The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I love it! I joined the folk group at our local RC Church and I just did my first Mass. I had a blast! I used my son's Squier Affinity J-Bass (an excellent bass, BTW) and I ran it through my SS guitar amp. It sounded a little farty but not too noticeable. Now I'll have to get myself my own bass and bass amp, I'm checking out eBay for Squier Affinity P-basses, will be probably be picking one up soon.

Other than the occasional screw-up I thought I did pretty good. I once read somewhere that when you hit the occasional clams then just continue on and act like it never happened. So that's what I did and it all worked out for the best.:smile:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
squiers are good reasonable guitars/basses, but they have almost no re-sale value. i have a standard squier jazz bass, and i strongly recommend it over the affinity series. better quality and better (although still quite poor) re-sale value

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
or you could check out Agile...

or Yamaha

I always thought those Fender basses looked gross, and I would much rather have something styled differently, but thats just my personal opinion.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMRBX170

I have that in black and it plays and sounds great.

cheap as a squier, but better! :)

or if you have a bit more money:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMRBX374

and since you are in the US...check out Agile basses and guitars at rondomusic

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

For that price, that looks mighty fine I would say.

seriously looks like a 2500$ exotic wood bass

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
And I love it! I joined the folk group at our local RC Church and I just did my first Mass. I had a blast! I used my son's Squier Affinity J-Bass (an excellent bass, BTW) and I ran it through my SS guitar amp. It sounded a little farty but not too noticeable. Now I'll have to get myself my own bass and bass amp, I'm checking out eBay for Squier Affinity P-basses, will be probably be picking one up soon.

Other than the occasional screw-up I thought I did pretty good. I once read somewhere that when you hit the occasional clams then just continue on and act like it never happened. So that's what I did and it all worked out for the best.:smile:
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned it yet but you may want to consider not using a guitar amplifier to play bass through. Not especially good for the speaker as they are not meant to handle such low frequencies. That would be the first thing I'd look into buying.
Also, one thing I've learned after owning more than 20 guitars and basses is to invest in as good a quality of equipment as resources allow. Try out many brands in your price range before settling on anything. Many times I've bought guitars thinking they were perfectly fine until I tried something else that made the first one seem less fine.
Another thing, while a higher price doesn't necessarily denote better quality I believe it's a fair generalization to say a $500 bass will be better than a $250 bass but not as good as a $1000 bass with a lot of potential grey area in between (same goes for amps). This is where doing your homework helps alot. It's like buying shoes, you can try a lot of the same size, most will fit but only a few will feel "just right". Besides, it's just damn fun to go shopping for gear!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Look into the Squier Vintage Modified series of basses. They are great basses for the $$ and sound great. I personally love the Precision model. The Jazz models are also well done and sound pretty authentic. They use Duncan Designed pickups, which give them a good level of clarity at that price range.

For bass amps you have several good choices: Peavey, Fender, and Yorkville. You will probably want at least 100 watts, not necessarily for power in that type of gig, but because the extra head room will give you a cleaner, stronger sound, even at the low volumes. Yorkville is like a Canadian sleeper in many ways, great sound and awesome warranty (see their web site about that). The Peavey Max series is really good and you could also find the Combo115 used for a great price. It's a little big, but if you add casters it won't be that big of a deal.

Welcome to the Low End and good luck! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome to the Low End. :food-smiley-004:

You definitely need to invest in a bass amp. Using a guitar amp is no good for anything other than bedroom rehearsal. If it has to be one or the other for now, invest in a nice combo and keep borrowing your son's bass.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with all that went before me. I have to agree on the Yamaha RBX series basses. Yamaha does not make a "dog" in any price range. Even their RBX 170 is a superbly-made instrument for just over $200 retail. I bought a used and mint RBX270J for $200 from an ad in Craiglist. Look in the classified ad sites such as Craiglist, Buy $ Sell and Kijiji for you area and you will always find basses and like-new amps listed.

Here is a current bass and amp sale example in Calgary buysell: http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/...967981/YAMAHA_BB300_BASS_BLACK_with_50_W.aspx

·
Registered
10 Posts
The eternal gear question

The eternal gear question...

It's much easier in 2007 for bassists who have always suffered with underpowered/undertoned gear. (unless they dragged around huge ampegs and chiropractor bills, not to mention pain)

I have to disagree, Although people use this stuff, 'Peavey, Fender & Yorkville' are kinda like 'Ford Tempo' in the amp world for serious bassists....Hey it works and makes noise......so does a tractor...so does a snowblower.

The new gear for bassists/musicians/pa's in 2007 is astounding in quality, tone , reliability and clean power.!! Man if we had this stuff 20-30 years ago!!!

100 watts is for kids starting out at home & Jazz Players (bless them).There is no headroom at 100 watts except for playing to your stereo,,,(or you know, jazz guys)

Bass frequencies ie:serious speakers to reproduce them need serious power to make those long wavelengths with some tone left and not just fart.. The big dogs don't use 100 watts live except for coffee house volume.

Do yourself a favour and get a serious solid state power amp..Crown xl602D or something of that quality/power and a serious TUBE preamp (and hey you DON'T NEED A 'BASS' PREAMP COSTING 600 ++ BUCKS..).. Get a serious onboard preamp like an Audere and you will be blown away by the big tone and big power/headroom and reliability for the whole system...small and lightweight too...and for way less than the 'BIG BOYS' - 'BIG PRICE' bass rigs.....

and..you do need a GOOD speaker cabinet, Don't screw around saving money/penny pinching/trying shit and/or making the big guys rich doing that..Buy a Schroeder cab and forget about ever wanting/needing to buy another cab.

And yes, Yamaha basses are usually good instruments, well built although not always tonealicious with their pickups and electronics....nothing a good preamp and some dimarzio dp123's won't fix...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The eternal gear question...

It's much easier in 2007 for bassists who have always suffered with underpowered/undertoned gear. (unless they dragged around huge ampegs and chiropractor bills, not to mention pain)

I have to disagree, Although people use this stuff, 'Peavey, Fender & Yorkville' are kinda like 'Ford Tempo' in the amp world for serious bassists....Hey it works and makes noise......so does a tractor...so does a snowblower.

The new gear for bassists/musicians/pa's in 2007 is astounding in quality, tone , reliability and clean power.!! Man if we had this stuff 20-30 years ago!!!

100 watts is for kids starting out at home & Jazz Players (bless them).There is no headroom at 100 watts except for playing to your stereo,,,(or you know, jazz guys)

Bass frequencies ie:serious speakers to reproduce them need serious power to make those long wavelengths with some tone left and not just fart.. The big dogs don't use 100 watts live except for coffee house volume.

Do yourself a favour and get a serious solid state power amp..Crown xl602D or something of that quality/power and a serious TUBE preamp (and hey you DON'T NEED A 'BASS' PREAMP COSTING 600 ++ BUCKS..).. Get a serious onboard preamp like an Audere and you will be blown away by the big tone and big power/headroom and reliability for the whole system...small and lightweight too...and for way less than the 'BIG BOYS' - 'BIG PRICE' bass rigs.....

and..you do need a GOOD speaker cabinet, Don't screw around saving money/penny pinching/trying shit and/or making the big guys rich doing that..Buy a Schroeder cab and forget about ever wanting/needing to buy another cab.

And yes, Yamaha basses are usually good instruments, well built although not always tonealicious with their pickups and electronics....nothing a good preamp and some dimarzio dp123's won't fix...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Peavey, Yorkie and Fender gear. All 3 make very serious gear that is miles better than their stuff was 20 years ago.
I can appreciate you like Shroeder cabs, but they are not the be all and end all for everyone. The best gear is the gear you like, can afford, gets the tone you hear in your head as "your tone" and inspires you to keep playing and getting better. The best cabinet I ever played was a Yorkie 8x8, but I just couldn't deal with a large cab. One of the most uninspiring amps I ever used was an Eden. To each his own, and you never know until you try.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Peavey, Yorkie and Fender gear. All 3 make very serious gear that is miles better than their stuff was 20 years ago.
I can appreciate you like Shroeder cabs, but they are not the be all and end all for everyone. The best gear is the gear you like, can afford, gets the tone you hear in your head as "your tone" and inspires you to keep playing and getting better. The best cabinet I ever played was a Yorkie 8x8, but I just couldn't deal with a large cab. One of the most uninspiring amps I ever used was an Eden. To each his own, and you never know until you try.
James, I am with you on both the Yorkville (Traynor) Cabinets and the overpriced and uninspiring nature of Eden cabinets.

I recently tested a bunch of Traynor cabinets through an Ampeg VST3PRO and I was astounded how well they sounded. However, I am still an Ampeg guy so I did not hand over my credit card. However, it was close!

To be honest we are trying to help Statovani get started with some advice on fairly good and affordable gear. I agree that he should stay away from Squire Basses since it will become a door stop, with no resale value, in the future. Today even low value gear is better than the stuff I started out on in the 1960s. I started out on a Kent bass with a Sears amp! Awful neck on that "club" and horrible sound from that amp!

My advice still sticks. If you are serious about advancing then look for some affordable used gear from good companies and upgrade later. Even renting a bass and amp for a short period is an option. Test drive as many basses as you can in reputable guitar shops. The bass for you is waiting there and you will know it the moment you pick it up and play it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
..That may be true..I gave up on that stuff 20 years ago..once burned, twice shy..or something like that.

Say, I've always wanted to string a bass BEAD but just never got around to it. You're happy with no G?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have to disagree, Although people use this stuff, 'Peavey, Fender & Yorkville' are kinda like 'Ford Tempo' in the amp world for serious bassists....Hey it works and makes noise......so does a tractor...so does a snowblower....
Had an '87 Tempo, best car I ever had, not the prettiest or fastest but all-round reliable and cost-efficient. Like the Peavey combo I had, solid as a tank and never let me down and it had good tone as did *any* Traynor/Yorkville I have owned or used. I would have bought a Yorkville rig recently but there just wasn't any around, so I went Ampeg and will be there a while.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
..That may be true..I gave up on that stuff 20 years ago..once burned, twice shy..or something like that.

Say, I've always wanted to string a bass BEAD but just never got around to it. You're happy with no G?
Fair enough. I had some Peavey gear in the late 80s that I absolutely hated and swore I'd never play that "junk" again. I've had the chance over the last couple of years to play some newer Peavey gear that a friend owns, and try as I might, I can't knock the stuff-it sounds great.

As for the BEAD- I like it. Yes I do miss the G-string sometimes, but I have my P bass for that. After playing 5 or 6 string basses for 20 years, I borrowed a friends P bass and was blown away with the simplicity and the feel of a 4 string neck, hence the reason I made the switch. I know quite a few bass players using the BEAD tuning. Really throws my guitarist for a loop though if he's looking at me to find the key of a song.
I'm looking at a 6 string bass now, and if I add it to the stable, I'm going to re-string my fretless back to EADG and put flats on it.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Mister, that is the most backhanded advice I have ever seen on this forum :mad:

You should differentiate statements made as your individual *opinion* from those made as *fact*.

·
Registered
10 Posts
righteous indignation

[QUOT]Mister, that is the most backhanded advice I have ever seen on this forum :

You should differentiate statements made as your individual *opinion* from those made as *fact*.[/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Hey some people hear subtle, beautiful nuances in the bass spectrum..others hear 'boof boof'..If one likes 'boof boof' . who am I, a 'voice in the internet wilderness' to disagree.? Most reggae is continuous kind of bOOF tone.

Actually some tunes benefit from BOOF BOOF. But in real life, not many.

There's many variables. A surprising lot of equipment just goes BOOF. That 'quote' is the 'cheap shit' and with the advent of the internet we can now actually make an educated guess as to what is not 'cheap old school shit'..

It may not be cheap in $, but the TONE is cheap. BIG Brand Bass Name DOES NOT EQUAL 'fab' TONE..Eden is a good example...

volume is easy..volume with the most tone we can muster ...is not.

There will always be some righteous indignation by some individual to any comment on any forums, anywhere...such is the human race...waste of time on someone's part really, but hey it's nice to have somewhere to state an opinion, and we now have the internet where people can read and judge for themselves the dumb-ass-edness / self-glorification of the writer.

'Backhanded'?...That's righteous indignation if I ever heard it...whew..

In the grand scheme of things, anything said by any human is only an *opinion*. Just a fart in the wind/space time continuam really.

But...., a 'Time-Worn-Educated' opinion by a professional player/ear, and I emphasize EAR, is something to perhaps take a second look at and not just dismiss as QUOTE" the most backhanded advice I have ever seen on this forum" ..END QUOTE..duhhh

hmpph..that's a BIG SELF RIGHTEOUS erroneous statement if ever I heard one....Hopefully no serious searcher of knowledge would be idiot enough to accept that statement as the Gospel according to Luke.

And, lets face it..'different strokes for different folks' is the rule of life, but, the cold hard fact is that 100Watts is only for guitar players who do NOT have to Move a Lot Of Low AIR.

In the real world we have jazz guys (not competing with marshal stacks or whatever), bluegrass guys, some guys just going through the PA with a slick configurable monitor system, maybe some other obscure forms of music, klezmer or something, people who just play in the basement, that could work comfortably with a tonealiscious 100 W system.

For the rest of us that have to move Low Tone-a-Licious grooves at any venue, being heard over drums/guitars/keyboards, some serious gear is in order. In case you haven't figured it out, we have the most important/complicated job in the mix.

100watts is like doing the Indy 500 pace car with a '72 VW bus..Groovy but duhh.

Let's face it, for the most part only the bass player hears the real good stuff out of his gear ,live , the rest of the band hears a poor facsimile.

In 2007 we BASS PLAYERS have the gear!!!!

Perhaps Fender, Yorkville, Peavey etc have some fabulous gear, but I don't have the time, energy, patience or money anymore to dick around with that stuff.

Read between the lines in manufacturer/beginner user bullshit, use your ears and common sense, listen to experience not righteous indignation.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
exactly...go buy a crate 30 watt amp and be done with it. I have one and it will pwn any of your guyses 300-1000 watt amps and leave em in da dust

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's awesome - welcome to bass! :D

Seriously, just get the best amp that you can afford/are willing to spend that will do the job that you need it to do. Anything more is great, but *shrugs* if I could only afford a crate combo, I'd play through it anyway. Not that I have the world's greatest rig or anything...

·
Registered
737 Posts
...............Not that I have the world's greatest rig or anything...
Aw c'mon Jane! You got a great rig and it's expandable. Geezer got everyone beat anyway. :smile:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Aw c'mon Jane! You got a great rig and it's expandable. Geezer got everyone beat anyway. :smile:
lol. It's all good - not like I'm actually using my rig anywhere but home anyways :) It always feels like there's 10-20 more things I want though. I was talking to my dad and telling him I wanted a Gibson LP... he thought I'd have to mortgage my house to purchase one... I had to explain that they're expensive... but not quite as costly as a house - unless I wanted an original '58 or something. Yesterday I mentioned that I'd like a drumkit sometime... he told me I was always going to be broke... and I had to explain again that I only wanted a beginner drumkit and that they weren't as expensive as a house either...

(One day I'm going to get two of those 810 cabs... a least :D)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts