The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did'nt figure out how to turn this as an poll...

You can express yourself about what you feel the best.

1. What kind of chair do you use ?
2. What kind of strap do you use ?
etc...

For myself... I play most of the time sit. I have an "Corona" bar stood that I think is perfect positionning for my playing. Sometimes I play in the couch, but my little girl (2 years old) is too much attracted by daddy guitars and put her finger where she don't have to. She's a future rock star !!

Don't play up very often... But I like to play with LEVI'S strap, feel comfortable and rough enough... My semi-hollowbody is pretty heavy.

I use to try Ovation, I've hear a lot of comment about those back bowl that slip all the time or about belly player difficulty to play those. Did'nt have this feeling for my part.

C

·
0 Posts
I gotta stand.... gotta feel my own weight on the balls of my feet, a little like the first sensation of falling forward.

Besides... It's way easier to dance, if you're standing up.

Strap? I donno... whatever's on the guitar.... as long as it's not too long... I really like to feel the resonance against my guts...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Electric guitar, standing and a the strap as short as confortable.

Bass, sitting.... it's just too dang heavy :wink:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Acoustic - sitting

Electric - both sitting and standing. I always used to play sitting because I couldn't play standing until I forced myself to get used to it. Now I much prefer playing the electric standing. It's way easier to do one of the elliptical guitar flips while standing (a la Yngwie) I wear my straps short (but not Tom Morello short) and straps are whatever I have on the guitar at the time.

Ok so maybe I don't flip my guitar like that but since I play standing now, I'm considering buying one of those Steve Vai signature fans. Only problem is I have hairdo much like this little guy >>> :rockon:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
i always sit, sometimes i use a little electric foot board to tap a rythm.
i have an old drum stool, and a mini bar stool that sits about the same hieght as a drum seat- got it at canadian tire for 4$-

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Electric, standing. Bass, standing. Acoustic, sitting most of the time, standing sometimes. All bets are off if I'm tired.

The chair is a good quality adjustable office chair with the right arm removed to accomodate guitar bodies. Most of my straps are wider leather Levys.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Acoustic -- I prefer sitting on a hard wooden chair with my foot on stool. I try to maintain correct posture, but not always. Standing just doesn't feel comfortable for me. I would love to get one of those nice folding guitar chairs that I've seen in the back of AG magazine. But they cost around $250 USD!!

Cheers,
Al

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well I tend to play sitting down for practicing and such, but at a jam or whatnot, I play standing, since I don't wanna seem like a loser:zzz: I find that as long as I don't wear my guitar too low, it's just as easy to play standing.

·
Registered
14,753 Posts
If I'm playing on my own--either or both---whichever I feel like. Somtimes I play off the computer--then I sit so I can see the monitor better. But overall--I play both sitting and standing--no real preference.

If I'm playing with others--I take my cue from them.

As for straps--I use leather straps--they're more comfortable, and they don't move. I had a cloth strap that always moved and got too long--except for my bass--which I like lower than a guitar--so I used that one for my bass.

Also--when I stand I like the guitar just slightly lower than where it would be if I was standing, but different guitars are comfortable at slightly different heights.

Oh--and I also have a classical--I sit with that one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i sit on a spinning computer chair cause it look at the computer to see what i play, if not i sit on my bed..

not very god for practice though.. it hurts my ass after an hour of sitting.

u dont use my straps that much.. i just leave i there for decoration, mines a leatherish strap btw

·
Registered
306 Posts
I almost alway sit when I practice, especially when I am really trying to work on stuff, but I have gotten in the habit lately of standing when I am strumming. I find that my strumming is a little more fluid and besides that I need to practice playing standing up for the day I play on the stage at the bluegrass jam. I find standing to be a whole different deal...my flatpicking is not nearly as good. And it is easier to dance when standing...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I prefer to sit with my acoustics.
I do both with the electrics.
E

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I sit whenever I can. No strap when I'm sitting. My back bugs me when I stand, but once in a while I use the big thick Levy's straps with the sheepskin on the inside.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I like both sitting and standing, but more recently at home I usually sit and play in a kinda classical position with the guitar resting on my raised left knee. This seems to help my technique, but it has also been kinda neccessary since I bought my newest guitar which is a large mini jumbo size. My current setup is really terrible (flat dining room chair and footstool) and I have been getting some lower back pain if I play too long. I'd really like to have something like a soundseat ... Santa, you listenin'?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i like sitting on a stool as well, unless you're rocking out - then you gotta stand!

i have no idea how some ppl can spend $250 on a guitar chair, yikes!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like to stand when I am playing for the most part.

It helps my singing ability... because when I sit I hunch over. The only times I like to sing are when I am playing really technical finger picking or classical pieces.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts