judgement on a situation they know nothing about. I just have to wonder about 4 RCMP officers all using Bad Judgement (which is being implied). I'm sure there is more education needed for the public and for enforcement.

It has already been proven that using a Taser on a person under the influence of certain drugs (I'm not saying that was the case in this incident) can in fact prove to be lethal.

Like someone else said here. Yeah ban the Taser then they have to resort back to guns and I'm sure bullets are more lethal in more cases than the Taser.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The problem is the Tazer is being used too fast. There are other options.
The Tazer is not lethal to healthy people. How can the cops know if the person they are attacking is healthy?

Four RCMP officers could have physically taken down the unarmed guy at the Vancover Airport, without weapons.

Last week in the US, an 18 year old died from a Police Tazer because he was in a fight with another kid.
In the past the cops would never thought of using a gun to break up a fight, but they think a Tazer is OK.
There are other ways. It's just that it's too easy to use a Tazer.

Here's a video of a Utah cop tazering someone, over a traffic ticket:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fae_1195587967

Decent cops are fast loosing respect when their brethren behave this way.

<OMSB>

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with tazer use at all. If somebody is being violent, I believe that the police have every right to take down the person, in whichever manner causes little or no injury to the officers.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with tazer use at all. If somebody is being violent, I believe that the police have every right to take down the person, in whichever manner causes little or no injury to the officers.
...and if every situation was black and white, no one would argue with you.

however, the tazering at the vancouver airport raises way too many questions.

"in whichever manner" raises the spectre of authoratarian governments and dictatorships that are prepared to use "any means whatsoever" to control their citizens.

in a free, democratic and somewhat enlightened society, we can afford the luxury of considering all options available.

-dh

C

·
0 Posts
"The general public is able to pass judgement on a situation they know nothing about."
The General Public needs to be told to SHUT T.F. UP about things they know nothing about....

"proven that using a Taser..."
Proved where and by whom?? You're going to have to source that claim please....

"there is more education needed"
Education aught never stop...

"How can the cops know if the person they are attacking is healthy?"
I don't want them to have to stop to consider it, if the person is a danger to others.

One cannot make an omelets without breaking eggs....

" Somebody in that airport should have recognized Polish"
ShouldaCouldaWoulda.... blah blah blah....

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"
"proven that using a Taser..."
Proved where and by whom?? You're going to have to source that claim please....
I cannot quote the exact source, but I watched a documentary segment on a Discover channel science show with the RCMP. The officers were being educated on the use of the Taser and some of them were being used as dummies to themselves be tasered. It was very interesting and one of the things being discussed was that in cases of drug use resulting in elevated heart rates, taser can in fact be quite deadly.

And ya I know " I seen it on TV"!

C

·
0 Posts
"in cases of drug use resulting in elevated heart rates"
So, you're mostly talking about recreational, illegal drug use?

Quite frankly, if some skiteheel with more money than brains gets "hepped up on goofballs", throws a fit, gets 'tazed' by cops and dies as a result, I couldn't care less.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"in cases of drug use resulting in elevated heart rates"
So, you're mostly talking about recreational, illegal drug use?
Yes that was the context, Meth, Cocaine etc.. I'm sure they never see folks like that at the Airport!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts