The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what you guys would do with this- i pulled it out of a big ugly homemade p.a type thing(the box it was in was like 3 feet long lol, i had it under my bed for a year)
i cant find much info on the components, all are u.s.a made things that i find reference to only on ebay, but not really any info there.
i originally thought this stuff might make something like a 5e3 deluxe type, or even just one of the champs, but my technical knowledge of the components is weak, very weak.
i can read schematics, i can solder, i can avoid killing myself, but i know nothing of the theory-
my thinking is if i cant do anything with this stuff, ill just unload it- ive got parts lists and schematics i can use to start from scratch when i want- probably the simplest and headache free way for me to go-
anway heres some pics

it has a Stancor Power Transformer PM-8409
thordarson e-21601(filament transformer?)
western electric ret 221g-11V51
and came with a 6au6, a 6sc7,a 6sj7, 2 6v6, and a 5y3

please, if you have any thoughts anyone, let me hear em. im working on a few interesting restorations at the moment so this is at the bottom of the list.
thnks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
eeee, I wouldnt waste too much time on it as it stands. might be best to strip the parts, see what you've got for transformers and start again from there. The chassis is a big hurdle to overcome when making your own amps from scratch, so that might be a good base to work from.

edit: oops you answered it

·
Registered
133 Posts
email me here

i'm in the hammer aswell and know a guy who maybe able to help you with this thing

actually
there's a few guys here from hamilton who'd have some good ideas fer that thing

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey a pack of wolves

i see youre into little amps too- i like this stuff

i took these out of action until i get iso trannys for them, but i love them

and theres this- its a bit too loud

·
Registered
133 Posts
hells yeah!

my own recent adds have been a 15 watt filmosound and a 6 watt (solid state) kay.

i've even gotten good results from a 9 volt dano honeytone.

less can be more.

you must be changing fuses like crazy!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
hells yeah!

my own recent adds have been a 15 watt filmosound and a 6 watt (solid state) kay.

less can be more.

Howdy, neighbour!

Done a lot of those FilmoSound amps. Little cramped inside the chassis. Usually I gut them and run an old Ampeg style circuit with just a volume control and maybe a simple treble cut for the tone.

As for your "under the bed" amp, basically you have a power transformer and an output transformer good for a pair of 6V6's. I would scrap all the resistors and capacitors. It's like finding a '53 Chevy with the original tires, brake shoes and wipers. They're just no good anymore and should not be trusted.

The tube sockets are probably useful.

The trannies are the expensive things, anyway.

Have fun!

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hells yeah!

less can be more.

10-11-2007 10:20 PM
yes man- less can sure be more. theres nothing like a little amp bieng driven hard, its practically hopping around- so much character. and theyre cheap, simple to fix and portable.whats not to love. i had one of those honeytones once-that thing had class.

As for your "under the bed" amp, basically you have a power transformer and an output transformer good for a pair of 6V6's. I would scrap all the resistors and capacitors. It's like finding a '53 Chevy with the original tires, brake shoes and wipers. They're just no good anymore and should not be trusted.

The tube sockets are probably useful.

The trannies are the expensive things, anyway.
thanks wild bill- thats what i needed to know. i planned to use new caps and resistors. if i draw up some kind of circuit idea and post it here would you mind looking at it? im going to do a bit of homework anyway.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, and i thought i handwired my amp messy! That PA amp is best stripped..
lol yes agreed
i hope nobody got the impression i just intended to fire it up and play it.........

when i was 12 years old i was playing in this band- the amp i had was this old garnet, the box was smashed, so the guts were left hanging open- whenever it started cutting out and giving me zaps, the trick was to reach in and jiggle things around until it worked again. there was nobody to tell me it was capable of killing me, i just thought mild shocks were part of playing electric guitar

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bill,
yeah the Filmosound is totally as is,hope i can get some productive years from it,they make good little amp.

Fraser,
i know what yer saying,an odd and wierd little assortment of amp gives you some nice flavors to play with.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep, strip out the resitors and caps. Haven't seen capacitors like that since the 60's (those square things with the coloured dots - back then some books and techs called them condensers). Trannys may be of use too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts