The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a little double amp playing just now. Garnet Mach V on the right, Vox Ac10 on the left. Reverb from the Vox, Tremolo from the Garnet. Such complimentary amps in terms of their sonic territory. I tried to keep it down, really I did!!

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
302 Posts
I'm semi-tempted to plug my Pete T. SG Special in and crank up my old Sunn Solarus just to remind me what serious ringing is all about. But I won't, I’m getting too old for that kind of fun. I enjoy still being able to hear birds singing when I go for a walk in the woods. ;-)

Better stick with the 1974X 18-watter.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,952 Posts
The last serious ear ringer that I had was a few years ago from a jam in a small place with drums and loud keyboards and the whole riff. I was a bit concerned about it not going away but it did and I figured best get some ear pigs and not do that kinda stuff again.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I luuuuv my AC10.
Me too. I’ve been having some fun plugging it into a 212 cab with greenbacks. Seriously good and seriously loud that way. Plenty loud with the built in speaker, is my go to grab and go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Best money you can invest in are dB blockers. They are moulded earplugs that muffle sound super well but somehow leave it nice and clear. I wear them at work and in my car because a 100 dB stereo only sounds good when it's loud, but loud only sounds good when you can hear.

Unfortunately at home my ampage is lacking and they are not required.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best money you can invest in are dB blockers. They are moulded earplugs that muffle sound super well but somehow leave it nice and clear. I wear them at work and in my car because a 100 dB stereo only sounds good when it's loud, but loud only sounds good when you can hear.

Unfortunately at home my ampage is lacking and they are not required.
Part of my issue at home is that my “studio” is a 12 x 8 windowless basement storage room. It is finished, but the sound bounces around in a way that it did not when I had my studio in my garage at my old house.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hopefully your ringing subsides, @mrmatt1972, rather than being an initiation to the tinnitus club -- I have a lifetime membership, even if I quit paying dues... If I only knew then what tinnitus is like, I would have been a lot more careful re: volume and ear protection!!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully your ringing subsides, @mrmatt1972, rather than being an initiation to the tinnitus club -- I have a lifetime membership, even if I quit paying dues... If I only knew then what tinnitus is like, I would have been a lot more careful re: volume and ear protection!!
I’m usually not loud enough to cause any damage. I’ve lost some hearing over the years (I’m almost 50) so I’m cautious. Also, I’ve really come to the conclusion that playing at a reasonable volume with your friends/band is far more fun than volume wars.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Mine was 7 years ago. A young lad who apprenticed under me called me up one day and asked me to play bass in his metal band. I laughed and said I don't know any metal songs; I'm a blues and classic rock player. He said you're a good musician, you'll figure it out. So I went to a rehearsal. They were playing in the young lad's basement. In that small room were 3 guitarists using half stacks, a singer and the heaviest handed drummer I've ever played with in my life. I brought my own bass and they gave me a Traynor stack to use for that rehearsal. Their previous bassist had not yet come to get his amp. My spot in the room was beside the drummer and I swear to God, every time he hit those skins I wondered how the stick didn't go right through. The 3 guitarists were all playing with their amps dimed. I had to stop playing after about 45 minutes. I was feeling ill in my stomach from the SPL pounding my chest. I went home and my ears were ringing for 2 days. I called him up and told him I wouldn't be playing with them again. About a year later I decided to sell my own half stack and got a mini-stack instead. (112 combo + 112 ext cab) It wasn't because of the weight like the reason most guys sell big rigs. It was because I wanted to keep my sense of hearing.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,565 Posts
Many times it's the ultrasonics that cause tinnitus, the unnoticed culprit, like CO for smell.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Hey can we include concerts? If so it was 2015 at an ACDC concert. Right up front. About 20 feet away from stage. It was LOUD!! I could feel the buzz in my ears as soon as we left the venue!

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
Hey can we include concerts? If so it was 2015 at an ACDC concert. Right up front. About 20 feet away from stage. It was LOUD!! I could feel the buzz in my ears as soon as we left the venue!
i think the loudest show i ever saw was the scorpions at the ac. klause was on his game, even though he's 912 yrs old by now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts