The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to assemble a few guitar cables. I'm getting Amphenol end plugs. What is a good bulk cable construction (gauge, material, etc ...) to buy ?

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
Mogami Gold is probably the most well known brand Mogami Gold to be specific. I actually prefer Vam Damme XKE as it has a much lower capacitance than Mogami Gold. Less capacitance is better, but it may not be audible depedning on your ears. My guitars sound a wee bit brighter with the Van Damme. I also buy it in extra long lengths from a guy in the UK. It's much cheaper than buying the Mogami Gold in Canada. sorry I should say it used to be. It's 3 CDN a foot right now plus shipping. Oh, and it comes in 8 or 10 different colors if you're sick of black

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
After a bit of research, if you can find it... screw the Mogami, look for Gotham GAC-1 it the same price if not cheaper and a much better cable. for reference, the Mogami Gold is the Mogami 2524. I was not able to find it in bulk, but I saw a 15 foot Mogami gold cable for 90 bucks and the Gotham is only 45. (Redco.com in the US has the Gotham for 59 cents a foot. Shipping might be a bitch though)

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

Reactions: BGood

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Studio Economik in Montreal sell Mogami in bulk, at 1.22$/feet, not 3$. All my cables are custom made with the 2524 and Neutrik Gold connectors, and they're excellent cables

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
After a bit of research, if you can find it... screw the Mogami, look for Gotham GAC-1 it the same price if not cheaper and a much better cable. for reference, the Mogami Gold is the Mogami 2524. I was not able to find it in bulk, but I saw a 15 foot Mogami gold cable for 90 bucks and the Gotham is only 45. (Redco.com in the US has the Gotham for 59 cents a foot. Shipping might be a bitch though)

View attachment 383275
Is there a Belden cable that'll work?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Semi-related, you might want to mix a few of these into your signal chain. I wouldn't recommend them on all your pedals, but a few that you can space properly. I've been using them between my mini-pedals and my size 10 shoe can still get in there and stomp the right box. Maximum signal transfer and no cable management.

Nickel Tool Auto part Household hardware Engineering

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Semi-related, you might want to mix a few of these into your signal chain. I wouldn't recommend them on all your pedals, but a few that you can space properly. I've been using them between my mini-pedals and my size 10 shoe can still get in there and stomp the right box. Maximum signal transfer and no cable management.

View attachment 383300
I like those, but I'm all set in that department. Still, you have a link ?

My needs are for effects loop cables and maybe two or three guitar cables.

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
Thrse can touch if you get the cable in the notch right

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
These can wreck your pedals. Not recommended. When you press the switch on one pedal, it puts strain on the jacks of both pedals.

View attachment 383300

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts

View attachment 383275

Seconded. It's what I keep in stock for instrument cables.

That said with the exception of Gotham (they use a double Reussen shield and more layers of insulation) any good major brand (and even a few house brands) are pretty samey - go with what you can get cheaper (which will never be Mogami, or Klotz, except we're not in Europe so not even a real choice - way overpriced - Canare is essentially the same with almost as much name brand cachet and a significantly cheaper - which is why I buy their wire for balanced mic/line and install cable). Sometiems a brand/model will have a useful feature - like a drain wire under the shield which makes stripping/prep a LOT quicker/easier (but I think that particular feature is mostly mic cable vs guitar). That time savings may be worth some additional cost. The double shield on Gotham wire actually takes longer, but for unbalanced Hi-Z signals that are very susceptable to noise and interference, I consider it worthwhile.

Capacitance isn't everything (and some ways of reducing capacitance, such as thinner shield braid, are worse). That graph also has no numbers on it so we have no idea what the scale of the difference is. The important things are a good solid sheild and a well insulated center conductor of non-flimsy gauge, and all the major brands check those boxes.

Other brands that are high quality include Redco and Gepco. Also don't forget Belden (which is sometimes easier to get than the others in Canada).

Mogami Gold (as suggested above) is a prefab cable vs bulk wire.

@BGood, I commend you on your choice of Amphenol connectors (for exactly the reasons I mention above - same quality as Neutrik, but cheaper and also smaller when it comes to the 1/4" jacks' thickness - for XLR I do actually use Neutrik as there no price or size difference).

If you wanna experiment and see the difference (not just sound but workability - that to me is a bigger factor because the sound differences are minimal if any at all) get a random offcuts box from RedCo audio. You'll likely get some Mogami in there and see what the fuss is(n't) about.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Thanks for all that.
Did you order that box from RedCo audio ? Comes to around 30CAD.
Are there enough usable lenghts in that box ?

I've ordered it twice at least (always as part of a larger order though) as well as the mic mystery box (those are great for adapter cables, like XLR to TRS and patchbays etc). You won't get a single long peice, but you wwill get several 4-10 footers sometimes the odd longer one.... the longest one I have left over right now is..... 11ft black Canare mic cable, and 8 ft blue Mogami low profile guitar cable, and a 9ft white Canare mic cable. Like the description says, all usable lengths (I like short cables tho - 6-8ft between me and pedalboard and same for amp; a longer cable in case of larger stages). It's like one of those USPS prepaid fixed size boxes pretty full (the small or medium size, like the 8 x 5 x 3" ish ones). I priced it out once and it was less than half the total by the foot price.

Reactions: BGood

·
Registered
419 Posts
These can wreck your pedals...
Didn't think of that, I'm sort of new to multiple pedals, used amp gain for decades and maybe a single pedal. But my days of live stomping are long over, these direct connectors work fine for my home setup considering I don't stomp them much.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've ordered it twice at least (always as part of a larger order though) as well as the mic mystery box (those are great for adapter cables, like XLR to TRS and patchbays etc). You won't get a single long peice, but you wwill get several 4-10 footers sometimes the odd longer one.... the longest one I have left over right now is..... 11ft black Canare mic cable, and 8 ft blue Mogami low profile guitar cable, and a 9ft white Canare mic cable. Like the description says, all usable lengths (I like short cables tho - 6-8ft between me and pedalboard and same for amp; a longer cable in case of larger stages). It's like one of those USPS prepaid fixed size boxes pretty full (the small or medium size, like the 8 x 5 x 3" ish ones). I priced it out once and it was less than half the total by the foot price.
Great, thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts