The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here.
My buddy Chico just flat out looses his mind, if there is a hint of a storm approaching.
Usually I can tell a storm is coming by him going nuts ,sometimes almost an hour in advance.
Today it snuck up on him,one crack of thunder and he was off.
I'd love to be able to calm him down,,,but once a storm is on ...forget about it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I think it has to do with their hearing . He can probably hear it before you can . It's like a dog Wiesel we can't hear them but they can. I don't know just a guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Try Melatonin. One of our old dogs would go into total meltdown mode as soon a a storm would appoach. It didn't cure but it sure kept her calmer.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
+1 on the thundershirt. It has to be on tight. Gives them the sense of being "hugged" or snuggled. He may still be agitated, but it will calm him down.

Reactions: Lola

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
My German Shepherd passed away a few months back. He also feared thunderstorms and fireworks which in his mind were the same thing. The only way I could calm him down is to sit with him in my music room with all the blinds down and some music to drown out the noise. It wasn't completely effective but it helped.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
Get a treadmill and a generator, and have your dog's anxiety and panic turn into something useful.
You can't get a freaked out dog to perform in a new situation. They are already in panic attack mode. The dog is already in a very anxious state which will be compounded by a new situation. NOT happening.

Ask me to perform something new while in the midst of a panic attack. NOT happening. My anxiety levels have risen and it's fight or flight. It doesn't matter what distraction you put in front of me, it's NOT happening. I am already reeling from the mental and physical state that has been caused by the attack and you expect me to focus on something new. I am grabbing my coat and heading out the door. I have tried distracting myself with everything I can possibly think of. It doesn't help one iota. I am out the door!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've heard of those thundershirt deals before,but probably not a possibility.
The complication is...he's not my dog.
My neighbours,across the road ,are an older couple who would do anything for their children,then owning Chico is the result of their good nature.
His second home is our house, I take him for long walks etc.
He won't come inside in a storm,he just runs ,and runs and runs,there is lots of land around here and he uses it.

Bill says he wrecks the house if he isn't let out

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
So tell them about the benefits of getting their "adopted " canine the Thunder Shirt!

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
You can't get a freaked out dog to perform in a new situation. They are already in panic attack mode. The dog is already in a very anxious state which will be compounded by a new situation. NOT happening.

Ask me to perform something new while in the midst of a panic attack. NOT happening. My anxiety levels have risen and it's fight or flight. It doesn't matter what distraction you put in front of me, it's NOT happening. I am already reeling from the mental and physical state that has been cause by the attack and you expect me to focus on something new. I am grabbing my coat and heading out the door. I have tried distracting myself with everything I can possibly think of. It doesn't help one iota. I am out the door!
¡¡This just in.., dogs aren't people!!

·
Premium Member
17,157 Posts
¡¡This just in.., dogs aren't people!!
Correct, but behavioural science isnt just for humans ;)

Dogs dont like storms, I know that much. I think our dog sleeps through them, somehow. I think the thunderblanket is a good idea as well.

I have seen a picture of a dog watching dog-specific YT videos with headphones during fireworks. No idea if its real or if it would work (isolation from the trigger).

·
Premium Member
10,015 Posts
our dogs get very anxious just before and during thunderstorms...they pace around, pant, etc...and look for places to hide, even in parts of the house they rarely go (our older dog never comes up stairs any more as I think her poor vision and weaker hips makes it hard to navigate stairs, but during storms she will head up to where I guess she thinks its safer).

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So tell them about the benefits of getting their "adopted " canine the Thunder Shirt!
I seriously doubt you could even get one on him,especially once he is in 'the mode'.
He's probably close to 100lbs and all muscle .

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I'm not much of a dog person. My wifes dog (who is now passed away) was a shihtzu poodle mix. Whenever there were thunderstorms he'd freak out and go nuts. Its the only time he'd come to me. He always followed my wife around every where and didn't have much to do with me but when there were thunderstorms he'd freak out jump up beside me in bed (if this happenned after bed time) cuddle up beside me under the covers and shake like crazy. I would just hold him and try my best to comfort him. Victoria day and Canada day were bad to because of the fireworks. No matter where I was he'd search me out and look at me expecting me to protect him. I always thought that was strange as any other time I never paid much attention to him. I guess we were "Thunder Buddies".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts