The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just riffing (pun intended) on the thread from the electric guitar sub-forum.

What’s the most tonally diverse acoustic guitar you’ve played?

Doesn’t have to be owned by you, just experienced.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
For me tonal diversity is probably the last thing I need in an acoustic guitar; I’m more concerned with how they hook up with my voice and since I’m a hill billy singer tonal sophistication ain’t gonna help none .. lol

The three mains that I have:

Martin HD28V. Not much diversity. Heavy on bass and can be muddy with the wrong strings but when its on it’s a canon and gets right under my voice.

Martin HD35 Custom Shop. Great guitar and no where near as bass heavy as the 28V. Sounds like a grand piano but ain’t my go too for vocal. Still trying to find the right strings for it.

Martin 2012 D18. Great all rounder, hooks with my voice and sounds good through a shitty house PA in some shitty bar.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I would say 1965 Gibson Lg-0 (thick ladder-braced top made with Mahogany rejects) and 2014 Martin OOO-18 : a harsh barking beast against a singing angel !

Add on : I realize I did not understand the question... oops !

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I suppose it would be the one with the most frets :D Seriously, I'm not sure we get alot out of the acoustic guitar by design. it's more out attack of the strings. I suppose one of my flamenco guitars might be the one.

my new 12 string does, but that's more because I cant tune it quite right yet and every day I get new tones out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
For me tonal diversity is probably the last thing I need in an acoustic guitar; I’m more concerned with how they hook up with my voice and since I’m a hill billy singer tonal sophistication ain’t gonna help none .. lol

The three mains that I have:

Martin HD28V. Not much diversity. Heavy on bass and can be muddy with the wrong strings but when its on it’s a canon and gets right under my voice.

Martin HD35 Custom Shop. Great guitar and no where near as bass heavy as the 28V. Sounds like a grand piano but ain’t my go too for vocal. Still trying to find the right strings for it.

Martin 2012 D18. Great all rounder, hooks with my voice and sounds good through a shitty house PA in some shitty bar.
I'm with Wardo on this, although Gibson J45/J50s are my weapon of choice.

·
Premium Member
10,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As much as I love a good cedar, koa, or mahogany top acoustic, I still consider spruce to have a bit more variance in tone when picked at different distances from the bridge, and when utilizing volume dynamics. I admit this is difficult to gauge as every, even comparatively identical, guitar is acoustically different in some way. There are exceptions that have surprised me.

Once upon a time I didn't consider anything other than spruce and rosewood (and dreadnought) in an acoustic, but over the years I came to embrace non-dread shapes and other woods. Today, for the one most versatile guitar I'd likely choose a 00 or 000 shape in spruce and mahogany. Luckily, I don't have to choose just one, and I only have one dread anymore and it's an all solid mahogany Seagull, quite different than my idea of the most tonally diverse guitar, though killer in its own right.

Out of my current guitars, the spruce/rosewood and a spruce/padauk guitars would be my choices for most tonally diverse. I can't post a picture as they're in semi-storage, I'm painting my music space this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts