1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks to me like someone took apart a bicycle chain,used one side of the link as a washer and some screws from the hardware store so you can mount your pedals to your board.
Anyone got some extra bicycle chain they don't know what to do with ???:banana:

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I thought the exact same thing. I'm actually going to stop at the bike shop after work to see if they have any of those fig. 8 washers!

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Chain links is all. Go to a bike shop and ask for a handfull of master links. And remember to oil your pedalboard frequently.:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yeah, chain links. I've done it. Works very well with most pedals, but I found 'booteek' pedals made in the Hammond enclosures (like the ones from BYOC) you can't get the damn screw back in with the link on. And I couldn't find the same screw longer at the any hardware stores around here. I didn't want to cross-thread them, so I now use zip ties instead. Much easier, cleaner if you move stuff around or off your board and a snap to undo/redo.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How exactly do you use zip ties to keep everything in place?

TG

gproud said:
Yeah, chain links. I've done it. Works very well with most pedals, but I found 'booteek' pedals made in the Hammond enclosures (like the ones from BYOC) you can't get the damn screw back in with the link on. And I couldn't find the same screw longer at the any hardware stores around here. I didn't want to cross-thread them, so I now use zip ties instead. Much easier, cleaner if you move stuff around or off your board and a snap to undo/redo.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
How exactly do you use zip ties to keep everything in place?

TG

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you just drill through the board and wrap the zip tie around and through.

Does this hold the pedals securely in place? I have a handle on one end of my board and don't want the pedals sliding or flapping all over the place when I carry it by the handle.

Thanks for the info and pics
TG

gproud said:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
So you just drill through the board and wrap the zip tie around and through.

Does this hold the pedals securely in place? I have a handle on one end of my board and don't want the pedals sliding or flapping all over the place when I carry it by the handle.

Thanks for the info and pics
TG
When I put one on I take a pair of pliers and crank the zip tie on the underside until it's nice and tight. The only possible problem is slight scratching of the enclosure by the tie, but they stay on very tight. Very little movement at all. I put my piece o plywood in an old case and the pedals are sitting upright during trips to and from rehearsal, and they've never moved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another vote of confidence for the zip tie method, it's the way I do it myself, and have never had a problem holding anything from a Boss pedal, to a wha pedal, or even the little Dano Fish and Chips eq.

·
Registered
597 Posts
gproud said:
Yeah, chain links. I've done it. Works very well with most pedals, but I found 'booteek' pedals made in the Hammond enclosures (like the ones from BYOC) you can't get the damn screw back in with the link on. And I couldn't find the same screw longer at the any hardware stores around here....
This is one of the reasons I used the strapping instead of bike chain links. It's thinner and pliable, easy to bend. The bolt heads just kind of sink into the material when you're driving tho pedal bolts back into the corners. Just cut or bend/break off little pieces an inch or so long with a pliers.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Robboman said:
This is one of the reasons I used the strapping instead of bike chain links. It's thinner and pliable, easy to bend. The bolt heads just kind of sink into the material when you're driving tho pedal bolts back into the corners. Just cut or bend/break off little pieces an inch or so long with a pliers.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a winner. I can't believe I never thought of that. D'oh! :bow:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Canadian Tire has it. I bought some there not too long ago. Great idea, you should patent it(j/k):food-smiley-015: Seriously, thanks for the tip. I already got some too.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just bought some at Home Depot and it works great! You only really need to screw down opposite corners rather than all four.

One problem . . . Digitech pedals don't work with it because their weird screw won't secure with the strapping wrapped around it. I will either have to find new screws to hold the back on or use a twist tie on my Bad Monkey.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post a pic once it is completely finished.

TG

1 - 20 of 26 Posts