The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am 52 years old, and have lived an excruciatingly boring life. Never even close to a one night stand or any remotely interesting story.
I feel so young at heart. My wife and I are basically separated, but live together for the kids and for the simple fact we can't afford two households. I literally don't have a friend in the world. I can go weeks without any adult company whatsoever. As Elvis said...."I feel so lonely I could die."
I have tried out with several bands in the last few years and nothing ever clicked. I wanna rock!
I wanna meet some girls! I wanna party!!!

Anyways, I am drunk and bored and posted this ad on Craigslist.....whaddya think???

Frustrated old drunken bass player...looking to kick ass!!!

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
I like your ad. It got my attention. Your honest and forthright.

Your other half is okay with this?

I am exactly your age and care not to have friends in my life. Sure I have acquaintances and my one best friend that has been there for me for 35 years and would do absolutely anything for me. Other then that I am a hermit. I prefer my own company.

There's a group called Band.ca. Try it you might like it. You can hook up with a lot of musicians of different genres and who knows what could happen. You could meet the woman of your dreams.

What about the internet dating scene? My oldest son has met the love of his life on one.

Best of luck!

You have friends here yannow, like me! ;)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your other half is okay with this?
Thanks Lola!! Much appreciated.....

My wife has turned onto a selfish evil person. she works 5 days a month. She is a hoarder, so our house in a disaster. I do all the cooking and work full time.
I can't date living with my "better" half.

My vacations, for the last 15-20yrs have been camping where I do all the set-up and cooking and cleaning.
Imagine my surprise when my "better" half informed me she is going to Cuba for a week in October.
I am really hoping to find a band where I can meet some true friends and make some great music.
My last gig was three years ago, I had more than a few beers, and I actually had two people ask if I give bass lessons after the show. ....
Sure I said....drink beer, unwind, and play the hell out of it!!

It amazing how many guys out there freak out if you have a beer or two before a gig. I mean, really.....I don't think I am exaggerating when I say 99.9999999% of all classic rock was not performed by sober musicians.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW...my wife is the queen of passive aggressive. If you have ever dealt with this, you will know how impossible it is. She is always right, and "doing her best to become a better person"

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Straight forward ad--so hopefully it helps
(& I could name all the bass players--except the fish at the end--is his name Jim?)

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
I have met so many different types of people in my life! 99% of them are assholes! They're people who use, abuse and could care less about me! I am away too old for this shit! I march to the beat of my own drummer!

This is your life! You only get one shot at it! None of my business but you need to think about yourself in this situation. How old are your kids?

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
It's really too bad that your in Quebec cuz you could come and play with us!

The guys in the band will have a beer or two especially during the dog days of summer. I don't drink. We are 420 friendly as well! Everything done in moderation.

I am in a suburb just east of Toronto.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Tips to get a date:

Don't use pick up lines. (check)
Be genuine and show your personality. (check)
Don't be shy. (check)
Always appear confident and relaxed. (check)
Be yourself. (check)

I'd say your ad checks most of the boxes to get a date. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the positive comments. Its actually sucks how Montreal is a big city, yet has a tiny music scene.

BTW...the last Bass is named Jack after Jack Bruce.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Thanks guys for the positive comments. Its actually sucks how Montreal is a big city, yet has a tiny music scene.

BTW...the last Bass is named Jack after Jack Bruce.
So three Jacks then in the line up.
(Unless I am forgetting one of them.)

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
So I am 52 years old, and have lived an excruciatingly boring life. Never even close to a one night stand or any remotely interesting story.
I feel so young at heart. My wife and I are basically separated, but live together for the kids and for the simple fact we can't afford two households. I literally don't have a friend in the world. I can go weeks without any adult company whatsoever. As Elvis said...."I feel so lonely I could die."
I have tried out with several bands in the last few years and nothing ever clicked. I wanna rock!
I wanna meet some girls! I wanna party!!!

Anyways, I am drunk and bored and posted this ad on Craigslist.....whaddya think???

Frustrated old drunken bass player...looking to kick ass!!!
I think you may get some interesting replies :) I find that bass players are often the life of the party...certainly the case in the 3 bands that I'm currently involved with.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
far be it for me to give relationship advice....but it sounds to me like a change is needed in the home situation. I'm not sure that environment is doing any favors for your kids, or yourself, or even your wife...based on what you describe, it sounds like you may be her enabler.

youre amongst friends here, so not judgement, but as for the ad, I would personally take out the drunk references....or any other negative connotations ie frustration etc. strangers aren't usually drawn to people that seem to have a lot of baggage.

I wish you well, and I, and I'm sure many others, understand the challenges you are going through.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your ad is awesome! I wish I could come across a local ad like that.

Is that your daughter in your daughter in your avatar? She's really cute! Coming home to my smiling daughter is always a treat.

Also, I can't name bass players #1 & #5.

(I suspect #1 is Jack Bruce )

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Sounds like you need to cut the cord and get on with life.. In my experience bands and bar sluts never resulted in lasting friendships but good times were had lol.

Montreal has a great music scene, lots of hot women of all ages, and great fishing!

Wish you the best in your search for a band, a babe and more bass. I came out to your place once to try a guitar, iirc you had a bike, maybe get some riding buddies must be some local bike clubs. Might even meet a female riding buddy! Next time im in the area I'll buy the beer and you just take me out to a good bass fishin spot. Im in n. ont right now and ill im catching is rock bass!

P

·
0 Posts
I bet your ad will attract some great jam buddy booze/drug enablers, but gigs may not happen. If it does it may not sound all that great. I would even say the guys you will get will be washed up alcoholic types... Unreliable, unstable, unpopular etc...

If you want to gig, and get into a good band, I say drop the booze references from the ad. Serious/dedicated players have had their fill of drunken band-mates and their antics. Find some quality stable players, and ease them into your boozing quietly. Don't make it the main push of your ad.

Or maybe that's what you want...

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I bet your ad will attract some great jam buddy booze/drug enablers, but gigs may not happen. If it does it may not sound all that great. I would even say the guys you will get will be washed up alcoholic types... Unreliable, unstable, unpopular etc...

If you want to gig, and get into a good band, I say drop the booze references from the ad. Serious/dedicated players have had their fill of drunken band-mates and their antics. Find some quality stable players, and ease them into your boozing quietly. Don't make it the main push of your ad.

Or maybe that's what you want...
I agree. Unless you're just looking for some drinking buddies who want to jam.

As an example, my bass player of many years is a binge alcoholic. When he's sober he's an amazing musician. When he has a couple of beers he's still darn good. Trouble is he can't stop once he starts and soon it's shots of Jack and many beers and all of a sudden he becomes the greatest entertainer ever born - in his own mind. To everyone else in the bar he's an obnoxious ass with a microphone. It's embarrassing and we've lost some good gigs because of it - no bar owner wants his biggest customer on the stage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts