• Band

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Genre

Votes: 2 9.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not sounding like crap. I like a lot of different music. For me a good song is a good song. Simple as that. Sometimes it's the music sometimes the lyrics, could be anything.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Actually, none of the above. For me it's the melody. The lyrics could be about vegetable soup, the band could be heavy metal, the instruments could be anything, and the genre could be way out of my usual league. But, if I like the melody, I figure it's a good song for me. Then I can play around with it and determine if it's do-able in an acoustic arrangement. That's half the fun :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
I think its a combination of many things. If it was only one thing, then we could be like the major labels and reproduce that one thing over and over again, and cash in. Hmmm, ok for lots of people its only one thing. Melody is a strong one for most people though. Even punk songs have it. Without it, you kind of limit your audience. Of course you can always smash your guitar at the end to make up for its lacking.............

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not sounding like crap. I like a lot of different music. For me a good song is a good song. Simple as that. Sometimes it's the music sometimes the lyrics, could be anything.
Exactly the same with me, usually I hate country, but at work that's whats always on the radio, and theres the occasional song I like.

·
Registered
328 Posts
the music has to have a hook for me to actually buy the song. Otherwise, melody and lyrics may grab me.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
As long the band has catchy riffs, a talented lead player and decent vocals within the rock / metal genres I usually like it.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Groove...and a combination of things like melody, rhythm, groove, instrumentation, the "hook", spirit, vibe, etc.

For example, I love Little Wing by Hendrix or SRV, but Sting's version has no groove to my ears.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Instrumental is definitely the determining factor for myself. I like to hear how the music and the melody of the lyrics can intertwine sometimes and if there's a ripping-good solo/riff, it'll catch my attention far more than just lyrics, the band, or the genre alone.

Plus, I can't choose lyrics for the instrumental songs that I listen to!

Edit: Plus, listen to some of Vai/Satriani's stuff, they can do a lot more with a guitar than many singers can do with their voices and lyrics.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
A good riff, good solo, good lyrics...all delivered with emotion. Sounds corny but...it just grabs you.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...there's an indefinable urgency, immediacy or sense of the moment in many great songs, and/or great recordings (sometimes you can make a great recording with a mediocre song).

that's what pulls me in.

-dh

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think the instruments, the playing, lyrics (if there are any) are all really important. I like a lot of different stuff, from folk, classic rock, metal, some classical. While I "like" a lot of music there is much less that really moves me on a deep level. These pieces tend to have a kind of complexity to them that is new to me. If I'm listening to a song for the first time I find myself (even with a good song) getting impatient and fast forwarding parts just to get the gist of it. But pieces that grab me from the beginning and keep my attention are quite rare.

here is one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3p48EezhOU

I could have this on a loop all day.

·
Premium Member
18,204 Posts
sometimes its the music, or the lyrics, or even just the rhythm. usually a combo of all 3.

wouldnt melody fall under music?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Music: riffs and melody

Usually, I am attracted to a song by the riff or the melody. After that the defining feature as to whether it holds my attention is the lyrics. I have to admit, I have left some songs off of mixed CDs because the lyrics were shite. I may learn the song, but guaranteed if I had to do a version of a song live to which I did not like the lyrics it would become an instrumental.:food-smiley-004:

Right now for example, I am listening to Jon Butcher and I was always impressed with his phrasing and songwriting. His lyrics are good, he has some really good riffs and the phrasing on the solos is awesome. I had forgot how good this guy is. I am really enjoying this. I am really surprised he never went anywhere. Incredible the number of good performers who don't get any recognition or fall through the cracks.:rockon2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts