The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electronics Audio equipment Loudspeaker Subwoofer Technology

I put a pair of WGS Retro 30's in my Roadster Combo a couple of weeks ago. Very quickly the speakers seemed to settle in and sound exactly how I'd always wanted the V30's to sound.

So I ordered a quad of Retro 30's from NextGenGuitars.ca for my Deliverance 4x12. The stock P50E's sound amazing with my Fryette amp, but "meh" with anything else I own (I think they're designed for a much higher-Gain style than mine,) and I really want a do-everything Rock 'n' Roll cab, so out they went and in went the WGS.

Awesome! Again it only took an hour or two for the Retros to break in enough for me to like them a lot. I was worried they might be too bass-y in there, but they're not - everything's just right. I can dial in as much bass as I can stomach without it becoming boxy or boomy, and the highs are just right (which is why I didn't go with the Veteran 30's - a bit too dull for my old ears) where I can still use my Presence knob to good effect even with my Treble set low (which is a super important feature for me.)

Now my Deliverance cab is a total Rock machine! Equally good with my Fryette, Rivera, and Mesa. Better Cleans than the P50E's.

Now I'm off to break them in even more!

·
Premium Member
18,701 Posts
Wgs makes good stuff.

I remember when VHT was in vogue, oh how time flies.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Always wanted to try out a fryette/VHT

Are the retro30's the greenbacks? Ive thought about getting a cab with some

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always wanted to try out a fryette/VHT

Are the retro30's the greenbacks? Ive thought about getting a cab with some
The Retros are a V30 derivative. The Veteran 30 was WGS's first shot at a "V30 without the spike," but to my ears it took too much of the high end out. The Retro 30 sounds very close to a V30 in every way except the "spike" is gone.

And , yeah, my Fryette gear is amazing. The 4x12 cab is the best constructed cab I've ever seen, and my Memphis is a gem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts