The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly question...what the heck do you all sit on when you are practicing? A buddy of mine uses, and swears by a low round stool. I have tried every chair in my house, plus all the couches. It seems that I really need to focus on my posture or I start slumping over and wind up with a sore back.

What works for you guys to maintain decent posture and comfort? Please don't tell me that you sit on your arse.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I either use a round bar stool or stand to practice, depending on what I'm playing (flying v's make it a little tougher to sit and play).

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Most of the time I stand to practice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
dwagar said:
Most of the time I stand to practice.
Ditto

Sometimes I lean my butt against a countertop if I get tired, but I think standing is the best way, cuz it's how you perfom, mostly. But I sometimes sit on...a short round stool, go figure.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Almost always stand, can't reach nuts easily if I'm sitting using a looong-scale, sometimes though, I will sit on the amp, mmmmmmmmmm, but the bass is still strapped-on. :tongue:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Michelle said:
Almost always stand, can't reach nuts easily if I'm sitting using a looong-scale, sometimes though, I will sit on the amp, mmmmmmmmmm, but the bass is still strapped-on. :tongue:

............Perv............ :tongue:

:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made a point to take several stretch breaks during my practices session this evening. Seems to help a little, but I really have to pay attention to how I sit or my back muscles really tighten up. It could be an age thing.

I should probably start getting a massage once a month...it probably couldn't hurt to help work the knots out.

Michelle, you crack me up! You must have been sitting on your amp for the picture in your avatar.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
A stool works pretty well for me...

·
Registered
737 Posts
lolligagger said:
Michelle, you crack me up! You must have been sitting on your amp for the picture in your avatar.
Sometimes I just can't help saying what's on my mind, that gets me into trouble all the time at work. :)
No, the pic is from my 25th work anniv., the grin is over the wide-open bar!

Massage therapy is a good thing, a good therapist can find something that may be causing the pain and guitar playing aggrivates that, I use a padded, wide guitar strap, seems to help with neck pain. I also see a chiro and massage therapist, they really helped me with the effects of being thrown off motorcycles, car wrecks, sitting in front of a tube, and falling off the roof. Thing like this accumulate over the years until at some point you end up with a lot of pain.

Hi Searchin'!

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
I have 3 of these in the basement studio, one for each member of the band except for the drummer of course.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I often sit on the corner of my bed, jee, I didn't even know about the whole posture problem bit. Sometimes though, i sit on a kitchen chair that I pulled into my room, with my right leg up on the mattress. I am a lazy guitar player.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I'm just playing clean guitar, then I sit on the couch. I stand when I want to fiddle around with my pedals..well sometimes I go on my knees for that too..but I suppose "playing" guitar, it's 50/50 between standing and the couch.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a nice office chair to pad my ass:) Although lately I have been doing the practice ritual standing up.:rockon2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts