The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a manufacturers rep for large sporting goods companies, we sell direct to stores on some products and other products go thru distributors.
Almost without exception the retail price in the U.S. is almost identical to the Cdn retail pricing, in some cases the Cdn price is cheaper!
Now when it comes to guitars I am finding out that we are really getting hosed.
I am in the market for a Squier Jagmaster and almost all prices in the U.S. are at $249 to $269.
I called three different local dealers, two of them are large chain music stores, first not one store or chain store had any in their system second I was quoted a price of $399 Cdn!!!!!!!!:eek:

It just chokes me, I would like to support Cdn retail stores but something is really wrong here either the retailer is sticking it to me or the supplier is sticking it to them:mad:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah and they're probably going to charge you tax on top of that $399, right?

Unfortunately all the stores around here seem to raise their prices so they just seem to beat what it would cost to import from the US. Its really stupid in my opinion to factor in the cost of duties and taxes and such for guitars that they sell in store, but keep in mind those stores have to pay those same taxes before they can stock it on the shelves.

Stupid, but blame the government.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the rant I live in the suburbs and the stores out here really don't seem to care about my business.
I need to apologize and give Long and McQuade kudos, I will have to travel a bit to the store but they had stock and it was $299!!
I was a little frustrated I guess and should have tried closer to town before ranting like that, I was choked that the local Tom Lee who I have been dealing with were jamming me with a hugely high price on that guitar.
I am going to mention this to the head office as I have spent a fair amount there in the past few months and to jack the price 100 bucks over their main competitor was ridiculus.
I just wish there was a Long and McQuade where I lived!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frustrating

That stinks noobcake!
I guess I am a little choked too because I was also dealing withtwo US online dealers www.music123.com and its sister company www.wwbw.com and was treated so well with service, pricing and frieght but they were recently bought out and the frieght on a guitar to be shipped went from 20 bucks to 60 overnite!!
Do check on the wwbw site though as they have been clearing out guitars as it appears they will no longer be carrying guitars there and stick to thier name which is WoodWind BrassWind and music 123 from what I hear will be using them to clear out their old stock as they have changed their whole website to reflect what their new parent company Guitar Centre's Muscians Friend site lists and their pricing.
Guitar center was also recently bought out by a private company so they now have 4 websites and you know some of them will be gone.
There are some good deals still even with the higher frieght and brokerage, just make sure you do your homework price wise concerning exchange brokerage,frieght and taxes.
And I am sure there will be more screaming deals I hope for the consumer.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feel that in musical equipment in general is not something I go to retail for.

Buying musical equipment second-hand is not something were it's easy to get screwed over in terms of quality if you have half a brain. In addition, most musical equipment depreciates very well and you can often re-sell your item for as much money as you bought it for.

Another nice thing is that we all play guitar, which is one of the most prevalent instruments out there. So there's almost always a second-hand market for guitar stuff near you. (check out craiglist) Finally, if you start to buy and sell musical equipment second hand, you will be facilitating that market and ultimately help out everyone.

I havn't gone to a music store for anything except strings in over 2 years and I couldn't be happier with my equipment and the price that I bought them for. Just something to consider...

Cheers
-Falcatarius

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I tried shopping around for Dimarzio Area 58/61 pups for my strat and to buy all three in canada would have cost me $345.00 plus tax!

I ended up calling a shop in the states and I got all three shipped to my door for $190 CDN. Service and shipping time was fantastic as well.

I always try to shop Canadian but...for a 50% saving that included great service and fast shipping, sorry....

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
The thing is they likely order the stock 6-12 months ago when the Cdn $ was lower and what to recoup their $$$/

·
Premium Member
16,989 Posts
you guys are aware that most guitar STORES in the US dont have prices as low as MF/AMS right? if you're lucky, somewhere may price-match MF...but that's not likely.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh Yes

you guys are aware that most guitar STORES in the US dont have prices as low as MF/AMS right? if you're lucky, somewhere may price-match MF...but that's not likely.
Oh yes I am fully aware that those big box stores sell at lower margains, I just want to get a fair deal thats close not the pricing my local Tom Lee quoted me!
Long and McQuade's everyday price on that Jagcaster was better than I expected,I will always pay more for better service too!
In fact after I posted last I called the Surrey store and found they had both in stock and when I asked his name thinking he was on commision like Tom Lee's guys, he said his name then told me anyone there would be more than happy to help me as they were on salary......so its off to Surrey and if all goes well they will get my business.:rockon:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Oh yes I am fully aware that those big box stores sell at lower margains, I just want to get a fair deal thats close not the pricing my local Tom Lee quoted me!
Long and McQuade's everyday price on that Jagcaster was better than I expected,I will always pay more for better service too!
In fact after I posted last I called the Surrey store and found they had both in stock and when I asked his name thinking he was on commision like Tom Lee's guys, he said his name then told me anyone there would be more than happy to help me as they were on salary......so its off to Surrey and if all goes well they will get my business.:rockon:
I think if you could get someone working in a Canadian store to tell you the score you'd find that it's their supplier screwing them!

There are a number of different products in Canada that are sold through very old fashioned channels. From what I've heard I'm convinced that music equipment is one of them.

Years ago Canada was looked upon as a very small market. Compared to most American states that was understandable. Our population in those days was maybe half of what it is today. So they would either set up a branch office or hook up with a Canadian sales rep outfit. Either way, they would carry inventory here in Canada and do all the sales promotion. They marked up the product over a cost that was actually not much better than American resale and sent it out to Canadian distributors.

I saw this selling products like ITT Cannon connectors, Molex, Mallory caps and Bussman fuses, among others. The American factory source got the advantage of shipping fewer but bigger orders to their Canadian master disti and the Canadian stores could order from them in small quantities.

By the time the 70's got rolling the Canadian market volumes had gotten much larger but the old purchasing channels were still there. I'd lose large orders to either ITT Cannon's Canadian office (on volume orders they were not just my supplier but my competitor!) or to an American disti who could resale at my distributor cost!

The situation grew so ridiculous that by the mid to late 80's it fell apart and Canadian electronic distis would just order from the American factory network just as if they were an American reseller.

Wabasso sheets and linens was another product. Stores in Windsor watched as their customers went over the border into Detroit to buy resale at a Windsor store's cost.

Car tires were the same. Free trade came in and eliminated many duties but kept all the paper work! That's where the brokerage fees on ordering guitar parts and speakers from the States comes in.

If any Canadian reseller tried to go around his Canadian master distributor source the factory would refuse his order and often the Canadian master office would pull the reseller's franchise so that he had no source for that brand at all.

Some master reps claim they earn their (usually BIG!) extra markup by adding value to make the product conform to Canadian laws. This most often means a blanket comes over the border and the Canadian rep would stuff a sheet of paper in the package written in both English and French. Big deal!

Textiles has the worst reputation for this. There are a ton of sales rep houses mostly in Montreal that do nothing but relay orders to the American factory. They don't even touch the product, let alone hold inventory. Their take can be 30% or more, in some cases.

As I've posted before, if you're a little store in Smith Falls, Ontario you've got very little clout to change such a situation. You'd like to sell at a competitive price but you'd have to go below your own cost. Obviously, that can't work.

I think over the next 5-10 years things with music stuff will have to change. In the electronics market US factories found that they were losing sales representation in Canada. Distributors would stop carrying a line if they couldn't make money with it. If the factory wanted local people pushing their products into a Northern Telecom plant or Celestica they had to make it a level playing field. An American disti would cheerfully take a big Canadian order but they wouldn't send out salespeople to work with the customer's design engineers every day. It would be just too far to drive!

The Internet is blowing away the idea of geographical sales territories. Guitar and music parts had better follow soon or we won't have any local stores left, except for bigger chains like L & M.

L & M is a great company but do we really want them to have a monopoly in Canada?

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

I personally like the L&M in Langley better than the Surrey one, the one in Langley seems to have a better guitar selection and the one in Surrey has a better drum selection.
Well seeing as the Surrey store has the guitar I want, I may as well head to the Langley store on the way....thanks for the tip:bow:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Have you guys checked the L&M out in Pitt Meadows or wherever town that one is on Ottawa street? Ask for Chuck, he's a super cool dude :)

I think if you could get someone working in a Canadian store to tell you the score you'd find that it's their supplier screwing them!
Very true! There was even a Global news investigation into distributors pocketing the difference in things like books, magazines and greeting cards. Of course, NO ONE would talk to them (suprise). They admitted there was tonnes of others too in different industries, they also weren'ty talking. The regulators (that exist) don't care.

As a small businessman, my motto for pricing is "Compete or Die". If a one man shop like me CAN compete, these other whiners saying "Ohhhhhh, big boxes are running us out..." have no pity from me. If *I* can do it, *they* can do it!

·
Registered
97 Posts
i traded an ampeg bass head in at the surrey store a while back. they gave me $450 for it. (that was what i got it for used in the us). when i went back in a week later they had my old head listed at $1099 and the saleman told me it was new..... :sport-smiley-002:

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
you guys are aware that most guitar STORES in the US dont have prices as low as MF/AMS right?
Yes, but $617.55 Cdn for a Gibson Faded SG Special at MF and $925.00 at L&M?? ($909 at 12th Fret)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Remember that the suppliers are giving big discounts to the stores that order from them in bulk. Places like L+M are getting the guitar for 20-40% less than the mom and pop shops can. It makes it pretty much impossible for smaller stores to compete on price.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Pricing

Remember that the suppliers are giving big discounts to the stores that order from them in bulk. Places like L+M are getting the guitar for 20-40% less than the mom and pop shops can. It makes it pretty much impossible for smaller stores to compete on price.
I agree but it sure doesn't explain the other examples as noted below other than imho Gibson is way overpriced :eek:and Fender gives the musician much better pricing.
Is Gibson in Canada even more greedy than they are in the states?
One of my local mom and pop stores has been smart enough to bring a good alternative to Gibson and Fender so they can compete,they carry Hagstrom and G&L to cover the two styles.:smile:
There is a growing backlash against Gibsons pricing and quality control esp when it comes to their Les Pauls.:mad:

Yes, but $617.55 Cdn for a Gibson Faded SG Special at MF and $925.00 at L&M?? ($909 at 12th Fret)(Robert1950 quote)

But oddly, Fenders seem to be very well priced here. a highway one strat/tele is $750 at MF and they go for $799 at my local Tom Lee.(noobcakes quote)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love Long and McQuade, but I don't remember that last time I bought anything there besides strings and picks. I'd love to support Canadian companies, but with our dollar almost being equal to the US dollar, and not much of a change of prices to equal that, you're way better off going wih Ebay or something.

I was looking at getting a Line 6 DL4. Long & McQuade sells it for $350. There's a new one on Ebay right now for $230...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts