The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Looks to me like someone took apart a bicycle chain,used one side of the link as a washer and some screws from the hardware store so you can mount your pedals to your board.
Anyone got some extra bicycle chain they don't know what to do with ???:banana:

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
I just used some tin strapping from Home Depot to make my own little bits of metal that do the same thing. Bike chains look a bit neater and nicer. Either way, much better than Velcro IMO - been doing it this way for years.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
290 Posts
Yeah, chain links. I've done it. Works very well with most pedals, but I found 'booteek' pedals made in the Hammond enclosures (like the ones from BYOC) you can't get the damn screw back in with the link on. And I couldn't find the same screw longer at the any hardware stores around here. I didn't want to cross-thread them, so I now use zip ties instead. Much easier, cleaner if you move stuff around or off your board and a snap to undo/redo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How exactly do you use zip ties to keep everything in place?

TG


gproud said:
Yeah, chain links. I've done it. Works very well with most pedals, but I found 'booteek' pedals made in the Hammond enclosures (like the ones from BYOC) you can't get the damn screw back in with the link on. And I couldn't find the same screw longer at the any hardware stores around here. I didn't want to cross-thread them, so I now use zip ties instead. Much easier, cleaner if you move stuff around or off your board and a snap to undo/redo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you just drill through the board and wrap the zip tie around and through.

Does this hold the pedals securely in place? I have a handle on one end of my board and don't want the pedals sliding or flapping all over the place when I carry it by the handle.

Thanks for the info and pics
TG



gproud said:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
290 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
So you just drill through the board and wrap the zip tie around and through.

Does this hold the pedals securely in place? I have a handle on one end of my board and don't want the pedals sliding or flapping all over the place when I carry it by the handle.

Thanks for the info and pics
TG
When I put one on I take a pair of pliers and crank the zip tie on the underside until it's nice and tight. The only possible problem is slight scratching of the enclosure by the tie, but they stay on very tight. Very little movement at all. I put my piece o plywood in an old case and the pedals are sitting upright during trips to and from rehearsal, and they've never moved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Another vote of confidence for the zip tie method, it's the way I do it myself, and have never had a problem holding anything from a Boss pedal, to a wha pedal, or even the little Dano Fish and Chips eq.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
gproud said:
Yeah, chain links. I've done it. Works very well with most pedals, but I found 'booteek' pedals made in the Hammond enclosures (like the ones from BYOC) you can't get the damn screw back in with the link on. And I couldn't find the same screw longer at the any hardware stores around here....
This is one of the reasons I used the strapping instead of bike chain links. It's thinner and pliable, easy to bend. The bolt heads just kind of sink into the material when you're driving tho pedal bolts back into the corners. Just cut or bend/break off little pieces an inch or so long with a pliers.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
290 Posts
Robboman said:
This is one of the reasons I used the strapping instead of bike chain links. It's thinner and pliable, easy to bend. The bolt heads just kind of sink into the material when you're driving tho pedal bolts back into the corners. Just cut or bend/break off little pieces an inch or so long with a pliers.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a winner. I can't believe I never thought of that. D'oh! :bow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just bought some at Home Depot and it works great! You only really need to screw down opposite corners rather than all four.

One problem . . . Digitech pedals don't work with it because their weird screw won't secure with the strapping wrapped around it. I will either have to find new screws to hold the back on or use a twist tie on my Bad Monkey.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post a pic once it is completely finished.

TG
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top