The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday, April 14, noon to six.

Once again hosted at Sound and Soul Studios in Squamish, BC. It's an hour drive north of Vancouver. Looking forward to putting some faces to some forum handles. All levels of players are welcome. Bring your gear or use some of the spare gear that will be available.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where about's in squamish is it
Sound & Soul Studios
208-39012 Discovery Way
Squamish, BC
V8B 0E5
Office: 604 892 7400

Turn left off the highway at the Tim Hortons/Wendys. Take the first right on Discovery Way. It's about half a block on the right in a building called Sealink. It's upstairs on the second floor. You need a key for the elevator so take the stairs at the end pf the building. If you need the elevator to bring up gear we will have a key.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wish I was there at this time. I will be in Squamish for three weeks in late May/early June.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I was there at this time. I will be in Squamish for three weeks in late May/early June.
Feel free to ping me when you're here. There is a bar jam every Thursday or you can just come and jam with me. If nothing else we can go for a coffee or beer.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Thanks Kerry. I will definitely take you up on that. I was just there for three weeks, but family commitments kept me away from booze and frivolity (mostly);)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Kerry
I'm interested in your West Coast Jam! Is this for acoustics?

Although I own a few Larrivee acoustics I'm actually an upright bassist. Any call for upright at these jams? I've played pro since the early '70s and probably can handle most of what anybody thows at me tune wise. I can play amplified (usually if a drummer is there) or totally acoustic. Some guitarists I play with are Michael Dunn, Al Wiebe, Don Ogilvie, and Ron Thompson. Don and I have gigged together since '72. We do about 75 gigs a year, but I'm free April 14th.

My upright is handmade with Reid Hudson Vancouver Island wood and is a copy of a 250 year old Italian bass. Might be interesting to anyone who digs a handmade instrument. I also play electric bass of course and have a number of old ones, fretted and fretless, but just not interested in bringing one if it's an acoustic jam.

Anyways, I love acoustic music and guitars and would dig jamming with my upright. Would it fit in?

Cheers
Casey

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I vote for upright bass! But I can't go now. Got tickets to Peter Frampton and some guy named Steve Miller that night. I'll try to make the next one.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Kerry
I'm interested in your West Coast Jam! Is this for acoustics?

Although I own a few Larrivee acoustics I'm actually an upright bassist. Any call for upright at these jams? I've played pro since the early '70s and probably can handle most of what anybody thows at me tune wise. I can play amplified (usually if a drummer is there) or totally acoustic. Some guitarists I play with are Michael Dunn, Al Wiebe, Don Ogilvie, and Ron Thompson. Don and I have gigged together since '72. We do about 75 gigs a year, but I'm free April 14th.

My upright is handmade with Reid Hudson Vancouver Island wood and is a copy of a 250 year old Italian bass. Might be interesting to anyone who digs a handmade instrument. I also play electric bass of course and have a number of old ones, fretted and fretless, but just not interested in bringing one if it's an acoustic jam.

Anyways, I love acoustic music and guitars and would dig jamming with my upright. Would it fit in?

Cheers
Casey
I played last night in an acoustic jam with an upright bass player. The bass really complimented the guitars. Most of the players at the West Coast Jam are electric but I always have at least one acoustic with me. Can you plug the bass into a PA? We'll have a couple of DI boxes available. We could also mike it if need be. We can also definitely have an acoustic only set. We were short of bass players so I ended up trying to play bass for while last time. I'm definitely not a bass player. I just stick to the root and fifth. Please feel welcome to come with whatever instruments you like.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next Saturday. I'm getting excited. We are looking for bass players and drummers. I have a couple lined up but they are notoriously unreliable :)

Looking forward to trying my new to me Deluxe Roadhouse Strat at volume. The Texas Specials sound great at practice levels.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

If you were to reschedule in early June I will be in town and would love to attend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts