The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would become a Strat guy. I was a shred fan through my teens , 20s, and 30s. Now I find myself being a Strat straight into my amp kinda guy. I currently have an xotic hss and a silver sky.
looking for recommendations. Bonus points for smaller Canadian-builders.
What brands should I check out??
Thanks!
Eric

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I'm primarily an S style player. I've got a Suhr Classic, a vintage style strat from a small Canadian builder, and now an Xotic XSC-1.

I haven't owned the Xotic long enough to truly put it through its paces, but it's certainly a work of art. Also very impressed with how balanced it is in each position.

The Suhr takes wins the award for overall quality of design and manufacturing. Definitely more modern feeling than the other two, but still feels like a strat. I've yet to find a guitar that can hang with it in terms of playability, intonation, tuning stability, etc.

The 60s esque strat I have gives me that old school fender vibe.. A little bit of a sharper edge, and fatter neck that feels awesome if you are a thumb over the top player you'd love it. It also is the finest sounding "strat" I've ever come across. It definitely inspires me in a different way than the others.

For me, double cutaways are my home base. I will be a S player for life.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brown Bear in Kitchener has a very good price on a very red Strat on Reverb right now. He makes some very classy guitars.
I will have to check it out! Thanks 😊
I'm primarily an S style player. I've got a Suhr Classic, a vintage style strat from a small Canadian builder, and now an Xotic XSC-1.

I haven't owned the Xotic long enough to truly put it through its paces, but it's certainly a work of art. Also very impressed with how balanced it is in each position.

The Suhr takes wins the award for overall quality of design and manufacturing. Definitely more modern feeling than the other two, but still feels like a strat. I've yet to find a guitar that can hang with it in terms of playability, intonation, tuning stability, etc.

The 60s esque strat I have gives me that old school fender vibe.. A little bit of a sharper edge, and fatter neck that feels awesome if you are a thumb over the top player you'd love it. It also is the finest sounding "strat" I've ever come across. It definitely inspires me in a different way than the others.

For me, double cutaways are my home base. I will be a S player for life.

I had a Suhr for about a week. The relic job was very heavy, and the case smelt of smoke. I couldn’t get into it. I want to try one with a light relic. I think then it would be a keeper. What pickups are in your Suhr? Mine had Michael landau. My xotic has 60s style

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I will have to check it out! Thanks

I had a Suhr for about a week. The relic job was very heavy, and the case smelt of smoke. I couldn’t get into it. I want to try one with a light relic. I think then it would be a keeper. What pickups are in your Suhr? Mine had Michael landau. My xotic has 60s style
Did you have one of the colour on colour antiques?

I definitely dig the aesthetics of an aged nitro finish, but don't really care from a sonic perspective. I personally prefer the classic (vs classic antique) as they have a satin finish on the neck, and more aggressive rolling of the fingerboard edges. Finish wise, the classic is super thin, but durable. I have the regular V60s in mine, which don't have the rolled off high end like the V60LPs.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
My Xotic (also has the 60s raw vintage pickups) is overall a darker, woodier tone than the Suhr. With V60LPs, they would likely be pretty damn close.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you have one of the colour on colour antiques?

I definitely dig the aesthetics of an aged nitro finish, but don't really care from a sonic perspective. I personally prefer the classic (vs classic antique) as they have a satin finish on the neck, and more aggressive rolling of the fingerboard edges. Finish wise, the classic is super thin, but durable. I have the regular V60s in mine, which don't have the rolled off high end like the V60LPs.

I had a white classic antique. I think it was just since it was white just seemed dirty also the neck was a 7.5 to 9.5 radius. Sounded great though!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have owned quite a few s-styles and I think Oswald guitars makes one hell of a fine instrument. Fully customizable to whatever you want and everything is done by hand... so, bonus points if you like that aspect too. I just placed an order for my third guitar from him and it should arrive in the next few months.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have owned quite a few s-styles and I think Oswald guitars makes one hell of a fine instrument. Fully customizable to whatever you want and everything is done by hand... so, bonus points if you like that aspect too. I just placed an order for my third guitar from him and it should arrive in the next few months.

View attachment 374425
That’s stunning is it a p90 in the bridge?

·
Registered
102 Posts
That’s stunning is it a p90 in the bridge?
You betcha, something a little different. I am going to throw a mini humbucker in there at some point. I just wanted something a little different than normal. It is as good or better than many of the higher end american fenders, custom shops, or suhrs that I have handled.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You betcha, something a little different. I am going to throw a mini humbucker in there at some point. I just wanted something a little different than normal. It is as good or better than many of the higher end american fenders, custom shops, or suhrs that I have handled.
Amazing for sure going to look more into these guitars. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Favourite? Probably my modded EJ strat. Lots of hours on it.

My other two go-to strat-style guitars are a stock Ibanez AZ 242BC and a modded EBMM Silhouette Special. My AZ was a milestone birthday guitar. My Silo is a weird mongrel guitar with lots of character.

I think G&L Legacy's are pretty sweet too. I don't own one, but I do like them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Kelley Guitar Works is one guy and a wood shop in CA...I have a one piece mahogany S picked up from Alex here on GC which is stellar in feel and tone...both neck and body are roasted before a lovely nitro finish and Landau pickups to ice this cake.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts