The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

What are you listening to right now?

310K views 10K replies 357 participants last post by  Paul M 
#1 ·
I borrowed this thread concept from fellow forum member Jim Soloway. It's a good way to get some new music suggestions.

Right now: Scott Henderson - Vibe Station

#13 ·
An interesting change for me. Someone recently told me to check out the band Halestorm.

I really dig her voice. You rarely hear female rock vocalists who grind it out like that. If you're a fan of female fronted modern rock bands, you might like some of their stuff.

#16 ·
Yeah the so called Ultra LP. I have that, but I'm listening to a digital copy here at work. Here are the features of the vinyl:

- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

So yeah it's a pretty cool pain in the ass.

And the "Ultra-LP" thing reminds me of a joke from a '90s British TV show that I think I'm the only one in the world who thinks is hilarious:

Q: What dish has over 1,000,000 ingredients?
A: Ultimate Shepherd's Pie

#23 ·
Kurt Rosenwinkel's Star of Jupiter album. Came out ages ago but I haven't given it a chance. I hadn't really cared for him as a player and his incredibly dickish comments after Vijay Iyer won a MacArthur grant didn't further endear him to me. This is kinda cool though. Expansive sound for a quartet. Definitely his own man but sounds a bit like Bruford-era Holdsworth (tonally for sure. Not always in terms of vocabulary) playing in a more swinging context.

#25 ·
The title track is great too. The battle scene in the middle, where Howe's goes from guitar to steel and then Moraz comes in with a soaring minimoog solo, I just get chills thinking about it.

#35 ·
My daughter was considering switching in her school band from trombone to drums, because she figured she wouldn't have to read notes, just rhythm.
(she plays piano, so can read music better than me). So I found the sheet music for Zappa's Black page, to show here there are a hell of a lot of things to keep track of.
So we were listening to some Zappa earlier.

Speaking of drummers, it seems I have enjoyed so many bands Barrett Martin has been in
(Screaming Trees, Mad Season, and now the Walking Papers)

Reactions: Gearhead88