The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the 5A40 head amp kit from Weber over the weekend. The covering will be a double-aged tweed with tan dogbone handle, chrome plate and white lettering. As a tribute to Weber, I'm going to name the amp "Teddy." :smile:

The plan is to make a 2 speaker cabinet sporting a couple of appropriate speakers. The question is, which ones??? The speakers offered in a 2x12 configuration for the 5A40 combo kit are the "AlNiCo Blue Dog and Silver Bell"

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_50a.htm#5A40H

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a rather complex build. Good luck and enjoy. Make Ted proud.
A complex build, but it looks like an interesting configuration with added reverb and tremolo settings. I'll try and take my time with this one although that might be tough as I'll be anxious to use it, too.

I got the final Paypal receipt yesterday with the total, $620US which included shipping. That's great, considering the unit was $565 with a $48 upgrade with the double-aged tweed. Lead time is approx. 3 weeks.

I read somewhere on the site the expectation is anywhere between 15-25 hours to completion depending on the skill level. That's not too bad.

I would like to hear anyone elses experience with a Weber build. How did it go? Were any components missing or not working? How did it sound afterward? Did you tweak or mod the amp?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats a good price, I've been gassing over the 5E3x2 for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger yet thinking shipping would be pricey, let us know if any hidden charges come up.
So far, I haven't seen any hidden charges. In fact, I was somewhat surprised to get a bill for only $620, which included the shipping. That's like $7 for shipping the whole enchilada! :bow:

Now, I did notice on the invoice in very small print 10% discount included but I didn't see the breakout of that. So, I'm going to assume that they took $61 dollars off for the 10% discount and added $68 for shipping to make $620. I think the math is right?

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Thank you for linking that site.
I'm seriously thinking about trying out one of those kits. Looks like good clean fun.
I've been messing around with a cruedly built 5F1 copy (and loving it) so time to move up to the next step. I guess a 5E3 would be the next amp I "should" build........but I'd love to jump right into a 5A80 (twin reverb) :smile:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Cool. Keep us in the loop. That model is on my short list for "next build project". That might be a while though. I just acquired 4 70's/80's arcade video machines & a 70's pinball that I'll be working on for the next while. The nerd in me never seems to die... :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found this on the Weber build forum, an email from Ted: :smilie_flagge17:

Tweed

5F1/5C1 Champ
5F2 Princeton
5E3 Deluxe
5F4 Super
5E5/5C5 Pro
5E7 Bandmaster
5E8 Lo Power Twin
5F8 High Power Twin
5F6 Bassman

5A40 Super Reverb in tweed chassis and cabinet
5A80 Twin Reverb in tweed chassis and cabinet

6M40 Super Reverb with Marshall tweaks in tweed type cabinet
6M18 18 watt Marshall
6M36 36 watt Marshall
6M50 50 watt Marshall

6M45 JTM45
6M45P 50 watt Marshall Plexi

5G15 Reverb
5H15 Reverb/Vibrato

Blackface

6A14 Blackface Princeton Reverb
6A20 Deluxe Reverb
6A40 Super Reverb
6A80 Twin Reverb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ted Weber

Ted...RIP my friend, you'll be sadly missed!

To those who may not know...Ted recently passed away from a short illness.

It's crazy man...I just talked to him very recently and he just got out of the hospital and was feeling much better he said.

Then I hear this????

I can't believe it!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It arrived today! Here's a couple of pics of the package wrapped and unwrapped. Seems to have been packed quite well. The next stage is to do a complete inventory. Man, does this aged tweed cabinet ever look awesome! And, it comes with a footswitch, kewl.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
It arrived today! Here's a couple of pics of the package wrapped and unwrapped. Seems to have been packed quite well. The next stage is to do a complete inventory. Man, does this aged tweed cabinet ever look awesome! And, it comes with a footswitch, kewl.

Awesome. Did you get hit for duties on the shipment?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey there. Any updates on the build?

I just ordered a 6A20 (Deluxe Reverb) kit from them. Didn't order a cab though - haven't decided where I'm going with that yet. I'll probably get Trinity Amps to build it in the new year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.