The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum, but anyway...

I've always like Rotosound 'Swing Bass' for 4-string anyway, they're hard to find around here and hard to find on-line. 'Fraid the 4-strings are going to last for a very long time now tho'.

When it came to 5-string, I wanted Roto's but nickel and light guage, around here, just heavier guage XL's that are way overpriced.

So I ordered Hartke .040 - .125 from AXE at $16.91/set, yeah, I know, Chinese mfg. but lookit that price again. The strings are pretty good, better than the orig. strings, hard to tell how long they will last but they are holding up, lots of playing too, stay in tune, have good sustain and B-response, a little more coarse winding than slinky Roto's.

I have two more sets on the way! :banana:

and a compressor, and a Korg tuner, and, and, ....

:wave:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I bought 3 packs of those 5 string Hartke's for $30 a few months ago. Still haven't used them as I had others to be used. Hope they are good-they sure are cheap.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't play Bass but my son does, the last time we changed the strings on his Bass we used Rotosound and he loved them. Even a hack like myself noticed the improvement in sound and they last much longer than Ernie Ball.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
bRian said:
I don't play Bass but my son does, the last time we changed the strings on his Bass we used Rotosound and he loved them. Even a hack like myself noticed the improvement in sound and they last much longer than Ernie Ball.
I haven't played rotos in years, but I did try a set of Ernie Ball Slinky's a couple years ago - did not live up to the name or the price tag IMO.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greenman said:
I'm Roto LE66 and EB Power Slynky both heavy guage. I get mine from Juststrings.com
Thanks Greenman! They have Rotos for like $20US, that'll be my next purchase!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
While we are on the topic can you guys explain the differences in Round Wound and Flat Wound strings please.

Looking at strings the other day I also noticed that they also have a tone style on some, Bright, mellow etc..Do the strings match the tone rating?

I understand string guage with guitars but does it translate over to the Bass as well? What guage is your preference and why?

Thanks
Bev

·
Registered
182 Posts
Round wound strings have a round wire wrapped around a wire core, Flatwounds have a metal 'tape' for lack of a better word. You can also get 1/2 rounds, where the round wire is flattened a bit and tape wounds which are round wound strings with a nylon tape wrap. Generally, to me, round wound strings sound brighter and flatwounds are more 'woody'.

My personal choice for strings are:
MTD Kingston has the original MTD strings on it. It's not that old. I'll probably replace them with the same type. They are round wounds and very bright.
I try all sorts of different strings on the Jazz bass. Currently, it has D'Addario round wounds but they are a bit harsh. I'll probably put the tape wounds on again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bevo said:
While we are on the topic can you guys explain the differences in Round Wound and Flat Wound strings please.

Looking at strings the other day I also noticed that they also have a tone style on some, Bright, mellow etc..Do the strings match the tone rating?

I understand string guage with guitars but does it translate over to the Bass as well? What guage is your preference and why?

Thanks
Bev
Hey Bevo; Flats are easier on your fingers and frets, nickel is easier on the frets vs stainless-steel but don't last as long. Rounds will give you a piano sound, flats will get rid of the squeaky finger noise and sound smoother, like for jazzy stuff. JBassJohn mentioned at the end, 'tape wound', these are usually black and are strings that have a plastic coating for even smoother operation than flats and I guess they would be less prone to cruddy-ness.

I never saw, (or noticed), tone ratings on bass strings <shrug>

I use a medium guage on the 4-string, 45-105 but on 5-string I like the light gauge, I find anything heavier than a .125 B-string is a bit too much for me where I do some bending.

TGIF!!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Thanks

The tone I am after is what Geddy Lee would use with Rush, this is four my 4 string. I do like the tone on the Bass right now but its a cheapy so I know the strings are not the best.

Because he sounds bright I would guess he is using round wounds..sound good?

One of my contractors just told me that they have Jay's season seats right behind him, may just as him:banana:

Bev

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bevo said:
Thanks

The tone I am after is what Geddy Lee would use with Rush, this is four my 4 string. I do like the tone on the Bass right now but its a cheapy so I know the strings are not the best.

Because he sounds bright I would guess he is using round wounds..sound good?

One of my contractors just told me that they have Jay's season seats right behind him, may just as him:banana:

Bev
Geddy Lee has been endorsing Rottosounds for years. I also heard he has some secrets stuffed under his control plate, what I don't know.:wink:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Greenman said:
Geddy Lee has been endorsing Rottosounds for years. I also heard he has some secrets stuffed under his control plate, what I don't know.:wink:
In the 80s Geddy was using Superwounds which were a very thin gauge (30-90) so I would guess he still uses lightish strings.
As for the control plate... I heard his old jazz bass had a broken or wonky tone pot that he never fixed because he liked the tone he got from it. Not sure if that's urban legend or not though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
james on bass said:
I heard his old jazz bass had a broken or wonky tone pot that he never fixed because he liked the tone he got from it. Not sure if that's urban legend or not though.
Maybe thats how he gets that "Geddy Lee" sound.:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Greenman said:
These ones. Aren't they just filling space on the stage? Filled with Rush T-shirts. I believe his rig is under the stage.
Yeah, I;ve heard talk about him having a rig under the stage so he can feel the bass, but I don't believe it. I know he uses an Avalon DI straight to the board and IEMs.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hamm Guitars said:
I haven't played bass for at least twenty years, but I have it on good authority that "La Bella" are the best bass guitar strings money can buy. Any bass players have an opinion on them?
:eek: those strings are like 30-50$ depending on how many strings your bass has. for that price they better be good lol...I play bass once in a while, not too much though. I haven't changed my strings since I got my bass 2 years ago but they are not corroded or anything so it should be fine. The bass doesnt get more than 3 hours a month of playing :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts