The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found this at a place where I picked up a beater Strat before, and was sorely tempted. It's got a Floyd Rose Special, and Gotohs on it, and it's a set neck (or possibly a neck through). I can't for the life of me figure out the manufacturer. For about $105, I kinda want it. (But I already have 3 guitars and 3 basses to ship back to Canada)

The headstock says "80s BC rich", but the curvature of the cutout on the bottom of the headstock seems to be a little deep and the bevels on the body (esp in the horns) are wrong. And also - I don't remember BC Rich ever having sharkfin inlays.

Then I thought - Samick! But the headstocks on those appear to all be inverted, and it appears that all of those were bolt ons. And again, the bevels on the body are all wrong.

So I'm at a loss here. It doesn't look like there have been any modifications to the headstock, other than the TRC and ugly paint on the surface.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Samick in the early 90's put out their versions of BC Rich styles with no logos and shark fin inlay. I believe they also dabbled in "crackle" finishes, not sure if that's the look the headstock is going for.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Samick BR series were all bolt on necks. I'm tempted to ask them to pull a pickup out so I can look in the cavity.

It looked like the body and neck is the original finish, and the headstock is just covered in some sort of gunk.

·
Premium Member
9,721 Posts
The knockoffs rarely if ever did neck through body guitars.
I think this is likely a rich that's been messed with for some reason.

on second thought I'm leaning towards Samick due to the shark fin inlays and diff shaped electronics rout on the back.

·
Registered
662 Posts
For $100, that thing would be sitting on a stand in my apartment. It’s rare to get a playable guitar for $100, let alone a guitar with a Floyd and Gotoh parts already on it.

If I was handy to it, it wouldn’t be there anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts