The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SG copy at home... VIBE from like the '60s I think, sold by either Eatons/Sears... basically a Teisco/Kawai guitar.

Fun guitar though, sounds good, light, easy to play... needs some serious setup though. Press the string at the 15th fret or higher and it's sitting on the pickup. Lots of buzzing and such.

Anyways... big pickguard. Not like the typical SG, this pickguard extends to the vol/tone knobs as well. The body is routed in the front like a Fender Strat not from the back for the pots.

Pickguard over the years as gone wavy.

My plan was to heat the oven up, maybe 350... turn it off, put the pickguard onto a cookie sheet with some parchment paper and put it in the oven with the door open a few inches. Don't want it cooked or burnt or anything.

Other idea was deep cookie sheet, use hot water from a kettle (not boiling hot) and lay it in the sheet and pour the water in.

Heat gun, maybe but, bit harder to control and can too quickly make a 'spot' in the plastic.

Figured I'd check here and see if any thoughts or opinions. I'd rather salvage what I have than cut a new one. Being an oddball shape, I can't just grab one off eBay from China for $10.

This isn't mine... at "work" right now, so grabbed a Google image.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36763&d=1356576128&thumb=1

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have a similar situation with a mandolin top that my mother-in-laws sister would like me to try and fix.
So what I was thinking was to sandwich the mando top between a couple sheets of plywood with a waterbed heater lined in there as well. Loosely at first then gradually tighten the plywood after a few days.
With the waterbed heater you should be able to regulate the heat with the thermostat.
Haven't tried it yet so no testimonial to its effectiveness. Just a thought.

Regards,

·
Registered
295 Posts
Posted an ad on Kijiji free stuff looking for a waterbed heater. A guy had two.
Go figure.

Regards,

Just had another thought..................car battery warmer might work in a similar way.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it really need to be that elaborate though? I mean... heating it up and laying it flat, would that not flatten on it's own? Or does it need heat and pressure, in which case, maybe a layer of parchment paper to avoid any texture transferring into the plastic from the cloth, a towel to avoid direct heat and a regular iron you use for clothing... ?

·
Registered
295 Posts
You may be correct in that the pressure, applied with heat, may not be necessary for the pick guard but certainly would for the mando top I have.
Whatever or however you attempt your repair I would suggest tracing a template before you proceed .......................because you never know.

Regards,

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny, because I just said that to someone before I opened this up and read your post. :D

On another site it was said that sometimes the plastic may shrink, so to screw it down to a piece of wood and maybe put a sheet of glass on top, put in an oven at 200 for a while.

G

·
Whatever you press it with the surface will take on that pattern.

I would make a new pickguard using the old one as a pattern. Then keep the old one for prosperity.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like what I have, flatness wise. Biggest issue on mine is that the pickup holes are so tight... the one pickup is at a 15 degree angle almost and I can' get it straight without damage. Once flat, I'll have to take a few passes with my file and make the hole just a hair bigger. Seems like most of the issues are around that.

G

·
Good luck.
btw, I had the same style SG as my first electric.
Eaton's special that I received for x-mas when I was 11.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not bad... I enjoy it, it's my sofa guitar. I have to take it apart though and replace the 2-way switches, switchcraft has ones that fit. Pots seem fine, just need flushed a bit. I'll also copper foil the cavity while I'm in there.

Otherwise, really just needs a proper setup done. Even the tuners are still fine.

Only real problem it has is the trem. The angled piece where the trem arm bolts to was snapped off somehow. Luckily, I was just flipping through Kijiji ads, and someone had a photo of like 20 old parts in it for sale. Actually flipped past it and 20sec later clued in what I saw. Exact same trem. Guy was nice enough to sell it on it's own and ship it too because 4h away. Just an absolute fluke I saw it. One popped up on eBay this past week actually, but was asking 3x what I paid. Arm still missing... the repro Teisco arms are oddly expensive ($30-40). Opted for a Brigsby style arm from eBay China for $8. Ordered a month ago... ETA is still mid January. Sigh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts