The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

What cables do you use?

7K views 39 replies 36 participants last post by  Ripper 
#1 ·
Since we know about the picks and strings, this seems to be the next logical choice.

I'm using Planet Waves. They do sound better than cheap cables especially in longer runs. More clarity. They do seem to crap out every year or so and with the life time warranty I just take them back to L&M and grab a new one. No charge, no questions asked.

The George Ls have more top end but I can't seem to make them worth crap. They can be a little harsh with a bright guitar or amp.

#4 ·
I have now finally completey changed over to george l's cables.

My First experience with george l's was in a studio in NY. we where recording a LesPaul through a 100w plexi on 10 and a 412 with greenbacks. We started off using a digiflex cable and then someone suggested trying the george l's. from teh control room the difference was noticable immediatly. much more pure adn focused sounding. it truely sounded like the entire studio signal chain had been upgraded. it was impressive.

Second experince, i started adding george l's cables to my live rig, here and there, one by one, never really noticed a huge difference. the magik happend when i all at once replaced my last 3 cables with george l's all at the same time. It was in soundcheck, right before a show. I fired up my VBA 400 and ........... ya, that was it, nothing, absolutly nothing, it was amazing, no hiss, no buzz, no hum. my rig had always been prone to being noisy in all the clubs. Now with george L's running head to toe, nothing but dead silence. Impressive i must say.

Ted :rockon:

#11 ·
I've been usinig the Evidence audio Lyric HG cable and I like it a lot.

In fact, I want to rewire my whole rack with it, but the shortest length I can buy in bulk is 250 feet and all I need is about a third of that. If anyone else is looking for a good chunk of this cable in bulk shoot me an e-mail and maybe we can split an order

thanks,

ryan
ryan@7thsunn.com

#13 ·
George L's between the pedals and from the last pedal to the amp. Currently using a Bullet coiled cable between the guitar and first pedal. I think the high end roll-off of the Bullet cable mellows out the sound of the George L's, which can be shrill sounding on their own.

#16 ·
Planet Waves

#19 ·
noobcake....yes cables do make a difference. It is more noticable as the equipment it is used on becomes higher end stuff. Therfore you will hear it more on a $3000 handwired tube amp than on a $300 SS amp. I use planet waves and have found that the Yorkville cables are the best of the cheaper brands.

Tarl

#23 ·
Well I use a wireless unit between the guitars and the Tonelab.

When I use cables it's always Switchcraft ends with Beldon cable with shrink tube for stress relief on the ends.

I'm doubtful as to the impact to sound unless you're using junk cables or very old ones.

#25 ·
I use the random rope cables...I don't know who makes them, but I bought them at L&M.

I have one like these, and one that has a rubber thing over the metal case at the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.