The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting pretty deep with this question fellas. I'm a young guy myself at just 22. I'm curious as to what advice you would give yourself if you could go back in time. Can be music or non-music related

Cheers

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Musically my advice to my younger self would have been to go play in someone else's band instead of being the lead singer/lead writer/lead guitarist of my own band. I'm a good singer and writer but not a great front man. Might have had more success as part of someone else's train rather than on my own.

Quit smoking.

Go to university.

Buy stocks.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
There is a lot of advice I would give my younger self but I will stick to music.

My advice would be to not walk away from guitar as a child to concentrate on sports. Sure you'll have fun playing hockey but your body will eventually make you pay the price for that and you won't pick the guitar up again until you are well into your adult years, which will make things much harder than they needed to be. And although you had a good time in the '80s, you might have had an even better time had you been playing guitar in some band (just think of the women!!!).

·
Registered
24,144 Posts
I would have smacked myself upside the head and told me "Learn to sight read, you shmuck!".

There is certainly a lot one can do by ear, and there is a lot of music that requires very little knowledge or skill of its players to be done well and be enjoyable. But if you can read, there is so much more of the world that will be open to you.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
If you do go the band route. Take lots of pictures. You'll regret it if you don't. Mind you, getting your pictures was a lot more work and expense back in the 60's & 70's. You had to drop the roll of film off somewhere to get them developed and drive back to that place and pay the fee for developing and printing the pictures.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would have told myself to be more involved in high school bands, and even now get more involved. I'm currently playing with a few buddies and we played a battle of the bands in February, but I can't help but feel that I missed out on some real opportunities both musically and otherwise in my early teen years. High school probably could have even been an enjoyable experience.

·
Premium Member
16,629 Posts
Actually practice after stopping lessons (or continue them). Eat better, keep cycling. Keep doing what makes you happy even if everyone else says you shouldn't. Mostly that last one.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
You will get no additional enjoyment from that 7th beer - at best, you'll just sleep it off.

If you're not having fun, go home. You're not going to miss anything.

Musically:

Your music is not the only music - listen with an open mind.

Better to play bad music with good people than the other way around.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Getting pretty deep with this question fellas. I'm a young guy myself at just 22. I'm curious as to what advice you would give yourself if you could go back in time. Can be music or non-music related

Cheers
I finally wised up at about the age you're at now. My early twenties consisted of dropping out of university for a stupid girl, working a stupid job I hated during the day and trying to get back into school at night, and drinking waaaaaaay too much on weekends and even some weeknights.

Save yourself some time, money and brain cells...finish school, if the girl is worth it then she'll be there when it's all said and done, and take it easy on the booze and other extracurricular activities.

Musically...I wish I had taken music seriously as a kid and not waited until turning 40 to make a somewhat serious push at trying to learn how to play.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I have no regrets and wouldn't change a thing if I could go back in time. My advice is to not worry about things you can't change. Enjoy what you are doing. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. You do have to accept the consequences of what you do so think things through, make a desicion, and live with it. Don't be afraid of failure and mistakes or you'll end up doing nothing. It never hurts to be polite. I've lived by those simple rules and had a pretty good life.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
First, I would have served my God much, much earlier in life. I was married at 20 which is way too young IMHO, although it did work out well. I quite smoking at 21 but would have never smoked at all, over drank or smoked pot and did other drugs. I would not have disappointed my parents the number of times I did and been a more loyal person in general. I could write a book on what I would change.

Reactions: Lola

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Pull your head out of your ass, think with your brain not your pecker, don't think your god's gift to the female population, spend more time practising and playing and less time goofing around. Remember sex and the single girl was just a movie.
%h(*&

1 - 20 of 71 Posts