The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I started a thread like the but I guess not?

Did a search and couldn't find anything.

I am currently learning "People get ready" Curtis Mayfield. A little more tame then what I am used to but so much fun.

Here's a great tutorial on the song.

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
You did start a thread, but I think it had to do with groups of 3. My memory is shit, but I do remember it.

Anyway, I actually have to properly learn "Shook me all night long" for a jam amongst grade school friends this evening in Newmarket. A buddy rented a jam space for his little brother's birthday.

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Adacandour I have heard your guitar prowess. You will have no problem acing this song! The solo is a little tricky but you will knock it out of the ballpark!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Learning about cells, an extension of the arpeggio work I've been doing. And learning to write a song from a lick that has been running through my head from a few months. Going to have an opportunity to be recorded in January.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
I've been taking a group course in how to jam. The teacher is a cello player but she can also play piano, guitar, and sing. She is very big on theory which has always been a bit of a weak point for me. She a knack for explaining why certain patterns of chords and notes work. She made us learn to sing the interval song which has greatly helped my singing and my ability to play by ear. Strangely enough her teaching us to jam has helped my songwriting. Don't know if it's the ear training or a better understanding of which notes work together.

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been taking a group course in how to jam. The teacher is a cello player but she can also play piano, guitar, and sing. She is very big on theory which has always been a bit of a weak point for me. She a knack for explaining why certain patterns of chords and notes work. She made us learn to sing the interval song which has greatly helped my singing and my ability to play by ear. Strangely enough her teaching us to jam has helped my songwriting. Don't know if it's the ear training or a better understanding of which notes work together.
I sat down with a guitar player the other day and I said play whatever you want, doesn't matter the key and I will play by ear! I was able to follow along for the most part! I was making stuff up on the fly! Very interesting an challenging. It expands your learning curve greatly.

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You did start a thread, but I think it had to do with groups of 3. My memory is shit, but I do remember it.

Anyway, I actually have to properly learn "Shook me all night long" for a jam amongst grade school friends this evening in Newmarket. A buddy rented a jam space for his little brother's birthday.
Hey are you still whaling onVan Halen? I hope so. You have crazy potential from some of the riffs I heard you play!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Travis picking. From the start I've faked it with hybrid picking (pick & mostly middle finger) but now I'm sitting down and trying to do it fingerstyle and deliberately work out different patterns so I don't get stuck into doing one thing over and over.

Still can't tolerate a thumb pick :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Travis picking. From the start I've faked it with hybrid picking (pick & mostly middle finger) but now I'm sitting down and trying to do it fingerstyle and deliberately work out different patterns so I don't get stuck into doing one thing over and over.

Still can't tolerate a thumb pick :(
This is something that is on my list to learn.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Hey are you still whaling onVan Halen? I hope so. You have crazy potential from some of the riffs I heard you play!
I still play it a fair bit, since it's currently the most technical stuff I've learned, so it keeps my fingers warm. Once I'll my gear is in order I'll be going back to Vai stuff though. Not that I prefer it, but it's just good shred value :)

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
I've been madly trying to learn songs that I can sing. I just started hosting an open mic two months ago and I'm realizing that I really don't have enough material. It's been a combination of re-learning tunes that I used to play and trying to find some songs from this century that fit with my voice. Add to that that I'm trying to stay away from the "standards" that other people typically like to do at open mics - it's been stretching me, but it's been fun too!.

I've also been working at learning to play "Flashlight Tag" - an instrumental tune by Joel Saunders - a young man who has placed at the Canadian Guitar Championship the last couple of years and who grew up here in Uxbridge.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I'm pushing my limits physically and theoretically with this one. One of the toughest tunes I've tried.

Haha. My buddy sings (and plays) the shit out of this so I decided to learn it tonight. Gonna throw a few chops in just for variation.

I just love this tune.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts