The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use Dean Markley Blue Steel LT strings. The gauge is .009 - .042
Those are some damn nice strings. If on the off chance they are sold out of those though, I stick with the tried and true Ernie Ball Super Slinky (same gauge).

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky. 15 years strong (not the same set) :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dean Markley Blue Steel since the day I started... guage depends on tuning.

Standard I use 9-46, whole step down I use 10-52 and drop C or anything lower I use 10-60 (custom Catanese set).

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have tried everything over the years and keep going back to D'darrio 9 to 46 for my electrics, I just prefer both the sound and the feel of them. For acoustic it is Martin mediums.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
For my acoustics it's John Pearse. I've tried many other brands - some more expensive, some less but nothing has come close to the tones I get from John Pearse strings.

For my electrics, same story, tried a lot but have settled on GHS Boomers. For no other reason than I get consistently good tones from them, they rarely break on me and seem to last a little longer than others I've tried.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've never heard them mentioned here before, but I like Martin "Silk and Steel" (11-47) strings for my acoustics. For my electric I use D'darrio 10's.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I only use Snake Oils out of the states. Best I've ever had.

www.sobstrings.net

I prefer the rock 9-42 set.

·
Premium Member
4,320 Posts
D'Addario XL140 (10-52). Been using the same brand of strings for over 10 years now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am trying to get used to .10's.. hated the G string for the longest time so maybe the solution is to get a set with a lighter G string. Might go back to stock 9's though as they allow me better feel for vibrato. 10's feel like a bit of a workout at times. Playing Ernie Ball because D'addario's always seemed to break.. that and Vinnie Moore plays Ernie Ball so i figured why the heck not.

Maybe I'll try them snake oils next..

·
Registered
35 Posts
As of Saturday I use .011-.049 inch D'Aaddario strings on my Strat. I love the sound I get from them, and it makes my transition to acoustic much easiar. They were only $5.49 at Steve's too.

As for the Acoustic, I use Martin Acoustic SP lights. .012-.054 inches. I might switch to a higher gauge seeing as I just did on my electric.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Another vote for 11-49 d'addarios. Good quality, very reasonable price (especially in the 10 paks). Fot the acoustic Elixir lights.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I use D'Addario EXL110s (.010-.046). I've never seen any reason to change as these do it for me.

I've set up a few 25½" scale guitars lately with EXL120s (.009-.042) and I'm diggin them too. They have a loose, slinky feel to them and the longer scale seems to offset the tone difference a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Usually D'Addario but sometimes others like FireWire, Dean Markley (electrics, don't like the acoustics)...D'Addario Players Points have paid off in lots of t-shirts, beer glasses, ruck sacks, etc.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm on a string "mission" these days. I've tried a number of different string brands with varying results. The strings I have on my main axe nowadays are GHS Nickel Rockers, 9-42 gauge. Not bad, but they feel like they have a bit higher tension to me, more than what I'm normally used to. I've tried Slinkys and D'Addarios and they seemed a little bright to me. I also tried Snake Oil Brand nickel strings and I liked them a lot, but ordering them over the Internet worried me a bit. So I think I'll try a set of DR Pure Blues next time I change strings and see what they're like. The quest continues!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was using snake oils but was breaking them too often . I now try to find dean markley customs 11-52 for strat or 10-46 regulars for les paul.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts