The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a questions I've been playing for about 2 years so I don't really how to fix the problems with my guitar but I am good at figuring out the problems I pretty much by trial and error or help from friends but I have no clue whats causing this one. Sometimes when I play my high E string(a couple other strings to but not as bad) I hear this weird kinda scratchy like noise its hard to explain the more my the face of my guitar is pointing to the sky the more you can hear it .

I have no clue what to do to fix this and I was wondering if anybody else has ever had this problem and knows how to fix it before I braught to a guitar tech cuz the guitar tech from my local shop seems to charge high prices for little ajustments(he charged my friend 20 bucks to lower his pickups)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
thats insane...20$ to lower his pickups...I would do that for free haha

anyway, could it be your string is buzzing against the fretwire?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What kind of guitar do you have ? This noise, is it when you are plugged in? Or do you also hear when unplugged? A little more info might help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can either

A. Read up about setting up a guitar

or

B. Pay a shop $20 - $80 bucks to do it for you

For you problem you will want to check the Truss rod, the action, The nut height, and the frets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a start type guitar I know someone asked about that if that helps anybody please post what you think and if anybody has any other ideas i'd love to hear em and it can hear the sound when its unplugged

And also the listnined to the sound a little bit more and I am pretty sure either two thing are sratching against eachother or something in wiggling around and making the noise.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
$20 to lower pickups lolol it's real hard to turn those screws.

Could be so many things... action could be too low, truss rod could need a tweak, etc.

Get yourself Dan Erlewine's 'Maintenance and Setup of Electric Guitar' and learn how to do it on your own... great video(s).

·
Registered
62 Posts
strum the strings in a way that makes the noise. then try touching various parts of the guitar where buzzing or rattling can occur;

- springs, screws, any mechanical parts that may be loose and vibrating on the bridge
- strings between the nut and the tuners, to check that there's enough downward pressure on the nut
- check if the strings are hitting a fret somewhere when they're not supposed to
- anything else that may be loose and rattling.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Another question, is it only on the open E or does it continue up the fretboard? If it does continue up the neck how far up is affected? Check your tuner keys and make sure tight. This might help narrow it down to either the nut and tuner area, the fretboard or the bridge. Is your neck a maple or rosewood board, I've had some rosewood boards when it gets dry have a scrathchy sound to it, happened to one of my project guitars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the suggestions guys I haven't had time to try them all out yet and to answer your question Pauls the higher to go on the high E the more I can hear it.

I can hear on some other strings but its not very as loud and on the 2 lower strings I can't even hear it at all

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
REMEMBER!!! Only turn the adjuster for the truss rod a small amount at a time. The change in the neck might take a bit of time to be noticeable so yeah be careful, you could wreck your neck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts