The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now I have been dreaming about, planning, and blathering on about attending Summer NAMM in Nashville later this month. Been wanting to attend for years. So, I go on the show site, and see I'm supposed to register. I proceed through the screens checking off stuff, give them my Visa number so they can ding me the $25 registration fee . Then yesterday I get a note saying that my application had been rejected because I'm not affiliated with a business. So I write back asking for clarification. Maybe formal registrants get the benefit of big badges, and their contact information and affiliation added to something provided to registrants as a service, but regular mortals can still walk around and see all the cool stuff and talk to people. Nope. You MUST be registered to enter the hall.

> Badges are required for entry onto the show floor on all show days.
> In addition to this, we also have our Make Music Experience event
> happening at Summer NAMM on Saturday, June 30. These attendees are
> required to wear their Make Music Experience wristband, purchased either
> online in advance or onsite. It's possible that the group you are
> describing in your email below are Make Music Experience attendees.
>
> To purchase a pass for Make Music Experience online, please click here:
> h ttps://www.namm.org/summer/2018/make-music-experience

I'm gonna have to see if one of my industry buddies will let me piggyback on their business. I'm not driving two days there and two days backfor the sake of one day. I'm just wondering how the hell all those doofuses who shoot videos at all the booths to review stuff get in.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
My understanding with NAMM has always been you need to be a legit manufacturer, vendor, dealer, endorser, etc to get in, with no exceptions.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
i hope you get things worked out. i know you'd find something there to post about in here. then it's almost as if i got to go too.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Always been that way. Phil McKnight was giving away a couple passes a few hours ago. Probably long gone.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
This is another good reason to maintain a good relationship with a local mom and pop (or mom and mom, pop and pop....) business. Often they neither have the cash to go, or the ability to take time off. Ask if you can go on their business name, and offer to give them a show run down when you get back.

win/win

·
Premium Member
4,952 Posts
For months now I have been dreaming about, planning, and blathering on about attending Summer NAMM in Nashville later this month. Been wanting to attend for years. So, I go on the show site, and see I'm supposed to register. I proceed through the screens checking off stuff, give them my Visa number so they can ding me the $25 registration fee . Then yesterday I get a note saying that my application had been rejected because I'm not affiliated with a business. So I write back asking for clarification. Maybe formal registrants get the benefit of big badges, and their contact information and affiliation added to something provided to registrants as a service, but regular mortals can still walk around and see all the cool stuff and talk to people. Nope. You MUST be registered to enter the hall.

> Badges are required for entry onto the show floor on all show days.
> In addition to this, we also have our Make Music Experience event
> happening at Summer NAMM on Saturday, June 30. These attendees are
> required to wear their Make Music Experience wristband, purchased either
> online in advance or onsite. It's possible that the group you are
> describing in your email below are Make Music Experience attendees.
>
> To purchase a pass for Make Music Experience online, please click here:
> h ttps://www.namm.org/summer/2018/make-music-experience

I'm gonna have to see if one of my industry buddies will let me piggyback on their business. I'm not driving two days there and two days backfor the sake of one day. I'm just wondering how the hell all those doofuses who shoot videos at all the booths to review stuff get in.
You make pedals. Sounds like a business to me.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Always been that way. Phil McKnight was giving away a couple passes a few hours ago. Probably long gone.
Yep, it was that way back to 1980/1981 when I was in the MI/SR business (at the retail level). As I left retail to pursue electronics, I wanted to keep my fingers in the SR business (which I did go back into for a short period after post-secondary education) so I invented a company, made myself president and subscribed to the trade mags I wanted. They want to ship magazines - keeping the riff-raff out seemed secondary. I could have probably used those credentials to get into NAMM or NSCA, by the looks of the crowds at winter NAMM.

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I picked up a box of business cards from Jon, discussed who he'd like me to collect cards from and hand his cards out to (Collect them all! Trade them with your friends!!). And when I come home, I see this message. They really don't make it easy.:

Dear Mark Hammer,

Thank you for your interest in attending 2018 Summer NAMM.

Your request for a Non Member badge has been denied because your company qualifies for NAMM membership. We invite your company to apply online at www.namm.org/membership/join. Please note that the NAMM Membership Team will be in touch with you soon. For further questions about applying for NAMM membership, please contact the NAMM Membership Department at (760) 438-8001 or [email protected].

If you feel we have made an error in reviewing your request for a non-member badge, please email us at [email protected]. This status cannot be reversed once we are on-site at the show so please contact us as soon as possible.

Please note: the credit card you provided with your registration request will not be charged. If you have any questions, contact [email protected].

Sincerely,
NAMM Show Management

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I thought you were the Canadian mfr. for "Hammertone" products.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts