The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up on funk and soul music. Maybe it was a time of less segregated music. Maybe it was local DJs that had a penchant for the stuff. Maybe there simply wasn't quite as much product of every kind, so that every genre of music was gotten around to. But my diverse array of guitar heroes included both Steve Cropper and Jimmy Nolan.

When both Prince and Aretha Franklin passed away, we saw an outpouring of grief and respect from many here. So it's not that folks actively dislike or disrespect the genre. But when it comes to declaring what one likes or is currently listening to, I rarely see anything that might fit the category of funk or soul.

Is it the case that contemporary music provides nothing that appeals to younger members, and my affection for it stems from a more productive and "musical" era? Is it the case that funk and soul don't have any obvious guitar heroes? Or do members here view it as that vegetable their mom puts on the plate, like squash, that they will eat but don't really look forward to?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would consider myself a pretty big funk fan. Although I don’t have a lot of material. I have most of the Meters stuff worth having, including work they did with others like Dr John and Robert Palmer. But I file other things with funk as well, like the Chili Peppers, Edgar Winter and Little Feat. Here is a great track by Aaron Neville written by a funk master himself Allen T’oussaint.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Here is a band I stumbled upon recently that appear to be ready to carry the torch. Only covers so far, but what smokin’ covers they are. And the voice on this kid.......

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I love funk and soul music, but as far as playing it goes, so much of it is horn driven and the backing vocals are so strong that it's hard to do it justice in a band context unless you have a 7 piece band with several instrumentalists who are also strong on vocals. And then there's the problem of splitting the money 7 ways...

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
I love funk and soul music, but as far as playing it goes, so much of it is horn driven and the backing vocals are so strong that it's hard to do it justice in a band context unless you have a 7 piece band with several instrumentalists who are also strong on vocals. And then there's the problem of splitting the money 7 ways...
I agree. I love the chance to play with a few horns, or heaven forbid a whole horn section. Funk is far from my core music, and I'd love play with a funk band (whether they'd want me or not is a totally separate question).

But with that many people, any pay gigs just get sliced thinner and thinner all the time. It seems everyone has adopted the 'music should be free' mentality (we should just do what we love for free, right?) while they are happy to pay $200 to go to an NHL game. Unless you can get some $eriou$ corporate gigs, you have to recognize you are doing it to sound as good as possible and take pride in your band, regardless of any money made (although it is nice to cover gas or broken equipment fees).

We do a few funk/soul type songs with the keyboards covering as much of the horn stuff as he can. He of course does lots of other things and that makes playing 5 piece worth the pay hit. It's also easier to divide by 5 than 7, especially at the end of a night of drinking. I've long since given up on making money playing music. Hell, it was hard enough in the 80s, when people cared about live music and actually would pay a cover to get in.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
I like funk from the psychedelic years. Sly and the Family Stone, James Brown. And the Wild Cherry hit is fun to play

Reactions: marcos

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
My first band i joined at 15 was a full soul gigging band, Jimmy Young and The Soul Imperials !!! I have been a fan of this type of music since. My idea of good soul and funk music is James Brown, Wilson Picket, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Aretha Franklin and more in this genre.

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. I love the chance to play with a few horns, or heaven forbid a whole horn section. Funk is far from my core music, and I'd love play with a funk band (whether they'd want me or not is a totally separate question).

But with that many people, any pay gigs just get sliced thinner and thinner all the time. It seems everyone has adopted the 'music should be free' mentality (we should just do what we love for free, right?) while they are happy to pay $200 to go to an NHL game. Unless you can get some $eriou$ corporate gigs, you have to recognize you are doing it to sound as good as possible and take pride in your band, regardless of any money made (although it is nice to cover gas or broken equipment fees).

We do a few funk/soul type songs with the keyboards covering as much of the horn stuff as he can. He of course does lots of other things and that makes playing 5 piece worth the pay hit. It's also easier to divide by 5 than 7, especially at the end of a night of drinking. I've long since given up on making money playing music. Hell, it was hard enough in the 80s, when people cared about live music and actually would pay a cover to get in.
One of the most thrilling performances I have ever seen from any band was The Box Tops opening for the Beach Boys here many years ago. They did a cover of the Bar-Kays' "Soulfinger", where Alex Chilton did the horn parts on harmonica. So, even though it would be nice to have brass, it doesn't NEED to have brass. There can often be workarounds that keep the feel of the tune.

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think soul and funk are two different styles of music myself.
Sometimes, yeah. Other times, they come together in ways that require 16-hour surgery to tease apart. For instance, consider this Rufus Thomas gem. Clearly a "soul" singing style, but sooooooo funky. And why do Rufus Thomas's songs always sound like they're about hand jobs?

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is some funk-Mackenzie Rhythm Section-disclosure my son is the Bass player
Not bad. Needs to be a little tighter, but not bad. The ties are nice touch.

Lest we equate soul and funk with harder-edged material, I like the sweeter stuff too. This one was the regular go-to-commercial music on Letterman for a long time.
Soul can be hopeful and moving.
Or sweet and sad.
Or angry.

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
There was a whole funk and soul subculture in Toronto in the mid to late 60s . Bands like Mandela, Shawn and Jay Jackson and the Majestics, Little Jackie Shane, Grant Smith and the Power, Motherlode, etc. The band I was i played several R&B, soul and funk tunes. Soul Finger was one of the songs we played - one of the half dozen ones I played alto sax on (have not seriously played one in over 45 years)

If you want funk from the 60s...........

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
More JB in the 60s

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
From 1965-68. Then a shorter lived blues band in 1969. We all got instruments for Xmas64 because of 4 guys from Liverpool. Only one of us knew how to play - and that was only three cord progressions. Thing is, we all clicked. We were tight and had a good front man. Played our first gig after only 8 months. In 1967 we split with the frontman and got another guy who was more of a soul singer, a really good one. After a year, things got less enjoyable and we disbanded. Year latter tried a blues band, played a few gigs, but differences lead that band dissolving. Went to university later than year, but couldn't find anyone musical to click with. That was it for my performing career.

High point was two weekends at the Myna Byrd in Yorkville, October 1966. Great time. Owner liked us, but parents and a couple of girlfriends rebelled. A threat to lose our practice space stopped that from ever happening again. Things never quite seemed the same after that. We were all 16 at the time.

You have never mentioned that you were in a band! Tell us more..PLEASE.
Start a new thread if you don't want to hijack this one.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts