The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me out with finding a good place to get wax for wax potting? I hear the best thing to do is use a mixture of 80% Paraffin Wax with 20% Bees Wax. A good online spot to pick it up cheap would be cool, but somewhere I can drive would be most ideal. I live North of Newmarket, but travel to downtown Toronto often. Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Beeswax is a main ingredien in toilet flange seals...grab one at canadian tire...
I had a plumber friend give me a couple...way cheaper than normal beeswax

Also..make sure you have a thermometer...you dont wan to overheat the pickup

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,822 Posts
Those therapeutic paraffin wax bath things for your feet and hands work great. Temperature is just hot enough to melt the wax, but not too hot to damage the pickups. They are also designed for dipping stuff in them.

FYI - Here's a great place in Canada to buy wax in bulk supply:
http://www.wicksandwax.com/index.htm

·
A Nice Man
325 Posts
If you're planning on making many pickups, bulk ordering from online suppliers is the way to go, hands down. If it's just one or a few (say, under 20), head to Wal-Mart and grab yourself some 100% pure paraffin from the aisle with the mason jars and canning supplies, and a wax ring for toilets from the aisle with the plumbing parts and accessories. As ezcomes pointed out, the wax rings for toilets are ~90% pure beeswax, so a mix of 75% paraffin to 25% toilet ring (by weight) will serve your purposes just fine. I know a bunch of pickup manufacturers who just use paraffin, so that's an option as well. Just try to keep it under 50 celcius/125 fahrenheit.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
parafin wax is available at any hobby store. you can buy blocks of beeswax cheaper than candles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts