The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

What coffee grinder do you use?

2K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  mawmow 
#1 ·
Well?

#4 ·
Yes it does, for a bunch of years so far. I think that it was around $100.

Get a burr grinder, one with a reservior for the beans and one for the grinds.
I'd used a Delongi from Canadian Tire previously, but they don't seem to sell them anymore.

My Krups coffee maker is over ten years old and still going strong, that's why I went with their coffee mill too.

#5 ·
Definitely a burr grinder. We wear one out in about a year. Currently have Hamilton Beach we got at Canadian Tire. My wife works for a specialty coffee supplier so we could get a commercial machine at wholesale but she says they require quite a bit of maintenance and a decent one is over $700. She says the cheap ones we’ve been buying are just as good as a cheap commercial ones until the burrs get worn.

#6 ·
Product Coffee grinder Kitchen appliance Home appliance Small appliance
De'Longhi Burr Coffee Grinder. I’ve had it for about 2years no problems.

#11 ·
Product Drink

Got this one when we first started buying beans many years ago. It refuses to die, unlike all the freaking coffee makers we've had in the same period. Basically it either chops the beans too big or reduces them to powder unless you stop at exactly the right time.

#12 ·
Have an old Braun chopper from the 70s that I rarely use and a Krups maker that works real good. Usually just buy the Nobob stuff at sobeys. I’m just looking for the early morning hit and out the door don’t have time to mess with grinders and such. If I could shoot it intravenously I’d probably do that be faster and more effective.

#14 ·
a $10. POS blade grinder that a relative gave me.
Its inconsistent, but I'm kind of a go big or go home guy, and I don't feel like spending $300. on a grinder right now. Ive been down the road of expensive coffee gear before and the law of diminishing returns applies even more to it than it does to guitar gear.

#20 ·
I'll throw in another vote for Baratza per @zdogma's post above.

I was deep in the coffee world for a couple of decades... makes crazy guitar-buying seem tame! Along the way I had two different Baratza grinders and can report that a lot of serious coffee junkies use them. They have a wide range of models but even the lower-end ones are better than most of the competition.

Make sure that you buy the right one for your kind of coffee. Some of them are better-suited to grinding drip coffee, some are better-suited to espresso, a few of the more expensive ones will do it all.

Serious coffee people will tell you to buy the MOST grinder that you can afford. It's just as important as the coffee maker, and like guitars you usually lose money when you're trading up later to the better one you really wanted.

Online Coffee Supplies & Accessories

#33 ·
For the past decade, I've been using one of those $10 grinders that Loblaw's markets to college students, along with $10 toasters, kettles, and other certified-for-dorm-room appliances, every autumn. Grind quality is more than acceptable but requires that the volume of beans to be ground at one shot to be modest. I grind three lots, and save it in a tightly-sealed jar. Usually about 5 days' worth, at 2 cups a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.