The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m asking you a question I was asked the other night . “ what is your favourite I know it might sound weird but I’d have to say cbs era fender .
There was a lot of different things that happened during the cbs days. The came out with the bronco , pro reverb , my personal favourite tele models . The tele custom and thinline tele . I like how cbs stepped out of a rut the company was in. Mind you there really wasn’t anything bad with the wAy things were . I like the models like the thinline and custom telecaster ,starcaster , coronado 1 ,coronado2 and pro reverb. O and that freakin cool large 70s strat heads stock . And the fact fender has a small powered 2x12 amp to compete against the vox ac30 I think is cool. I don’t know why so many people bash the cbs era fender. I’ve never played an pre cbs fender before but I have played an 73 telecaster custom and it floored me . What fender did with Seth lover is just so cool it was so full sounding but yet so clear with that single coil twang. I absolutely fell in love the guitar . It was the only guitar buddy wouldn’t do payments on and at $1300 cad I knew it wouldn’t stay long . It really was the best sounding guitar I’ve played . The nicest playing was a 78 gibson lesPaul custom. So what is your favourite era of fender ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I would say none. I never was a fan of Fender guitars but I've always liked a number of their amps. Give me a Traynor or Fender amp and I'll be happy.

P

·
0 Posts
Pre CBS. Blackface. CBS suits were so cheap they cut the bolt on neck screws from 4 to 3 to save the cost of 1 screw.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
^^ Just came in to post this, 2008-2009 were HUUUGE turnaround years for Fender. Stuff from then is almost universally great.

I mean, who doesn't love a blocked and bound '75 Jazz bass or a pre-CBS Strat, or a 50's Tele? But obtainable for the average Joe, would take it on stage without fear of catastrophe, I'll take my '09 every time and it looks and plays outstanding.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
For me any era is okey. I am not a fan of the 70's Fender guitars as i owned a few of them and did not like them but that was a long time ago

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I have actually been quite impressed with the new American Professional stuff. If I had to pick, though, I’d say the mid-60s stuff, right before CBS, strikes me as really cool.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Pre CBS. Blackface. CBS suits were so cheap they cut the bolt on neck screws from 4 to 3 to save the cost of 1 screw.
Actually the three bolt system had nothing to do with saving the cost of one screw. It was all to accommodate the new micro tilt neck system they introduced at the time.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
My Fender amps are all CBS era; a blackface Twin (summer '65) a '76 SFDR, and a '78 Champ. I have a late seventies Princeton Reverb coming soon, too. The silverface era is an excellent choice for the gigging musician. If I had tons of money I'd be playing L series Teles and brownface amps, but that'll come in time.

To answer the question in regards to guitars, my favourite era would be the 50s.

W.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
50s. Handmade craftsmanship, original designs, big fat necks with 7.25" radius boards.
I love the fat profile of a 50s tele but I don’t like the 7.25” radius. Just as I love the 70s profile baseball neck on the Gibson lesPaul custom but a 12” radius is a tab to wide for me hands lol. It’s hard to stretch my fingers so I’m going with a 70s gibson profile on 10” radius neck for my thinline tele build.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Like the OP I'm also a sucker for a big headstock, but I would probably have to say '59-'63 as that's when they produced slab board Strats & Teles (both blonde & double-bound Customs), tweed, blonde & brown amps. I'm lucky enough to have 3 classic Fender amps and prefer the tweed Tremolux & brown Princeton over the BF Vibrolux (it can sound a little too "sterile" at times).

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm a sucky player...any era Fender works just fine for me..
The only keeper guitar in my small herd is a late 80's MIJ Fender Tele..
-a guitar that sounds good unplugged and amped.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I really liked that era in the mid 80s when they didn't have an operational plant in the U.S. and were making a lot of guitars in Japan. I played an '86 Fender Contemporary Strat a couple of years ago in a local music store, but sadly didn't have enough cash at the time to pull the trigger. I was completely impressed with the quality and sonic temperament of that guitar and have been searching everywhere for one since. The trem system on this thing was outstanding - I really wish they would do a reissue of these. Probably not likely with their ownership of Charvel.....

Aside from that, I quite liked the mid 90s MIJ stuff, as well as the early 2000s MIJ stuff.....I'm starting to see a trend here......

I also like the stuff currently coming out of Mexico. I've been thoroughly impressed with the sound, quality and price-point on those guitars. It's amazing that these can be picked up on kijiji around the $500 mark regularly.....

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
'50s for the vibe, mojo, individuality.

Current for the precision manufacturing, ease of modification, uniform feel, general quality.
I love the fat profile of a 50s tele but I don’t like the 7.25” radius. Just as I love the 70s profile baseball neck on the Gibson lesPaul custom but a 12” radius is a tab to wide for me hands lol. It’s hard to stretch my fingers so I’m going with a 70s gibson profile on 10” radius neck for my thinline tele build.

I agree with you guys 100%

I love the old stuff, the 50s style is my favorite look.

But I absolutely love the stuff that fender is doing right now.
The pawn shop series is right up my alley.

My favorite guitar is my 2005 baja tele mutt, thick soft v neck with a 9 1/2" radius.

Nathan

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
My Fender amps are all CBS era; a blackface Twin (summer '65) a '76 SFDR, and a '78 Champ. I have a late seventies Princeton Reverb coming soon, too. The silverface era is an excellent choice for the gigging musician. If I had tons of money I'd be playing L series Teles and brownface amps, but that'll come in time.

To answer the question in regards to guitars, my favourite era would be the 50s.

W.
I love Silverface amps. I'd take a 68 drip edge over a blackface any day. I much prefer the aesthetic of the SF era.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts